ASD Evaluation - What to Expect?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
My little guy is exhibiting some behaviors that indicate he may be slightly on the spectrum. My mom instinct told me to tell his therapist to watch for signs and she agrees he should get a full evaluation. We have our intake meeting in a couple weeks with the place that will do the neuropsych evaluation. I’m just looking for ideas on what the evaluation will be like for him? Are the activities difficult and frustrating? He’s in first grade, so not a toddler, but he has ADHD and long stretches of tedious activities drive him nuts. Will he have any “fun” things to do like assessments masked as games? Do they tell you right away what their impression is? (I know it takes a few weeks for the full diagnosis.)

Thanks for any info. I know every experience is different based on the patient and the facility, but just looking for personal experiences. I’m scared of what this means for my guy’s future, even though his therapist says it would be very mild and you don’t notice unless you are looking for it.

My daughter had a brief initial evaluation; we weren’t seeking an ASD diagnosis so I don’t know what the full process would have been if that was our goal. It was maybe an hour; she spent time playing with a child psychologist while we (parents) met with a development pediatrician to discuss some concerns the school had raised. The DEV PED may have spent a short time observing her as well, I don’t recall. It was about 13 years ago (she was in K). Not the best experience in my opinion - but that was more the pompous attitude of the doctor than anything else.

If your concern is their interaction with the child — I’d say it’s age-appropriate, play-based. In fact, DD still has a drawing of Elmo on her wall that she and the Child Psych did together though I’m sure she doesn’t actually recall the circumstances of it’s origin. I wouldn’t worry about testing being too hard for him, though depending on his comfort level with people he doesn’t know that could be stressful to him.

Good luck!

I am getting an ASD ADHD testing done in a little over a week I can let you know more then but they said it would be a 3 hour in person evaluation with some sent home questions that I will do. I was told results will take a few week

OP, my dc was younger than yours when she had her neuropysch (4.5 years old). It was two half-days. She seemed to enjoy it-she got to color and play with items. It was defenitely not a 'have to complete task' situation.

Our Dr did not tell us anything until the followup a few weeks later.

Had my evaluation for both ADHD and ASD the ADHD was a 3D screen I looked at and clicked a rotten every time I saw or heard a certen word ( pretty sure I did not do well on it)the ASD was just me talking to the dr about what I was like as a child sensory issue I have had and my friends I have had she know things about me with out me telling her it took all of 30 ish minutes and she gave me 4 different test to take at home some were for ASD and other things. I know your will be different just wanted to let you know how mine was she dais it would be about 1 month before she got to my evelusation and every things typed up.

I think this can vary widely, so I recommend you get in touch with the practitioner and ask them more about what to expect.

My child has had neuro psych evaluations both through the school district and privately, with the first one being in first grade. The practitioners usually alternate testing with lots of breaks, small games, blowing bubbles etc. to keep the kiddos happy and not over-taxed. His first round of evaluations were 6 hours spread over 2 days including cognitive (IQ), academic tests, and, in his case, speech and motor skills. His most recent private testing covered the cognitive/academic but was only 3 hours.

Autism-specific evaluations may rely on other measures outside of a typical neuro psych eval (using tests such as ADOS).

We did get some initial general impressions from our testers at the end of the session (not surprising things like it "was difficult for him to stay on task," "he has a great sense of humor") but no discussion of diagnosis until the final meeting/final report.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter