AP and buying magic band

MischaOz

DIS Veteran
Sorry, another AP question here! Thank you all so much for the help you've given so far!!

So, I understand that I need to go to either the ticket booth or guest services to activate our APs. I also understand that the magic bands are not shipped ahead of time and we won't be able to have them for our trip.

SO, I'm thinking of buying a magic band just for myself for photopass purposes (to avoid having to take my card out all the time, and also so we can get photopass on rides like 7DMT). If I buy a magic band, will I be able to link it to my AP ahead of time? Or do I need to wait until after my AP is activated to link the magic band? Is there any advantage to ordering one ahead of time, or should I just pick one up when I get there?

Thanks!!

Sorry, another AP question here! Thank you all so much for the help you've given so far!!

So, I understand that I need to go to either the ticket booth or guest services to activate our APs. I also understand that the magic bands are not shipped ahead of time and we won't be able to have them for our trip.

SO, I'm thinking of buying a magic band just for myself for photopass purposes (to avoid having to take my card out all the time, and also so we can get photopass on rides like 7DMT). If I buy a magic band, will I be able to link it to my AP ahead of time? Or do I need to wait until after my AP is activated to link the magic band? Is there any advantage to ordering one ahead of time, or should I just pick one up when I get there?

Thanks!!

Personally I would wait until I were in the parks, buy a cool one and use your AP for your discount.

Do you have any old MB's on your MDE that you can bring? They will still work.

Are you staying onsite by chance? If so, you'll get a magic band with your resort reservation.

If you buy it ahead of time, it will be linked to your MDE account and it will work for your AP once your AP is activated. But, I agree with waiting until you get there and picking out a cool one with a discount! We always stay onsite, so we have lots of bands, but my DS and I bought the special AP Pandora bands where we were there for the opening. Love them!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'll wait til we get there. We stay offsite so no old magic bands, unfortunately.

Yea wait until you're at the park and get a cool one. At a few spots you can even custom make your own MB. Activate your AP, get your AP card, then go get a limited edition MB or something other than a plain colored one, and use your AP discount for the purchase.

Once you buy it you go on MDE and it takes 30 seconds to link it your MDE account and then you're good to go

Thanks!!
Don't be sorry, I've been following your posts because they help me out with my own AP related questions!

Cool! If anyone has suggestions of where to find the best selections of magic bands, please share! I'm thinking Mouse Gears?

If you purchase Magic Bands on the Shop Disney Parks App it will "recognize" that you have APs on your MDE account and will automatically give you the AP discount. I LOVE having lots of different Magic Bands on our trips and I have purchased several from the Shop Disney Parks App and the site automatically gave me an AP discount. We haven't activated our APs yet either. They have some really cool limited edition Magic Bands on the site and some really cute designs.

I agree with noting oil you get to your resort if you are staying on site they will give you one for free.. i

If you purchase Magic Bands on the Shop Disney Parks App it will "recognize" that you have APs on your MDE account and will automatically give you the AP discount. I LOVE having lots of different Magic Bands on our trips and I have purchased several from the Shop Disney Parks App and the site automatically gave me an AP discount. We haven't activated our APs yet either. They have some really cool limited edition Magic Bands on the site and some really cute designs.
Thank you very much! I will definitely check out the app!

If you're into Star Wars, you can have one specially made in the Launch Bay shop at DHS. That's where I had my Boba Fett one made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter