Are you really suppose to tip mousekeeping staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, $15 per hour, huh... that is as much as some RN's make. I don't think that is an accurate figure... perhaps $15 per day?

At any rate, we do tip our Mousekeepers every day, because they have different days off, and we don't want the mousekeeper who only serviced our room once, on that last day to get the entire tip.

Tipping is always an individual decision. Based on service, if I'm not pleased, the tip will reflect that. I've always tipped housekeeping. And I generally tip in advance - this may get generate a little heat. I feel that if I leave a tip in advance, my housekeeper will not bother with any of my stuff (I'm in the family that my dh locks our toothbrushes in the safe). I don't leave out any valuables, but I don't want any of our belongings disturbed. This might sound horrible, but we've seen investigative type TV shows where the maid washes the toilet with the people's toothbrush. Now, 99.9% of housekeeping would never dream of doing this - we just don't take the chance on that .1%. We've never had a problem with housekeeping. Generally I leave between $3 and $5 a day and expect nothing more than a generally clean room.

If the $15 per hour remark was for me- I worked for a realty company that rents CONDOS not hotel rooms. We had contract housekeepers that used our laundry facilities, bedding and towels, our vans, and cleaning supplies. In the early 90's we paid 1/1 rooms $35, 2/2 $50 and 3/2 $75. These workers were required to pay their own taxes- we sent them tax forms- maybe 1099s. But these are for CONDOS- apts.

Anyway- I am sure the housekeepers make basically the same same the reservations staff, the staff that takes the $$ in the food courts, etc.

As for the $7 hour jobs- many make this and less bu working at McDonalds, Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc. I have never tipped these people either. Tipping can get out of hand.

Florida residents pay no state income tax, tax on food, etc. I know that in my resort town- when tourist season arrives I shop for groceries and gas in town- not on the beach. The prices are there for the tourists. Tourists also pay a pretty hefty bed tax to stay at our hotels.

When I worked at a resort in Va Beach as a housekeeper when I was in college, we made a flat minimum wage, and we worked for a reputable hotel chain. The work was hard, sometimes disgusting, and believe me... the folks who stayed there were NOT generous, either. Needless to say, that job didn't last long! I admire and respect anyone who can do that job, and do it well, and I will tip accordingly!

As for where to leave the tip... make Mousekeeping envelopes and leave them on the dresser, bedside table or vanity in the bathroom. That way there is no question that the money is meant for them. When we just left the bills by themselves, they weren't taken.

We tip after service, but everyday, instead of at the end. We do it just as we would in a restaurant. Of course, that is just our way, there are many ways of doing it!

whew! I don't tip housekeeping, because I feel that their service is included in the price of the room. For the price that I am paying for the room, I shouldn't have to leave extra.

We've always tipped housekeeping no matter where we stay. I always thought it was a given, even though, of course, it's a personal choice based on how well they took care of you. Most hotels I've stayed at even have special tip envelopes to leave the tip in.

We tip at WDW but used to leave it at the end of our trip till we read posts here about tipping daily in case your mousekeeper changes. We also printed out the special mousekeeping envelopes that a nice poster here provided with Mickey or Minnie or Goofy etc... on them.

I feel that it doesn't really matter what they make and, IMHO, it's always been a tipped position just as a waitress is tipped. If I go to a fancy, expensive restaurant, I don't think that I don't have to tip because it was SO expensive to eat there! I still tip accordingly based on service and the total of the bill.

I used to tip $1. a day till I read some posts here. Now we tip $1 per person per day.

Disney Cruise Line gives guidelines for tipping the mousekeeper in your cabin. For the cruises, you tip at the end, though. If I'm going to tip a mousekeeper on a cruise, then I'm definitely going to tip a mousekeeper at my resort as well.

To each his own though. I am surprised though that so many people NEVER have tipped housekeeping at ANY hotel ever. It's quite interesting to see the differences!

PS....I DO NOT TIP TO MAKE A "I have money statement"!!! I tip because I appreciate the service and IMHO it's a thankless, sometimes gross job just like waitressing. I find that comment insulting.

Unfortunately, some are unclear that waitresses do not make mimimum wage and therefore tipping is a good portion of their pay, however housekeeping is a paid position of at least minimum wage if not more. Once again, they have chosen this occupation. Is anyone tipping the custodians at schools or places of business? No, I don't think so because it is their job. If one wants to tip unnecessarily then go ahead, but at the same time realize that there is no actual justification for it, unless they have gone above their describe and expected job duties. Be certain though that just because one is tipping a housekeeper doesn't not mean that they are going to get anything more than anyone else. It will be the same service.

IMHO,

I don't expect anything from housekeeping other than what's in their job description.

Maybe you are not replying to my post, but it just seemed that may to me.

I also realize that 'some' waitresses make minimum wage but so do many housekeepers. I actually don't believe that WDW housekeepers make $15 hour. I'd need someone to varify that before I'd believe it.

Just because they chose their job doesn't mean they don't deserve a tip. Waitresses chose their job as well.

I am using the waitress job as another example of a tipped position only to drive home a point.

I tip because I've always thought you should and like I said before, other hotels even leave a special envelope for you to tip at the end of your stay. "custodians at schools or places of business" don't have special tip envelopes that I know of and neither does the trash man so no, I don't tip them.

For me, it's always been a given that waitresses, housekeepers, bellhops, valets, etc.. ARE tipped position regardless of what they make unless I get a bulletin telling me "please don't tip because our employees make a lot of money!" I guess I'm learning something new today about mousekeepers, but I don't think it's gonna stop me from tipping them anyway.

However, on a similar subject, I don't always tip delivery guys. I don't tip if I get flowers delivered, but I do tip if I get a pizza delivered. It's a matter of preference. I'd rather tip the mousekeeper than the guy to takes my luggage out of my car and puts it on one of those carts to tell you the truth but it's proper etiquette to do so, so I do.

It's a matter of "to each his own" but I just feel that those who do tip mousekeeping are being attacked by those who choose not to with comments like the one that says we tip for the "I have money statement"!!!

I don't even think there's anything to argue about really. If you are used to tipping housekeeping your whole life and feel it's proper than do so. If you think that's crazy and you've never heard of such a thing, then don't. No need to make the opposing person's opinion seem wrong.

Like I said, this thread is kind of interesting because there are such opposing views on the subject.

Anyone know for sure what mousekeeping makes anyway???

I do and have always tipped the housekeepers at any hotel I have ever stayed at including WDW.

Now in regards to the housekeepers wages at WDW. I am a Compensation Analyst, so I do job pricing and market analysis all day long. We get a large majority of our information regarding market wages from surveys that represent the whole US and I can tell you without a doubt housekeepers in hotels in FL DO NOT make $15.00 an hour--cut it in half and then you will have an accurate figure. As for the poster that said a condo rental co pays the housekeepers $35.00 for a 2 br that takes 2 hours to clean, if the housekeeper cleans 3 condos a day, allowing time for lunch and breaks that would only come out to $13.00 a hour and does this condo rental co give their housekeepers health ins, life insurance, vacation time, sick days, personal days, 401 K, pension plan etc? These are all things that need to be calculated in the true compensation for a job. If they do supply all the bennies and pay their housekeepers $15.00 an hour they are way, way out of line with the market average for this position, especially for FL which pays substantially less for all jobs not just housekeepers.

As far as saying this is the job the housekeeper chose, we have over 500 housekeepers at my place of employment which happens to be a major hospital in the Northeast and very few of our housekeepers chose this job, this was the only job they are qualified for. This is hard, dirty work, it is not easy and it is not a very profitable job. Get real folks, would you like to have to clean other people's toilets???? I don't even like to clean my own toilet let alone stranger's toilets or their bathroom sinks with their spittle in it. Yuck!

Tip housekeeping or not it is your choice but do not try to fool yourself into thinking housekeepers are making big bucks, because they don't. Housekeeping might not be considered a tip position in WDW but everywhere else in the US it is. I see market wages paid everyday including those paid in FL and housekeepers are not a high paid position by any means.

Wow...I'm the one who said mousekeeping makes $15 an hr. I was only repeating what I was told by a bartender at CBR. We were discussing the tip positions and I mentioned the statement in the brochure I received at check-in. Thanks to callahan julie for first posting it...

"Our guests frequently ask us what the custom is for tipping. At WDW resort, it is customary to tip the following positions for EXCEPTIONAL service: bartender, bell services, cocktail server, food and beverage server, and valet parker."

Housekeeping was not there and I asked him (the bartender) about it. I left a tip for three days running and it was never picked up. That's when he said how much an hour they make. Maybe he was a little :rolleyes: off. I don't know. But apparently it is an over the minium wage and therefore not considered tippable. I agree staying at WDW we are paying a great amount for our rooms, and I always tipped before, but now I will think twice about it.

Originally posted by DeeP
does this condo rental co give their housekeepers health ins, life insurance, vacation time, sick days, personal days, 401 K, pension plan etc?
I am not sure but most jobs I know do not give people all things things.

Maybe the CBR bartender meant they make $15.00 an hour after their tips are figured in, because there is no way they make $15.00 an hour as a flat rate. I would say this bartender is not a little off he was way off if he was saying the housekeepers make $15.00 an hour as a flat rate.

I think the ONLY one that really knows how much they make an hour is the person themself. I think everyone is giving their own opinion. I do think we all agree that it is at least minimum wage, and they are not dependent on tips as other occupations.

WDW2002,
There are many, many jobs in the job market, especially for jobs that pay a higher rate, that do not offer any type of benefits at all. This is why the employees get paid the higher rate. At my place of employment we have RNs that are not offered any type of bennies at all and they make almost $15.00 more per hour than a RN that has health benefits, vacation days, etc. but they must work weekends and holidays. This is a huge cost saver to companies who do not have to pay shift differential to employees to work weekends and holidays and they also do not have to cover families for costly health insurance, the employee for vacation days, sick days,etc., nor does the company have to pay into a pension plan, match a 401 K. The savings are very great and many companies are offering these jobs at a higher rate of pay but without any benefits at all. People that are covered under their spouse for health benefits and those that are working a second job and do not need the vacation, sick time etc but want the higher per hour rate of pay arre typically the ones we see that want these jobs. Bottom line........there are many jobs that offer no benefits at all but do pay a higher rate.

Wdw2002,
I just re read you post and I am surprised to see you say that most jobs you hear of "do not" offer these benefits! I am very surprised because that is the most common benefit package for full time jobs with most most major employers in the US.

loriencke.
Believe me, I am not giving my opinion, these are the facts. I also do compensation consulting work for a Health Care facility my employer manages in FL and these are true figures for a housekeepers market wages. I was just in FL in May for business relating to market wages and the figures I said were actually a little high for FL. :rolleyes:

L:ike I said, I would not taken anyone's OPINION or what they think they know as fact, except for a worker themself.

It is not my opinion, as I said before it is the truth..................... but..............whatever. If you don't want to tip the housekeepers or any other service person at WDW or any other hotel that is your option.

I don't think it is an issue of who is tipping or who is not tipping. OPINIONS are just that. It is no different than saying nurses make $50,000.00 ayear. That might be in one area of the country or even state or county and not in another. Sorry, to see that you feel you are so factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter