Anyone reading Kingdom Keepers?

pixieprincessmom

DIS Veteran
Is anyone reading the novel Kindom Keepers II? It is a Jr. Novel. The first one was set in MK, the new one in AK. My DD 12 enjoyed the (but she is a reader), but now my DN who is not really a reader is reading I and enjoying it. It has lots of park research and talks about many places in the parks. (In the books the villians come to life).

Thought some of you or your kids might be interested in reading, they are not really advertised too much from what I've seen.

I read them both:lmao:

I bought the first for my DSS12, he took it along on vacation and I decided to read it and make it a contest. Well I could not put it down and ended up finishing it in a day, then on a whim I looked to see if there were any more and found out the sequel had just been released, so I bought it and finished it, my DSS12 is still working on the first...

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup2 I just looked at our public library's online catalog, found the 1st one on CD and put in a request for it--we're going on a trip this weekend, will have a 6 hour drive and will enjoy having something fun to listen to!

I read them both. I thought they were both poorly written, both had too many holes and gaps, in both books the characters lacked character and I did not care for the way he wrote in all of the CMs - they were all jerks, idiots or hateful.

My 10-year old read the first and is half-way through the 2nd. She said she could have written a better book. ;)

I just recently found out abt Kingdom Keepers and the Peter and the Starcatchers series. I'm starting with Peter first. So far I really like it!

I read them both. I thought they were both poorly written, both had too many holes and gaps, in both books the characters lacked character and I did not care for the way he wrote in all of the CMs - they were all jerks, idiots or hateful.

My 10-year old read the first and is half-way through the 2nd. She said she could have written a better book. ;)

I really WANTED to like the first book.

It's a great idea for a series of books... spectacular, in fact...
but why not keep the facts of the familiar rides intact so that those of us who know the place so well could relate directly to them on our visits?

The major problem for me was that it was SUPPOSED to be carefully-researched.
The author had major access to the parks and had CMs assisting his studies of the attractions and operations of WDW.

But, the HUGE inaccuracies of the descriptions of the rides were very hard to ignore.

I'm not discussing Pirate AAs and iasw dolls coming to life... that's just part of the story... but the author constantly made errors in how the rides were physically described.

Something that many, MANY of us here could have helped him with.

The book's heroes are described as swimming the water channels at Splash Mountain.
GREAT idea (we've all thought about what might happen if we "fell out of the log"!)
So, go with that... a really slick plot point... but the author simply LEFT OUT the last lift hill as part of the description and had them plunge to the drop from a flat area.

Nit-picky?
Well, not when the lift hill is as much a part of the attraction as is the drop itself. Anyone who has Splash Mountain as a favorite would wonder why the author "forgot" it or chose to ignore that it is part of the ride.

The dinosaur bones come to life in BTMRR.., another great idea.
But he has the characters running along the BTM tracks... to the exit... for what seems to be an hour, after they first reach those bones.

Anyone who has ridden BTM (or stood in the queue) knows that the dino bones are about 50 feet from the exit area.

Anyone who loves the books (and there are MANY, MANY fans) will be upset that I find fault with them, but I don't find fault in the PREMISE... it is just in the careless use of the very SPECIFIC locations... locations that are always there to see by millions of guests every year.

I am a writer. I understand "artistic license" (and the magic that it can create) but
it is generally better to branch into fantasy FROM a spot firmly planted in reality.
Just get the realistic details correct, and the fantasy can play much better within them.

There is a scene in the first book where the characters
are described riding the Monorail from MK... to the Studios (now DHS.)
I find that one impossible to ignore or defend.

Robo, I am glad that pointed out about the inaccuracies about the rides. It is a little odd that the author didn't use an accurate description of WDW. It is so well known. My DD is 9 and we are reading the book now. Although it is an interesting book, it was disappointing for us because we know these rides so well.

Read Kingdom Keepers. Loved the first 3/4s of book but it completely fell apart for me at the end. I expected and wanted more.

I really WANTED to like the first book.

The author simply LEFT OUT the last lift hill [in Splash Mountain] as part of the description and had them plunge to the drop from a flat area.

He has the characters running along the BTM tracks... to the exit... for what seems to be an hour, after they first reach those bones.

There is a scene in the first book where the characters are described riding the Monorail from MK... to the Studios (now DHS.) I find that one impossible to ignore or defend.

I have not read Kingdom Keepers, but I really WANT to like it too. I will move it up my book list right away. I think it is fair to have a healthy discussion about any factual people and places that are referenced by an author (and it may lead to a new thread, I apologize to the OP). This Disney premise has so much potential.

It is unfortunate that young readers who have never visited a Disney park may be reading a partial misrepresentation from these novels. The CMs involved with the books should have closely edited the story to catch these errors. For example, the monorail from MK to DHS/MGM is unacceptable and could actually cause Disney first-timers to be confused about their options someday.

I don't find fault in the PREMISE... it is just in the careless use of the very SPECIFIC locations... locations that are always there to see by millions of guests every year.

It is generally better to branch into fantasy FROM a spot firmly planted in reality. Just get the realistic details correct, and the fantasy can play much better within them.

I think this is well-said. I am an editor for an industry publication, so I can be picky about details. The ability to set the stage properly is precisely why I loved "The Da Vinci Code." Grounding readers in reality before creating fantasy is likely why there are millions of visitors in Paris or the Vatican City who want a chance to "see" the places described in Dan Brown's novels. It is well-done. His fiction directly stems from well-known places, places that I have visited and photographed over the years... just like when I'm at Disney World.

I would hope that this Kingdom Keepers series would present the Disney parks in a similarly detail-oriented way. Thanks for the discussion and for peaking my curiosity, everyone. I will keep my flame suit ready, and I look forward to getting my hands on a set of these books soon.

I want to read it. I just checked my kids' AR list and its not on their's. I bet my DD will want to read it anyway though.

I bought the book a while a go but haven't gotten around to reading it. I hope to get to it after I am done with current book that I am slooowwwlllyyy reading not sure why this one is taking so long

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter