• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone own a Sears X-Cargo rooftop carrier / cargo box?

Grim_Grinning_Girl

DIS Veteran
Hi, wondering if anyone owns a Sears X-Cargo rooftop cargo box that looks just like this one:

!BVYrhR!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKSPv7FwVw~~_1.JPG

We had purchased a used Karrite box but the plastic is too flimsy. Someone has the Sears one for sale in our area, but the shell on this particular image looks dented, which tells me that this one may be thin and flimsy too.

We want one that can't be pressed in by our hand, we want thick and sturdy like a THULE but affordable. We would love a THULE but it's not the right time now $$$$$.

Hi, just following up on my post. We decided to check things out, and it is also thin and flimsy.

Now I have a question regarding THULE cargo box carriers. Are there some THULE boxes that are on the cheapy not-so-great quality side? Or is it safe to say that all THULE models are very sturdy and heavy duty?

I see there are black Thule boxes, but also grey top ones. Anyone know if the grey tops are as sturdy as the black ones?

I havent owned either of these...but its killing me that this thread is being ignored.I DID have a canvas rooftop carrier....it had scooby doo all over it. It was not exactly weather proof though. I like turtles.

I havent owned either of these...but its killing me that this thread is being ignored.I DID have a canvas rooftop carrier....it had scooby doo all over it. It was not exactly weather proof though. I like turtles.

Thanks for your pity post :yay: ! We have a Disneyland trip coming up in about a week in a 1/2 so hoping to have something by then, huge group this time!

We're giving in a purchasing a Thule cargo box (black). My dad will be celebrating his birthday at Disneyland so my mom and I decided to get it as a surprise gift - plus we have a family member who works at R.E.I., discount :banana: !!!

We had an older version of the Sears xcargo, it was hard plastic, did not leak and got terrific service out of it for a number of years before we sold it. Guess they must make them cheaper these days..

We had an older version of the Sears xcargo, it was hard plastic, did not leak and got terrific service out of it for a number of years before we sold it. Guess they must make them cheaper these days..

The gray top Sears X-Cargo is light weight and the plastic jiggles a little when you move it, also easy to flex with little effort, not something you would trust to sit on top of - unlike a hard plastic cooler. The cost is less expensive and I think I would trust it for moderate to light traveling. But due to its light weight I think it may vibrate a lot while driving especially if it's empty.

There's a higher quality version of the Sears X-Cargo, it's all black and I think it's considered and called the "Sports" model, or SV. Someone parked on our street with one the other day, we immediately ran up to it to touch and poke . Seemed thicker but still bent in with hand pressure. I'm not the picky one, my dad is!

Sorry for not posting earlier, we were building an ark while camping at the beach. Saw the sun for ONE HOUR the whole week. No kidding. No photos because it was foggy, misty or rainy the whole time.

Anyhoo. We had one of the older Sears X-cargo turtle backs about 15 years ago (actually, still have it up in the overhead above the garage). It worked well, but the plastic near the hinges eventually flexed enough to start to crack and let water in. We used to send ratchet straps over the top to make sure it stayed attached to the roof. On our first journey out to Chicago with it on the roof we noticed another van passing us with theirs on the roof, and the front two straps had come free. The poor people had no idea that the turtle back was only held with the back two straps, was periodically lifting up and getting ready to sail off the van and become a road target. Next stop, we got the tie downs and made sure ours was not going to come off!

Good luck on the trip, I think you will be much happier the Thule for a long trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter