anyone drive from midwest/chicago to orlando?

We live in Indy, We have never driven, only flown. We can get really reasonable airfare. We usually pay between 90 and 150 round trip. There is no way it would be worth it to us to drive at that cost. There are only 3 of us so that makes a difference too. We always have to add in the cost of extra days off work to drive too, or taking a shorter vacation. We are driving to Dallas this year though, as there are not cheap tickets there. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful time.

We live just outside of Indianapolis. We have driven and flown. It is not a bad drive. We always stop in Valdosta GA. It takes us about 10 hours to get there. My family (me, dh, and dd9) actually like to drive. Now that we own DVC, it is nice to jump in the car and go for a quick trip or a long one. Have Fun!!:flower:

We've driven from the Naperville/Aurora area often. We've done both 57 and 65. We usually head out early Saturday morning and stay in Marietta, GA overnite. Then we drive to WDW and get in the late afternoon. It's really not a bad drive. The last week in March is spring break for most of the schools in the Chicago area. The airfares are always outrageous that week. I'm a teacher and we usually drive over spring break instead of fly.

la vida mickey:

do you prefer 57 or 65? what time do you usually arrive in marietta?

thanks!

Hello there! I hav a friend wo I just rented points to who is driving from Chicago. He likes to drive (they drove to California twice - this with 4 kids (now 5!)). He's going in March, and airfare is really high. Even Southwest was $252 each way!

I understand what you say about flying, but I do wonder if you have tried Midway? It is much easier to get in and out of than O'Hare, and has some cool reasonable food choices (like Superdawg - although their service is sloooow!)?

You really should not fear wrecking a rental! Gee, you should be much more afraid wrecking your own car! The rental comapny is fully prepared for that, believe me! Those cars get so abused, hey are practically disposable. Even notice how you rarely get a rental with many miles on it? Oh, but never buy what they sometimes call "insurance." It isn't insurance, is overpriced for what it is, and often times your credit card can give you similar coverage (YMMV).

Yes flying is a pain, but a very short pain! It's so much quicker and so much safer. Nothing against driving, but do it because you enjoy it or it saves you money, not because flying annoys you!

Sorry you had a bad time with ME too. We used it in late September and had no trouble. We had a late flight in, but we were at the hotel in about an hour (long, but free!). Our bags were delivered about 12:30AM (not bad considering the time we got in). Going back with ME was super easy.

Best thing about Southwest is my Amex card earns filght rewards - we have done several trips for free that way!

MrShiny said:
I understand what you say about flying, but I do wonder if you have tried Midway? It is much easier to get in and out of than O'Hare, and has some cool reasonable food choices (like Superdawg - although their service is sloooow!)?

I strongly disagree that Midway is easier to get in and out of than O'Hare if you are coming from the North or the West. There are many more options to get in and out of O'Hare than Midway from the northern and western suburbs. Yes, the terminal is much improved at Midway, and, yes, there are fewer people to contend with on normal days at Midway, but the discount carriers tend to fly with higher loads than the legacy carriers which makes for more peak period congestion. There are also many fewer baggage carousels at Midway which makes getting luggage even more congested than O'Hare, and getting out of the parking garage at Midway requires getting into the arrival/departure traffic directly unlike O'Hare and you have fewer lanes plus stoplights in all directions coming out of Midway. So, it is no panacea.

Doctor P said:
I strongly disagree that Midway is easier to get in and out of than O'Hare if you are coming from the North or the West. There are many more options to get in and out of O'Hare than Midway from the northern and western suburbs. Yes, the terminal is much improved at Midway, and, yes, there are fewer people to contend with on normal days at Midway, but the discount carriers tend to fly with higher loads than the legacy carriers which makes for more peak period congestion. There are also many fewer baggage carousels at Midway which makes getting luggage even more congested than O'Hare, and getting out of the parking garage at Midway requires getting into the arrival/departure traffic directly unlike O'Hare and you have fewer lanes plus stoplights in all directions coming out of Midway. So, it is no panacea.

I do agree about the carousels! We tend to carry on, but it always a long wait. However getting to the carouseld, because they are so few is much easier.

I have flown out of Midway at many diffrent times, and have always found it less congested than O'Hare, so even with the admittedly longer travel time (I live on the Norhewest side), the overall experience has always been shorter. I general park at the remote lot (which will be great once the parking structure there is complete) if at all, but haven't really expereienced any traffic on the garage ramps, even at a peak hour.

The busiest I've seen Midway, it still has a much smaller density of people than O'Hare, and I've rarely seen anyone flying a less than full flight these days.

I do suggest trying Midway if you haven't. As I said, it has always yielded us a shorter experience (and much better fares).

OK, here is the route my buddy (who loves to drive) takes from the south suburbs of Chicago (the 65 route). He tries to drive 15 hours the first day, so the second is not that bad.

I take 80 to Indiana 65 South, that takes you through Kentucky to Tennessee where you pick up 24 to Atlanta. That takes you to 75 South which goes all the way to the Florida turnpike. Its about 20 miles longer than going down Ill 57 but there are a lot less turns.

MrShiny said:
I take 80 to Indiana 65 South, that takes you through Kentucky to Tennessee where you pick up 24 to Atlanta. That takes you to 75 South which goes all the way to the Florida turnpike. Its about 20 miles longer than going down Ill 57 but there are a lot less turns.

The 57 route doesn't have any more turns than the 65 route. 80 west to 57 south, to 24. The advantage is, there are less major cities to travel through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter