Anyone else sew Disney costumes?

BuzzBelleMom

DIS Veteran
Not even sure if this is the right forum.

DD is a girly girl. 100% Princess and like the Princess and the Pea, cannot stand scratchy things. She's torn two Disney gowns at the waist by pulling at them because they bothered her. That said, luckily I sew.

Last Disney trip, she wore a couple of outfits that I had sewn: Belle and Aurora in pink. She got lots of attention and this time she wants a gown for each day. Unfortunately, she has outgrown Belle & Aurora.

Now to my question, I use cotton, but am having a problem because most of the dresses call for tulle to give the skirts their volume. DD despises tulle.

Any suggestions?

My DD is the same way. I sew all her costumes too. I just leave out the tulle. It may not be as puffy, but my DD is happier!!

Maggie

I was sure my DD was the only one. :sunny:

Problem is she still wants them puffy. If I put too many layers, it will be too heavy for her to wear.

Which patterns do you use? I have both the interchangeable and the more complicated ones from Simplicity.

I'm not a seamstress, but I can do a little basic sewing. Just wondering if you could do a thin lining on the bottom (next to her skin) and then layers of tulle, and then a top layer of fabric. It would only add on thin layer of fabric under the tulle, right? Would that work?

Yes, I did try that. :) That was my first intent, as soon as I found discovered her aversion to tulle. She says she can still feel the scratchiness. :sad2:

Luckily, Snow White and Aurora do not need poufy skirts. The problems are Ariel's wedding dress and Belle's ball gown. That last one is a killer. Belle is her favorite. Belle has a really puffy skirt. I may go crazy yet! :crazy:

I don't like to use tuille in my dd's dresses either. I find that if I get the organza/chiffon that is "pearly shiny", that a few layers of that works almost as well as tuille, but is smooth to her skin. The trick is to gather each layer individually, and then sew them together. It is not cheap, but it does turn out very well.

Good luck,

:wave:

Beca

What a great idea! I will just wait until it is on sale at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

Thanks so much! :cheer2:

I have daughters and have made every princess costume in existence since they suffer from the same "itchy" condition. I have used with great success the same idea that another poster outlined ....... putting a layer of thick 100% cotton on the layer closest to the skin. The only difference is that I make an entire seperate "skirt" that has the cotton layer closest to the skin with the tulle on top. The skirt can then be worn under any of their costumes and for many years (as you can let out elastic). My girls have had all their costumes made this way and there have been no complaints.

I make a ton of costumes. And it doesn't matter what age a girl is, they ALL hate the scratchy tulle! Even some Bridezillas I have made dresses for!

So for my now 22yoDD, and my 4yo DN , and a few dozen other little "Princesses" I do this...

I get a "wife" beater T shirt that is close/a little larger then the size the girl wears, or if an older girl a tank top that is at least 1 inch longer then her shoulder to waist measurement. This allows for seams, and so there is not so much bulk at the waist, but still fulliness....

I make sure the top is not going to fall off there shoulder. Take it up at the shoulder if you need to. If using a wife beater then cut it so it falls 1/12 to 3 inches below the natural waist.

Cut a circle of fabric as long as you need, and big enought to sew to the bottom of the tank/wife beater top when it gently stretched out bigger then the waist/hip by a few inches. You might need to piece it in the middle for a girl older then 5 or 6. Mark off layers that are about 3 to 4 inches from the bottom, making the first one after you hem the bottom of the circle.The lines need to me on the top of the skirt, away from the side that will be next to the legs/skin. I then take the rolls of tulle that is used for crafts and cut 4-6 inch wide, it is 20 to 40 yards long, and in many colors... I use the gathering foot on my machine and sew the tulle as it is gathered, following the marked lines. I only gather the tulle 1 and 1/2 times or 2 times: 4 inchs of ungathered = 2 of gathered, max.

Since the tulle is stitched on a circle of fabric you don't need it very full. And since you are stitching it to a circle it is very, very full! It makes a great underskirt/or play dress. And as the child grows you can add a layer of fabric or cheap eyelet lace to make it longer, which is another reason I make them a few inches below the waist.

Sorry this is so long, hope it helps!

I decided to go with a triple-layer skirt for Belle. The first layer is the satin dress. The next layer is the lining used under wedding dresses (a dollar the yard!) with tons of gathering. I then put a third layer of muslin (a dollar the yard!) with the same amount of gathering. All of the layers and gathering gave it just the right touch.

DD is thrilled and I even made the gauntlets without any problems.

Now it is on to Aurora. The skirt calls for 2 layers, and each one has 16 sections! DD wants it in both pink and blue. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter