Are you bothered by outside noise?

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
I've seen a lot of people complain about noise outside of their rig be it from the highway, trains going by, aircraft, animals, kids, music, etc.
Looking for opinions and/or stories.
I'm one of those people who isn't bothered by what's going on outside with the exception of maybe gunshots and we really do try and avoid locations where that might be an issue. We've been at places where we're right near the highway and I don't hear a thing.

If I'm trying to sleep, absolutely. If it's midnight and someone next to me has music blaring or a bunch of people talking loud and such, I'm that guy that calls security. Camper walls are thin so it only makes it worse.

Road noise or things that are semi-white noise, I can handle and actually usually helps me sleep. I have tinnitus so some constant noise like a fan or something is necessary for me to sleep. Total silence is defining to me.

I have a hybrid, so my sleeping area has fabric walls. I hear everything that goes on outside.

That being said, the noise only bothers me if it is either very loud or kinda loud periodically. Normal conversation, TVs, radio, highways, people coming in and setting up late, etc. doesn't bother me. Now it will keep my DW from getting to sleep, but not me.

Rain will keep me up. I am constantly listening for water dripping somewhere inside, or limbs falling on the camper, or waiting for the wind to blow me over (knew someone who had a pop-up blow over with them inside).

Once I am asleep, I don't care. You ain't gonna wake me up, unless you tip the camper on its side. even then i give it 50/50.

One of the joys of congenital hearing loss. I take out my hearing aids and there is nothing going on outside... or inside, for that matter. :)

But before I got to the point where I started conversations with.. WHAT!, outside noise never bothered me unless it was loud music or people hollering or over the top laughing and shouting. Occasionally dogs barking would be annoying, but that didn't happen often. Road noise or rain, even trains never were a bother.

j

Disney's fireworks can be loud (when they start again) and the Electric Water Pageant can be too! It all depends on the wind. Other then that it is just people having fun. That's no big deal unless they are rude and go long into the night and they are close to you.

That is why we like our Rear bedroom, you are away from the road, usually. We try to book back in sites toward the woods if possible.

Our rig does pretty well with sound - double-pane windows help with that! That said, I'm one who has to have white noise to sleep, so my simulated fan noise coming out of a remote speaker pretty much drowns out everything but the most egregious noisemakers!

Natural sounds and highway noise don't bother me, but people that blare music during quite times bother me. I cant sleep with loud music or people talking loudly around my campsite.

Our TT is pretty well insulated. That being said 'road noises' don't bother me, not even passing semis or sirens. The only weather sound that bothers me is when that annoying drip, drip, drip of rain from the roof starts hitting the side light cover, but at least that can be dealt with by adjusting the rain clips.

PEOPLE noise drives me crazy; loud music, talking/laughing at full volume, kids screaming (not yelling/playing, actual screaming 'contests'). I think it bothers me because it's basically 'on purpose'. They are choosing to be loud.

We don't hear anything in our rig either. We sleep with a fan running and I use a sleep app on my phone that I use to play rain sounds.

Yep. We usually let one of the two AC units run the fan all night to generate some background noise to cover it up. I've seen others utilize things like small desk fans. A gentle rain outside however makes for some of the best sleeping ever.

At Hersheypark's campground there are train tracks that run right by the campground. Some sites are very close to the tracks but you can hear the trains no matter where you are. I read some reviews before we went the first time and made sure to book a site as far away from the train tracks as possible.

It has to be pretty loud for me to notice. Hersheypark Campground is a great example, the train rolling by I would have slept through. The blasted horn, that woke me. I read a lot of comments about loops too close to the road and Disney Buss noises at FW. I have stayed in the 400 loop right next to the bathhouse and never noticed the noise.

I guess I am less sensitive to the noises outside then others.

When we moved from a tent to an TT thats one thing we noticed, you can't here anything outside and we have a pretty basic TT. Turn on the AC and you really don't here anything at all.

In a tent in a PA state park that has 30 feet between sites we could hear even the lowest conversation.

I've seen a lot of people complain about noise outside of their rig be it from the highway, trains going by, aircraft, animals, kids, music, etc.
Looking for opinions and/or stories....
What's missing from the discussions above is the one thing that really wakes us up...our watch dog reacting to the noise y'all described above. Her barking gets us awake in less than a heartbeat. If you don't want Miss Rosey barking, don't make noise during quiet hours, please.

Agreed run the fan. And it is so much better in the TT then the pup. For me lights were the problem when we had the pop up. Now in the TT its like heven. No worries.

"I'm one of those people who isn't bothered by what's going on outside with the exception of maybe gunshots and we really do try and avoid locations where that might be an issue"
Lmao.
I hate to see the places that you couldn't avoid the gunshots. Lol.

I am pretty easy going on noise. We've ATV'd and boated a lot with our RV so I'm used to kids, dogs, motors, etc. The three things that will drive me to drink are uncontrolled dogs that bark at a dandelion bloom floating by, kids that scream - laughing and playing is all good but screaming is a no-go for me and the big one is a mid-90s Dodge pickup that announces to the world that it's driving by 3 blocks before you can see it, for the love of all that is holy those should have been banned from every RV park on the planet. That's my list and I'm sticking to it. 🤪

It depends on what the outside noise is. Highway noises don't bother me too much but train whistles do. We stayed in a park in Birmingham that the tracks were actually further away than they are here at our house but that train kept both of us up all night. There is a park we stay in for overnight stops on the way to Florida (Eagles Roost in south Ga) that is right next to I75. It depends on the site they put us in as to whether it bothers me. If the site is sort of behind the reception building I don't even hear the road noise, if it's a little to the side of the reception building, I do hear it sometimes. We have a fifth wheel by the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter