anyone received incentive as lure to dvc

siouxi31

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone out there received an offer from Disney to see DVC? For example, received a marketing offer in the mail to come stay at Disney for discounted rate so long as you complete a DVC tour during your stay?
Or, let's say you are vacationing at Disney and decide to check into DVC--do they offer any type of incentive such as discounting your current vacation or negotiation on the price per points?
This question was sparked because I received an offer from Orlando Hilton for 3 night 4 day stay including 2 tickets to Universal (which I really don't care much for) for $169.00 as long as we viewed their vacation club. If I were to go to DVC, view what they have, and then tell DVC that I wanted to see what Hilton had to offer (as if), would Disney cut a better deal to get me to buy into DVC instead of going to see Hilton? I feel like a schmuck asking about this but it crossed my mind and maybe there are others out there wondering the same thing.

Disney doesn't "cut deals" or offer any other incentives (besides the magical beginnings program, which isn't much of a deal or an incentive now that they cut it to $5 per point if you ask me). They can hardly build resorts on property fast enough so they certainly don't need to bribe people into buying. I think occasionally they do have good rates at Vero or Hilton Head Island though.

Basically buying into DVC is like buying a Saturn (not that I'm a Saturn owner, but I did check them out once!) You don't deal, bargain or negotiate with your guide. You pay full retail price and for that price you get a hassle free transaction and the promise of great service and quality.

Lisa

hi: we never received any incentive, other than securing accommodations until 2041. we were kicking ourselves for not buying in 93 when we first heard about dvc. we bought sight unseen at bwv and even did an add on last year before the price increase and sell-out at bwv. i have heard of dvc giving out a lunch pass to somewhere like the flying fish, but nothing else. it will be interesting to see if there actually is any type of incentive offer.

Thanks Lisa. Good to know. I won't waste my energy or thoughts checking into this further.

When we bought in late March, we did the presentation right when they opened...
Our DS of 5yrs old was in the play club & after about 2 1/2 hours we told the guide we needed to think about it & get something to eat...
He gave us a lunch pass to eat at any of the Boardwalk restaurants...
We came back after lunch & said yes!

They do not offer any on-site at WDW offers to stay at DVC and take the tour in exchange for free or reduced room rates (like some other timeshares offer). But, they do sometimes offer these programs at Vero Beach and Hilton Head. Check the Magical Vacations section of www.disneyvacationclub.com and see what's available.

The HH property has definitely used a stay 3 nights at $99 a night and get the 4th night free promotion in the past. It usually runs from October until the end of March and is for a 2 bedroom. Vero has also done similar types of offers, just not sure of the dates. It is very low key. My in-laws did the deal at HH and after a cup of coffee and 15 minutes (after declining a more detailed tour) were back by the pool. Maybe one could do one of these tours and then join with WVL as their home. Just think if you had joined back in the early 90's you could have gotten free passes until 1999.

Sorry all, I don't consider a free lunch to be much of an incentive to purchase DVC (there's no way I'd spend a minimum of $10k just to get a "free" lunch!) ;)

I thought what the original poster was asking was whether he could get DVC to come down in price by feigning interest in another time share or whether he could get discounted rooms in order to come see the properties, neither of which disney does for properties in orlando. I remember the saturn dealer gave me a full can of soda and some cookies while we sat and talked also but I didn't see that as an incentive to buy, I saw it more as "making the customer comfortable and happy so they are more likely to want to sign now."

Baileybrad, are those $99 rates available to members who don't have HH as one of their home resorts? Wow, for a $99 for a two bedroom (even without the free 4th night!) I'd definately give it a try and listen to any DVC spiel!

Lisa

I was wondering if anyone out there received an offer from Disney to see DVC?
was the first question asked.
a better deal to get me to buy
was another question in the post.

"Lunch" was part of the incentive for us to take the time out of our vacation to see DVC. It certainly wasn't an incentive to buy. Seeing what DVC had to offer in terms of accomodations was our incentive to buy.
:D

Lisa, I've seen conflicting answers as to whether members of DVC can use the reduced rate incentive at Vero and/or HHI. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. (FYI to anyone thinking of trying this, as soon as you speak to a DVC person and they check the computer it will come up that you are a member. So, might as well be straightforward to start with and ask whether we qualify before being disappointed.)

My wife and I bought in 1996 and the deal then was that you were able to apply most of your current Disney Hotel stay to your down payment. It was based on hotel class. We were staying at Port Orleans, so we were able to apply $100 per night (5 night stay), so we got a $500 credit. We needed to give back a certain number of points during the first use year, however.

Since we were just at Disney, it was a great trade off.

I loved the no-pressure sell. If they had done any high pressure sales tactics, I would have been out of there real quick.

Scott

We got the same deal in Oct 97 when we stayed at the Polynesian. We were able to apply some of our stay at the Polynesian towards the downpayment. We got lemonade and cookies during the presentation. But we signed before we left.

As an aside, if you look on the DVC website, it notes the reduced rates at VB for two/three nights (something like that). But it also states in small print at the bottom that the offer is not available to current DVC members.

Originally posted by Scott5150
My wife and I bought in 1996 and the deal then was that you were able to apply most of your current Disney Hotel stay to your down payment. It was based on hotel class. We were staying at Port Orleans, so we were able to apply $100 per night (5 night stay), so we got a $500 credit. We needed to give back a certain number of points during the first use year, however.

I think they were still doing this when we were on our honeymoon in 1998 (at least that's what I remember the literature implying). By the time we bought in May of 1999 the offer had changed to the current "magical beginnings" program where you can sell back points for a discount on your purchase (but I don't see this as cutting a deal with Disney since they're definately getting something out of it too).

As far as getting a free lunch goes, I still don't think it's along the same lines as 3 days with passes for $169 in exchange for seeing a presentation, but whatever works for you!

Lisa

I don't think you should waste your time at Disney, go take that Marriot offer (they'll tell you it's JUST like staying in WDW ):rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what THEY'LL tell you. But we know that its not the same. You won't get all the on-site perks. DVC is such a soft sell that they don't need to barter with you to buy their property. It's selling like hotcakes at VWL. Take the Hilton offer to get to WDW and see what's there. Then look up DVC, take their tour and make up your own mind. ;)

We we bought into the DVC they were offering an incentive to buy. That was at the time when they were offering the free park admission passes through 12/31/1999. That was an incredible incentive as the ticket savings alone probably paid for close to 1/3 or more of our initial investment. From what I understand Disney did not offer this incentive for long as the DVC became popular very quickly and the incentive wasn't needed any longer.

We just returned from 16 days that included 4 nites at the new Marriott Grand Vista, BWV and HH. In HH, if you pick up a local info guide, Disney has a whole page ad for HH preview tour. If you take it,you get a diner or "Dynamic Dolphine Discovery Tour". We stayed at the Marriott on a preview package: 5 days/4 nites for $199.00 plus wevgot $75.00 in gift certificates that were accepted as cash at several great restraunts or any on property purchase. The resort was very nice,did have some issues but I also have some issues about DVC resorts.If WDW has no special meaning to an individual, then I'd recommend Marriott to DVC.

If you are looking to save money buying DVC, one way would be to check out a resale. The sponsor of this board usually has a nice selection!

Wow! I've certainly learned alot!
I had heard that if buying into DVC during a vacation at WDW, that they would credit your stay--but wasn't sure if this was a rumor. Thank you all for the information.
I did once receive an invite to Hilton Head but didn't go. It would have used our saved airfare for that trip instead of WDW--and I couldn't let that happen.
Thanks again, Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter