Are you really suppose to tip mousekeeping staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is an issue of who is tipping or who is not tipping. That is not the intention of the boards.OPINIONS are just that. It is no different than saying nurses make $50,000.00 ayear. That might be in one area of the country or even state or county and not in another. Just like any other job. Sorry, to see that you feel you are so factual.

Originally posted by DeeP
Wdw2002,
I just re read you post and I am surprised to see you say that most jobs you hear of "do not" offer these benefits!
I said do not offer ALL of those, and yes, I haven't seen many jobs that have such an extensive benefits package. Most I have seen offer vacation and sick or personal time and health benefits but very few offer life insurance and pension plans, some may offer a 401 K but that is usually only if the employee also put money in.

It is not an uncommon practice to tip housekeeping -- hence the travel article that suggests the amount to tip. As you can see on these boards, many people always tip housekeeping when they travel.

If for whatever reason you choose not to tip that's fine. You need not offer a justification. In an expensive restaurant, waitstaff is tipped much more for similar work (sometimes easier than what waitstaff in a diner encounter). In an expensive hotel, many more people are on the tipping list than at Motel 6 and are much more highly compensated than the staff at Motel 6. You can rest assured that Disney housekeeping staff is not living in luxury. Their wages may have increased slightly over the past few years because it was just about impossible for Disney to fill the jobs.

Just a thought- @ $4 per room a day for cleaning 20 rooms=$80 divide by 8 hours=$10 an hour, add a minimum of $5.00 an hour salary to that and you have $15 an hour. And to think in a years time we have housekeepers making more than policemen and firefighters. Now that's a shame.

For those that *do* tip:

Many people say they tip every day for the day's cleaning.
Someone posted that the housekeeper changes each day. It seems that you may be tipping that day's housekeeper for the previous day's housekeeping. Does that bother you that one day may have deemed a bigger tip, but may have been picked up not by the person who actually did the work at all, but someone new? What do you do in this instance?

I like the tipping at the end, like we do on cruises. In actuality the person doing the room the day you check out is doing the most work. That's the day when the room is more thoroughly cleaned and bedding is changed. I have noticed in recent years that bedding is changed less and less. Most recent not at all during our stay. I am sure it was done when we left.

I am laughing thinking of a post I read on the DVC board about a guest who always leaves all their extra food for the housekeeper, kind of, it seemed to me, as a "gift" of sorts or a tip. I laughed my head off thinking of the housekeeper bringing home someone's half-eaten loaf of bread or whatever. That's just disgusting. Not in a million years would I ever take left-over food from a hotel room of a stranger. The poster was very proud to have given all their old food to the housekeeper because he or she hated to throw out all the extra food. Do you think that is a great tip or gift? The housekeeper is probably cursing up one end of the hall and down the other about having to cart all that old food to the dumpster.

Wow! What a tip that is.

It seems it would be better for the housekeepers if guests would make every effort to keep the rooms neat and tidy, and basically clean. Many people leave the rooms like a tornado went through. Those are the people that need to pay extra for the service. Like I said before, I clean the room before we leave, making sure there is nothing on the tables, no trash of any kind, dirty towels in the tub, sink rinsed out, and all sink areas tidy. Besides the bed being in need of a sheet change, it pretty much looks like nobody was there. I bet the housekeepers would appreciate a little consideration rather than a couple of dollars for their "thankless" job, as many people have called it.

Great advice. We also do not require much more than replacing towels, emptying trash can and ensuring that necessary toiletries are stocked. I, myself, would rather not have anyone moving my stuff around and sorting thorugh things we have left around. We put the towels in the bathtub, put trash in the trash can, and pull up the bedspread. Like I said before, we have noticed that sheets don't get changed until the entire visit is over, and some days vacuuming is not done. That really does not leave much work.

a guest who always leaves all their extra food for the housekeeper

The housekeepers toss anything that's left. Would you eat any food from a stranger in this day and age? They wouldn't and I was told by a maid quite awhile back that they are instructed to toss everything. (She couldn't even take the unopened food we were sorry to have to throw out.) They may not argue with the guest about it but it certainly isn't a "tip".

The maids know that sometimes they get the tip in the room they cleaned, sometimes it goes to someone else. In the end, it all evens out for them.

@ $4 per room a day for cleaning 20 rooms=$80 divide by 8 hours=$10 an hour

Judging by the answers people give on these boards every time the subject comes up, it's more likely they are getting $1 per room on about half the rooms they clean. I have no idea if 20 rooms would be an accurate number. At that rate, they would be getting $10 per day. Not $80. That's $1.25 and hour.

Why is it a shame that a maid is paid a living wage? Comparing different professions always gets sticky. Everyone deserves a fair wage. Police and firefighters in my area may be making $40,000 base but if they do overtime and side jobs they consistently come up as the highest paid employees -- some making as much $150,000-$200,00. I don't think many maids are achieving that on tips.

Why do so many people "care" what the maids are making or not. I know I haven't once thought about the maids wages were.

I doubt any policeman or firefighter is making that much money. The base here is $25,000. My brother is a detective in a state tht does pay well, I assure you he is not making $100,000. This is the real world.

As for a $1 a day, you have not been reading clearly. It is a $1 per person per day that everyone has been stating.

As for caring about what a maid makes, I certainly don't. They chose the job. That's their life. Not mine. Although, I would have to say I would hope nonone would think a maid can be compared to someone who fights for lives. That would be weird logic.

You are the one who brought up Firefighters and Policemen as a comparision not anyone else...

Someone will have to get friendly with a mousekeeper on their next vacation and get the real scoop and put this issue to rest! Find out from the horses mouth what they make base and then in tips. I'll bet the base isn't much at all.

It's highly unlikely that they are making "$4 per room a day for cleaning 20 rooms=$80 divide by 8 hours=$10 an hour, add a minimum of $5.00 an hour salary to that and you have $15 an hour" because $4 a room a day is NOT the average as you can easily tell from this thread. A few said $1. a person a day; others said a $1. a day or $2. a day total and also MANY said they don't tip at all!

I remember a thread long ago about Mousekeeping that the WDW housekeeping staff are not supposed to accept tips. Only after 3 times if the tip has been offered would they accept it and then all of the WDW housekeeping tips are pooled and sent to a charitable foundation of their choice.

I think that is the appropriate response. I bet not too many of them say no to the tip. If it was meant to be a tippped position then it would be.

I think some should do some thinking and research into what goes on in the real world. Sorry to see so many are clueless.

The comparison was in the salary . Hopefuly you would like someone to save your life more than clean up after you.???

I think this issue will never be resolved, it is based on opinions.

Maybe every occupation should have a tip bowl/envelope. I know several that would probably deserve it.

loriencke,

There you go again being a bit insulting to those that DO tip calling some of us "clueless".

I haven't been insulting to those that decide not to tip. I haven't said your clueless because at most hotel chains, they expect a tip and it IS customary to tip housekeeping. I haven't said that those who don't tip are cheap etc...for not tipping and I NEVER would. We're having a debate; a difference of opinion, that's all. No need to attack or insult.

Why can't it just be a matter of opinion, as you said, and leave the insults out?? I'd like to know.

Hopefuly you would like someone to save your life more than clean up after you.???

Of course the answer is yes! I don't get your question.

This thread has long ago left the original topic and has turned into a debate - it is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter