Are people at DLR really that rude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not touching the pot subject (what a tangent!), but honestly I think two things factor into general rudeness at theme parks: price and demographics. Can't say how Disneyland compares to WDW but as it's fairly expensive and attracts a mostly family crowd, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem (I also seriously doubt WDW is "less rude" but again have no personal basis for comparison).

I've lived in So Cal and Nor Cal for 25 years and have visited all the theme parks countless times, and honestly feel like Great America, Magic Mountain, and Knotts Berry Farm have the most rude crowds in general (I realize this is a totally general statement and has little bearing on any particular visit obviously). The common thread is that all are inexpensive and attract a non-family crowd. And yes, by "non-family," I do mean mostly teenagers ... and also, yes, I was once an invincible teenager who ruled the world and probably made a you-know-what out of myself at a theme park once or twice or thrice and understand both sides of the coin.

All in all, if Disneyland is considered to be a rude theme park, then I frankly don't see how 90% of the others can be considered even viable :) (Ok and I said I wouldn't touch it, but just can't resist one playful jab ... ddduuuuuuude it's California, you're going to smell pot everywhere :rotfl: ... alright that was the only one, I promise!)

Ok and to be perfectly frank, for full disclosure I have indeed had a few rude experiences at Disneyland. But most are because I have a disabled son (cerebral palsy) who only recently got a wheelchair. We used to roll him around in his stroller which serves as his wheelchair, and since he looks mostly "normal," some folks felt it necessary to go out of their way to inform us that we're in a "no strollers allowed" area. The only time I got real out of sorts was when I informed the other party that my son was disabled and got a response of "yeah right he looks perfectly normal, you're just using him as an excuse to cut in line." Given that he's fed through a tube inserted into his stomach, has zero muscle tone control, and has seizures multiple times daily, that was about as close as I've gotten to outright violence in public. And yes, this was at Disneyland. But it could've happened just about anywhere, and honestly I've gotten just as much idiocy at other theme parks well before I ever had kids. Still a little annoyed about the incident, but certainly can't chalk it up as something Disneyland-specific.

ok didn't mean to be so harsh or hijack the thread.
The CM's at DLR are fantastic, we have never had a bad incident. I have only been to MK 1 time in the "70's but maybe it's the different culture in the OC. It is way more laid back and that sometimes might seem like apathy by some ...SOME...east coasters.
If you want to really see rude take a day and got to another l.a.tourist attraction.:scared1:
As in any large group of people %$#@ happens. DLR requires a pretty thick skin these days almost all year long but... the Joy, The magic,... the WALT of it, conquers all.
but seriously QUIT SMOKING POT IN DISNEYLAND:eek::crazy2:
sorry last time i swear

Ok and to be perfectly frank, for full disclosure I have indeed had a few rude experiences at Disneyland. But most are because I have a disabled son (cerebral palsy) who only recently got a wheelchair. We used to roll him around in his stroller which serves as his wheelchair, and since he looks mostly "normal," some folks felt it necessary to go out of their way to inform us that we're in a "no strollers allowed" area. The only time I got real out of sorts was when I informed the other party that my son was disabled and got a response of "yeah right he looks perfectly normal, you're just using him as an excuse to cut in line." Given that he's fed through a tube inserted into his stomach, has zero muscle tone control, and has seizures multiple times daily, that was about as close as I've gotten to outright violence in public. And yes, this was at Disneyland. But it could've happened just about anywhere, and honestly I've gotten just as much idiocy at other theme parks well before I ever had kids. Still a little annoyed about the incident, but certainly can't chalk it up as something Disneyland-specific.

This happened to us 5 yrs ago. I was told to move my stroller out of the handicap line. Now my stroller did not look like a typical stroller. People just need to be more understanding.

wow! now that is sad... people are so mean... karma will come back on them... and Bless all of you who bear with the rudeness of others. *hugs*

first I should say that I have not read through this complete thread, only scanned it. However, I would like to share an observation that might help visitors.
We have lived all over the world prior to landing in Southern California. In many places the resident attitude is that people believe they are the center of the universe, and they expect all the privlages that go along with it. We have found that the people in Southern California also believe that they are the center of the universe, the difference though is that they are perfectly "fine" with you believing you are the center as well! Once we got used to the "different" attitude we found that this is truly a very friendly place.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter