Are Backpacks Safe for Travel

redzinner

Me Wants the Medianoche!
In so many travel books you read about the threat of 'pickpockets' in most major cities. :eek:
Does anyone recommend a specific type of purse, moneybelt, backpack to carry around that contains all your 'stuff' for day long sightseeing?

The travel expert, Rick Steves, recommends a money belt (or neck wallet) in which to carry money, credit cards, passport, etc. You can find his very nice brand at his web site or at Amazon for about $13. We bought ours there.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with PacSafe products. They are well worth their price. If you use a backpack, remember a samll luggage type lock.

I would not recommend using a backpack while touring the city. Years ago in Paris friends of ours had pretty much everything stolen right out of their backpack and never felt a thing. We were walking through a market and all of a sudden he noticed that it was lighter. When he took it off there was nothing left but a sweater and some tissues.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with PacSafe products. They are well worth their price. If you use a backpack, remember a samll luggage type lock.

I totally agree. We have PacSafe waist packs and a backpack and would not use anything else. They come with a key lock, but we use a combination lock so we don't have to worry about the key. The backpack was a lifesaver this summer on our Disney Med cruise. My 23 year old daughter was surrounded by a band of pickpockets in a very busy Pisa market. One of them attempted to cut the strap and was very frustrated and ran when he realized there was a cable through the strap that he could not cut. This particlar backpack also has a laptop sleeve that can also be locked. This one incident made believers out of us. It is expensive, but I got one discounted from REI.

1725_67_daysafe_B_.jpg
100 200
with_exomesh.jpg
anti-theft computer backpack

MSRP US$189.95

The DaySafe 200 is the ultimate anti-theft computer backpack. Within is a fully padded, removable laptop sleeve inside a 19L laminated eXomesh® Ultimate compartment that can be locked closed and locked to a secure fixture. For convenience, this security compartment can be removed and left locked to a secure fixture allowing you to use the backpack separately if required.

anti-theft features specifications
  • eXomesh® Ultimate complete lock & leave system - slashproof, snatchproof, tamperproof
  • Slashproof adjustable shoulder straps
  • Snatchproof shoulder strap allows the bag to anchor to a secure fixture
  • Tamperproof zippers
[SIZE=-2]Click the icons below to learn more about this product's anti-theft features[/SIZE]
additional features
  • Fully padded removable laptop sleeve – fits most 15” laptops
  • Front zippered pocket with removable organiser panel
  • Top zippered pocket with headphone port
  • Dual mesh side pockets and front clip-fastened slip pocket
  • Padded shoulder straps and air mesh back support

Ebags and some of the other reputable online sellers carry some of their items as well. Sometimes you find a used one on Ebay. There is aslo just the cable made into a cover to put over any backpack you have.

OK, maybe this is a silly question, but how easy is it to get things in and out? Are you forever doing the lock on it to get out a pair of sunglasses or a lip balm? Or are some pockets more lockable than others?

OK, maybe this is a silly question, but how easy is it to get things in and out? Are you forever doing the lock on it to get out a pair of sunglasses or a lip balm? Or are some pockets more lockable than others?

It is fairly easy. We keep sunglasses and essentials in the front pocket and just lock the zippers together. With the combo lock it is very easy to get things out. There is also a clip on the bag to clip the zipper pulls to if you do not want to lock it. This just makes it more difficult for a pickpocket to get the backpack open as the clip is pretty well hidden.

I have not regretted buying the PacSafe products for one minute and recommend them to everyone I know who does a lot of traveling.

Nordkin,

Do you use both the backpack and the waistpack? I was looking at the Pacsafe products. They look great, but I can't decide on the backpack, purse or waistpack, or a combination of those.

Thanks

Did you look online or in a store? If online, I personally would suggest to go to a store and see which one you physically like better. The different sizes and styles would have different features and some hold more then others. IF you travel with a SLR or dSLR camera their camera straps are pretty comfy as well as functional.

I'm looking online. I can see closeups of the features as well as details of the volume of each pack. Just having a hard time choosing which type of pack to purchase.

Not to discount online shopping, but you cant touch it, feel it, wear it, or try it online. This is the type of item, that is not a one size fits all type of item. In person, you can bring all the items you would be carrying and see how everything fits in.

As to which one to get, which do you like the best, which one would you use most, where are you going, what time of year, what you plan to carry, and whether or not you have any shoulder/back problems. The time of year, you might be asking why that matters, with any backpack or waistpack, you have a heat issue in the hotter months. Will it be comfortable for you?

I am lucky that I live within driving distance of Campmor, and they carry a pretty extensive selection of Pacsafe. Items I have liked online, I disliked in person, and vice versa.

Not to discount online shopping, but you cant touch it, feel it, wear it, or try it online. This is the type of item, that is not a one size fits all type of item. In person, you can bring all the items you would be carrying and see how everything fits in.

As to which one to get, which do you like the best, which one would you use most, where are you going, what time of year, what you plan to carry, and whether or not you have any shoulder/back problems. The time of year, you might be asking why that matters, with any backpack or waistpack, you have a heat issue in the hotter months. Will it be comfortable for you?

I am lucky that I live within driving distance of Campmor, and they carry a pretty extensive selection of Pacsafe. Items I have liked online, I disliked in person, and vice versa.

I have to agree with you. We are also fortunate to have a coupel of stores in our area that carry a lot of the Pac Safe products.

To answer the question of do we use the backpack and the waist pack the answer is yes most of the time. I keep my wallet, money, sunglasses, and passports in the waist pack and everything else goes in the backpack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter