Anyone hear of Ion Kids Device?

cabowser

Mouseketeer
I tried to post this last night, but can't find it today, so I must not have done it right. Has anyone heard of the ion kids device for locating kids who have a tendency to wander? I have a child with autism and just ordered one for my son. I have a horrid fear that we will lose him at WDW and he is non verbal. We are leaving in 13 days.

Jan

I have not seen it before, but it looks like a works in a very similar way to something called a Wanderguard that hospitals and nursing homes use to keep track of some mobile people who might wander away.
I don't know if it was that particular device, but the TV show Without a Trace had an episode earlier this year where a child with autism was lost. He had a similar device on (but the dad had left the receiver part at home).

We just got out unit today. I will let you know how it works as we use it this week.

Jan

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I always pin a laminated card with my son's name and where we are staying/phone to his clothes (where he can't pull it off) when we go into to the parks. And I know not everyone would agree, but I still have him ride in one of their strollers a lot of the time even though he will be eight soon - because I can keep better track of him.

You also could get one of those shoe tags for your child. They say lost kid and velcro onto the child's shoe. This way if he does get lost, someone looking at him, could see the lost kid, and use the info in the velco tab to find you.

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/ID-shoes-tags.html

Here is just one place I quickly googled, so you can see what it looks like. Not affiliated or know anything about this site, just a quick google for a pic.

Connie

Hi Jan,

Don't know if you have been to WDW before but the strollers there are not typical strollers and you see a lot of bigger kids in them so it may be a good place to keep him contained.

Mike

I have seen the strollers and wish I could rent a double, but I am bringing our double stroller because $$$ is just so tight here.

We had to go shopping yesterday and took all three kids to Sam's club. This is where we lost Charlie the Saturday before. But this time we had them all wearing their ion kids wristbands. We thought that we would have trouble getting them to wear them, but we would say "Wonder Kids -- ACTIVATE!" and they loved it. So they were wearing them that day.

The strange thing is, no only did they not get lost, not a one of them wandered. They stayed closer and when Charlie beeped due to getting out of range, he would come back into range to make his band quit beeping. I have been putting his wristband on him every day whether we need it or not, just so that he stays used to it.

He tried chewing it off at first, but couldn't get it off. So that is good, they really are tamper proof.

The other report I have to make is that the company gave me $45.00 off because I have a child with autism. I think that they also do it for Downs.

Jan

Will you be able to hear the beep at WDW? There is constant background music/noise/loudspeakers going - does this device just depend on you hearing a beep?

I think I will hear it, plus it vibrates as well. I would probably attach it to my shirt front to hear it better. It has a clip that goes on a belt or lanyard or whatever.

Jan

That's great that it vibrates too. The background sounds (especially in Future World and Tomorrowland) are so odd that I hear beeping noises there, and think my husband's cellphone is on.

It also flashes red, and has a lighted screen, so even in the dark we can see what is going on.

Honestly, I wish we would have done this a long time ago. It is so freeing because now Charlie is staying "in range" to keep his wrist tag from beeping. He comes back into range after he has beeped. It is just wonderful. I find that when he beeps when we are out I look at the machine first because it tells me exactly what direction to start looking in. It is hard to find a kid in a store or a sea of people, you look in a circle and can't see anyone, but this thing points me to him and it has not been wrong so far.

With a child like Charlie, it could save his life. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but they gave me a 21% discount on it for having a child with autism. So that was nice. I am still praying that God will pay it off before the bill comes.

Oh one more thing, I didn't have time before our trip to order the shoe ID things, so I am making some. Thanks for the wonderful idea. I am putting it on his shirt though, because he takes off his shoes all the time.

Jan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter