Anyone use Sunpass while in Orlando?

tgropp

DIS Veteran
We were in Orlando last December and again last month. On both occasions I used the Sunpass transponder and both occasions I also received extra charges from the car rental agency. I have been using Sunpass for years with no problems. I think that I had read that others were having problems with the last toll pass before the airport. I thought that it may be defective (low battery?) but it did read and charge on my account at six other toll booths during our stays. Any others have problems? I am going to try and contact Sunpass tomorrow as they are closed on the weekends.

I was last in Florida in December and had no issues with my Sunpass Pro. I recall getting dinged years back for a supposed missed toll, and with the administrative charges added on, it was a pretty significant amount. I'll be following this thread as I'm back down next week.

We have a pretty old transponder (we’re out of state) and don’t have any issues. Within a couple of days all the tolls show up online and I have not been double billed by Alamo. If I was, I think I would snap a pic of my online account for the rental’s license tag that shows the date/time of the paid toll and send to Alamo with what they charged to get a reversal.

Also, be sure you have followed the directions about placement on the windshield because all the new gadgets on the shield can interfere if placed too close.

Havent used ours in Orlando recently, but did cross the Rainbow bridge last month and no issues at all. Love that it works up here too. Now only if it worked on the 407 and reduced those crazy costs there.

Follow Up. I just got off the phone with Sunpass and the problem is what I expected. Both times that I got charges were from getting the car at the airport, entering the plate number on my Sunpass account and then leaving the airport to Highway #417, all within 5-10 minutes. The Sunpass agent told me that it may take from 1-4 hours for the newly added plate to be activated. So now I will pay at the toll booths leading to Disney on the first day which is no big deal.

Follow Up. I just got off the phone with Sunpass and the problem is what I expected. Both times that I got charges were from getting the car at the airport, entering the plate number on my Sunpass account and then leaving the airport to Highway #417, all within 5-10 minutes. The Sunpass agent told me that it may take from 1-4 hours for the newly added plate to be activated. So now I will pay at the toll booths leading to Disney on the first day which is no big deal.
Thanks for the follow up and letting others know

Interesting. I'm usually headed towards the 417 within a few minutes of activating the plate, but thankfully, haven't run into this issue. Will see what happens next week! Thanks for the update.

Interesting. I'm usually headed towards the 417 within a few minutes of activating the plate, but thankfully, haven't run into this issue. Will see what happens next week! Thanks for the update.
Same here. I wonder if it’s related to the vendor one uses for you car rental. We never have an issue with Alamo.

I always make sure to tell the car rental that I have a sunpass and won't be using theirs and then register the license plate in my sunpass account. I've never had any additional charges as of yet? I also make sure that if it has any of those toll pass things that flips out mounted on the windshield, that they are closed so there is no confusion. I usually use avis, but I had a bad experience last time with being quoted a different price for insurance and then being charged an extra $1000 that took months to clear up, so I think I'm going to try alamo instead next time.

Please let us know how you fare out. I used Avis in Dec and Hertz last month. All other times over the years I have rented with Budget. It usually takes two weeks for the extra toll charges from the car rental to appear.

Please let us know how you fare out. I used Avis in Dec and Hertz last month. All other times over the years I have rented with Budget. It usually takes two weeks for the extra toll charges from the car rental to appear.
Will do. I rent through Costco, it's been Budget the last few times, but it looks like Alamo will be my ride this time around.

I was last in Florida in December and had no issues with my Sunpass Pro. I recall getting dinged years back for a supposed missed toll, and with the administrative charges added on, it was a pretty significant amount. I'll be following this thread as I'm back down next week.
I found this one interesting on our trip last March with Sunpass Pro. Previously we had regular Sunpass on our vehicles. No problems at all in Orlando. When we returned home we used the express lanes through Charlotte NC because traffic was getting heavy, and the very first gantry I hit did a toll by plate (photo) instead of triggering through the transponder. It did link up to my Sunpass account for the charge, and no surcharges (although I think it was about a buck higher than the transponder fee?) But the rest of the toll gantries read my transponder and tolled properly. Thinking it was probably just a delay because it was the first time using the transponder with NCDOT. It does take a few days longer for the out-of-state tolls and bridges to show up on the account than the in-state charges.

Leaving Friday for our next trip down south - 2 weeks in SC and FL will see if I have any issues.

We have a car we keep in Orlando and use it often with no problems. But if I’m understanding you correctly just know if your transponder does end up activated it will still add the charge even if you pay cash. They say you can wrap it in foil to prevent that from happening.
Edit to add, if your transponder is in your car it will pick up the toll charge even when paying cash. Did this by mistake on the New York toll and I know the Orlando tolls will do the same.

We have a car we keep in Orlando and use it often with no problems. But if I’m understanding you correctly just know if your transponder does end up activated it will still add the charge even if you pay cash. They say you can wrap it in foil to prevent that from happening.
Edit to add, if your transponder is in your car it will pick up the toll charge even when paying cash. Did this by mistake on the New York toll and I know the Orlando tolls will do the same.
But when you roll up to the booth, either it will read the transponder and the light will change or it won't. If the light changes, the transponder read and there is no problem, if it doesn't, you pay cash and there is no problem.

I had Alamo this time around. It's looking like I'll have them again in June, they seem to consistently be the cheapest price through Costco (although the rates are no longer the great bargain they once were). No issues using my Sunpass Pro.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter