April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Inagural Wonder to Hawaii-Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain how Beach Blanket Buffet functions for dinner? Is it an open buffet? I may be totally messing up cruiselines - but I remember one of them has reservations for the buffet and it is a sit down dinner - with waiters. Is that how DCL does it? Do they have restricted hours?

For those who have not participated before, the money we chip in for Champagne Girls barely covers half the cost of the beverges. Previously Deb has paid for all the favors (in our case the leis and hair flowers) and half the bubblies. For 100 of us, that is going to be a larger chunk than in past cruises when the group was 30 plus or minus.

:idea: I would like to suggest that we each plan to bring a few extra dollars to toss into the kitty to help her out. My category is Guzzler and was $10. I am planning to bring at least $5 extra.

I am willing to bet that Deb will tell us she does not need or expect this, but I think it would help her out. She does not need to go broke on this party.

It could be totally anonymous--each of us does what she feels led to do. How about that?

Jan
:thumbsup2 Fab idea - I'm in!

Can someone explain how Beach Blanket Buffet functions for dinner? Is it an open buffet? I may be totally messing up cruiselines - but I remember one of them has reservations for the buffet and it is a sit down dinner - with waiters. Is that how DCL does it? Do they have restricted hours?

I have never had dinner at the buffet, but from what I have heard, they have a salad bar, but otherwise it is a sit down dinner and the food is either a mixture of what is offered in the different dining rooms for the nights when the rotational menu is served or the same as in the dining rooms on the other nights. I have also heard that they have a great Porterhouse Steak.

Corinna

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking of creating some t shirts on vistaprint. Today's Groupon deal is $17 for $70 worth of vistaprint (and 30% off the regular prices too). According to the offer, the only things not covered are tax & shipping.

Is there a code for that? I'm a newbie with Vista & couldn't find it!!

Can someone explain how Beach Blanket Buffet functions for dinner? Is it an open buffet? I may be totally messing up cruiselines - but I remember one of them has reservations for the buffet and it is a sit down dinner - with waiters. Is that how DCL does it? Do they have restricted hours? ...

It sometimes is both - but no reservations required!!

In Dec. on the Wonder, it was mostly a partial buffet (salad & pasta) with sit-down ordering for entrees from a limited assortment. The waiters there are "in training" so tipping is not expected, but they do table service.

Then a couple nights, they did strictly buffet - but it was a large assortment of seafood. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 Fab idea - I'm in!

We spend formal and semiformal nights in Beach Blanket since you can go casual there each night.

They are open from like 6-8 or 8:30 each night.

They don't take reservations that I know of - you walk up and a host seats you.

They use servers and there is a menu - the servers are sort of 'in training'...and the menu has items from the other menus downstairs and some regular items. I go for the porterhouse steak - it's great...sometimes they have a ribeye though and it's good too.

They do have demo plates out on display that they walk you past on the buffet so you can see the selections before you get to your table.

There's a small salad bar if you don't want one of the prepared salads from the menu.

We really enjoy the casual option. We do dress up when we drive to FL to catch the ship, but when we fly, we don't tend to take the suits and shoes to keep the luggage manageable.

I have never had dinner at the buffet, but from what I have heard, they have a salad bar, but otherwise it is a sit down dinner and the food is either a mixture of what is offered in the different dining rooms for the nights when the rotational menu is served or the same as in the dining rooms on the other nights. I have also heard that they have a great Porterhouse Steak. Corinna

Yes!! DH loved that, but the night we went, it was the buffet only so he couldn't get it! :scared1: You might check ahead of time though - maybe with some notice...?

Is there a code for that? I'm a newbie with Vista & couldn't find it!!

The offer was sent to me by Groupon. Try going to groupon.com and signing up? (I am a total newbie at this - I registered at Groupon long ago, they send offers occasionally, but I've never purchased one before this). Maybe someone else more familiar with Groupon can help.

Debbie

Both the service and the food at BB/TS can be erratic - one night other parties had come and gone before we inquired about and finally received our entrees - and three out of four of our dishes were fabulous and one was terrible. We still like it as an alternative because the food isn't mass produced and generally comes warmer than downstairs.

If groupon has a deal you'll use, they're generally good ones that can save you as much as 50 -70% off retail. Just don't be tempted to deals you "might" use, because you might not, too, and that negates the savings.

Both the service and the food at BB/TS can be erratic - one night other parties had come and gone before we inquired about and finally received our entrees - and three out of four of our dishes were fabulous and one was terrible. We still like it as an alternative because the food isn't mass produced and generally comes warmer than downstairs.

If groupon has a deal you'll use, they're generally good ones that can save you as much as 50 -70% off retail. Just don't be tempted to deals you "might" use, because you might not, too, and that negates the savings.

We have purchased a number of things from Groupon and have gotten great deals. But I agree with Linda that you have to be careful. In addition to deals that you purchase and then they expire, be sure to read all the small print, go to the merchants website and even call before purchasing. Sometimes the certificates can only be used on certain dates and only a certain number of certificates can be used each day. Meaning if others have used the certificate on that day before you they may not accept yours.

Also, with the dining coupons there can be restrictions. Yesterday we meet friends at a restuarant in Half Moon Bay and they would only accept one coupon per table, even though they let us pay with separate checks.

The Vista deal sounds really good but I couldn't find it on Groupon to check it out. I was going to look and see if you could use it with any other promotional offers because Vista is always offering some kind of deal. If you can, it is a really really a good offer.

momdebmickeysmall.jpg

This help? I was one of those crazy pin people. :) I was at the store last week actually.

Debbie

I do remember you guys. You would stand in the line on Saturday mornings for the new pins. Those were the days when we had the Gallery. I have seen you on TV a couple of times when they have you on about your "real" job. This is GREAT. I am going to send you a PM. Maybe we can get together before we go.

Dale

We have purchased a number of things from Groupon and have gotten great deals. But I agree with Linda that you have to be careful. In addition to deals that you purchase and then they expire, be sure to read all the small print, go to the merchants website and even call before purchasing. Sometimes the certificates can only be used on certain dates and only a certain number of certificates can be used each day. Meaning if others have used the certificate on that day before you they may not accept yours.

Also, with the dining coupons there can be restrictions. Yesterday we meet friends at a restuarant in Half Moon Bay and they would only accept one coupon per table, even though they let us pay with separate checks.

The Vista deal sounds really good but I couldn't find it on Groupon to check it out. I was going to look and see if you could use it with any other promotional offers because Vista is always offering some kind of deal. If you can, it is a really really a good offer.

The Vista deal said it could not be used with other promotions BUT it said the special link from the groupon coupon would include 30% off regular prices. I don't know how to "find" deals on groupon if its not sent to you - but maybe try Daytona Beach for a location - that's how I have mine set up. (And the Vista deals doesn't expire until 5/30/12).

On a happier note ... picked up my new 2012 Corolla today ...My first new car since the late 80s! It is so nice!!!

Congrats on the new car!

:idea: I would like to suggest that we each plan to bring a few extra dollars to toss into the kitty to help her out. My category is Guzzler and was $10. I am planning to bring at least $5 extra.

I am willing to bet that Deb will tell us she does not need or expect this, but I think it would help her out. She does not need to go broke on this party.

It could be totally anonymous--each of us does what she feels led to do. How about that?

Jan

Fantastic idea, Jan, and points well made. :thumbsup2

I just don't see DrHug wearing the pink wig! :rotfl::lmao:

I don't know, Angie. We've got some pretty funny pictures of Den w/a napkin on his head :rotfl:.

I am also figuring that if I do any tastings through DCL, this will cost me $15 so this is how much I have budgeted for Chamapagne Girls as well.

Corinna

If, Corinna?? :rotfl: ("If is good.")

Just as an FYI for people who don't like to eat fancy food every night.....I always ask for the children's menu. I can pick what I want from the children's and the adult's menus. You can mix them and order from both if you'd like or just from the children's. I find that it's a nice contrast to eating gourmet every night. Sometimes I just want a hamburger. The Mickey pasta is good too.

Great idea; we'll have to look at that.

Tina, you'll be there for the mingling and the tasting. I have a few men that have volunteered to join my DH in the pouring. We'll be fine. Thank you anyway.

If DrHug is there in pink, I have a feeling my DH will want to be there, too.

Thanks everyone for the BB description now. This really helps! Primarily we'll probably be dining room, but it is nice to know that if for some reason we aren't going to make the dining room that the BB is available - at least early. What are the evening options > 8:30? Room service I know, but what else?

Of cousre groupon has a deal today, i ordered yesterday magnets and t-shirts

of well!! Now I need a zazzle coupon or custom ink, then I can get my DS his shirts ordered. Making progress

I have the surfboard earrings too, but mine are red beads instead of lavendr, the store is very creative!! Love etsy!

Loving the pixie dust that everyone is willing to share on this cruise. I am sending hugs to everyone until Hawaii, under 70 days until sailing

:lovestruc

Paula, sending you and your family :hug: and best wishes!

Instead of creating a group of 8 people, can you make it 5 groups of 20 - 21?

I was thinking about that today and liked it so back to the drawing board LOL I think it will be 5 groups of around 22-23 that everyone is under that wanted 25 and everyone can do all groups and its essentially the same amount.

On another note, Im very excited that we will be in Ventura,Ca in April as im going to do the Cystic Fibrosis walk the day before the cruise with cousins in memory of Tyler who died of it in Oct. Now im working on fundraisers for that, somehow I need a few more hours in my days!

For those who have not participated before, the money we chip in for Champagne Girls barely covers half the cost of the beverges. Previously Deb has paid for all the favors (in our case the leis and hair flowers) and half the bubblies. For 100 of us, that is going to be a larger chunk than in past cruises when the group was 30 plus or minus.

Jan

Great idea :lovestruc

There is always a mixture of dress styles on formal nights. We have always had a percentage of the dining room in "normal" dinner clothing, casual cruise clothing and formal clothing on semi formal and formal nights. I don't think it is a big deal.
Plus most of us will be sitting together so all that means with the slightly longer dinners those nights we just have a lot longer to visit and share the fun. I seriously doubt if anyone here would be upset if the person sitting next to them has casual on next to their sequins :) I prefer to think of our dining as a great group time to meet and exchange our news of the day, share needed advice for things and plain have fun! :banana::banana::banana:

How is your house these days? Do you have water ?

We are lucky, we have water, sewage services, power and no structural damage - same can't be said for many living on the other side of the city. We did go without hot water for 13 weeks over the winter as we lost our hot water cylinder in a big aftershock (it started leaking) but we are all fine here at our house. Work is also fine so we are very fortunate my partner and I both work for the same company.

I am firmly in the Kindle/ iPad camp, but I am sure there are a lot of people who still prefer traditional books. I will have one traditional book with me this time. The 5th installment of Kingdom Keepers will be out in early April and I am intending to save this for the flight and start it then.

I love the KK series - what a wonderful set of books!

Paula sent you A PM

YAY - thank you! :)

We dined at Topsiders on formal night on the WBTA - it was sit down dining and was the best meal we had all cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter