Asking the experts -- what do you think of OKW?

Tanya

Mouseketeer
Hi -- I have a reservation booked the last week of November at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom. Just wanted to get some info about the place. This is the first time we will be staying there... I tried to get a ressie for Wilderness but it was sold out.... Stupid me - I should have figured on that one... We were there earlier this year and stayed at BWV.... I wanted to try something new.. so -- I opted for OKW.... Right now its just me, hubby and my daughter (17 1/2 months) -- we might have 2 other people come otherwise it's just the three of us running around! What are you thoughts on OKW?...
Thanks...

Tanya :D

OKW is a very laid back and relaxed resort. A 2 bed is going to be massive for just 3 of you as the units are noticably bigger than BW. There have been some moans about the bus service but that hasn't been borne out by my own experience and I've found the bus service more than adiquate. You'll get a better view from a top floor room BUT if you have a lot of equipment for the little one you may prefer a ground floor as there are few blocks with lifts ( I believe these are mostly disabled access rooms) There are some good maps of the resort on the Dreams site so you can chose a building that suits your needs ( quiet pool,bus stops, Hospitality house etc etc)

Have fun

I didn't request a specific building because I don't know the layout of OKW.... but the woman that took my reservation was great.... she said she was going to put the following requests:

Try to get first floor, be near a bus stop and the hospitality house.... We are also renting a car so if I don't feel like taking the bus one day, at least we have the car.... From previous posts I have read, I know most people like OKW and I probably will too but I am just curious.....

Thanks.

Tanya

There's a big play area/sand box by the main pool at the Hospitality House that my daughter loved. Definitely go there and check it out. Also, take the boat from OKW to Downtown Disney. It's fun to do.

Olivia's is the only real restaurant at OKW. We found it to be okay. Not great, but definitely reasonable. Some others have complained about the service, but we found the service to be great.

We had a ground floor unit on one of the fairways - an absolutely beautiful view in my opinion. All of us enjoyed sitting on the porch and enjoying the view and the animals. There were several kinds of birds, including ibis and ducks, that would come very close and even a few rabbits.

It's a very relaxing atmosphere. Enjoy!!

For travelling about I'd suggest Disney bus service for MK, Epcot and MGM. Drive to AK, BB or TL. Going to DTD there is a water taxi service which makes a nice change of pace.

OKW is definitely more laid back than BW, etc. but it is our favorite resort for this reason. You'll really feel like you are on vacation. (not that we don't love BW, because we do for other reasons)

OKW is a very beautiful resort to walk around in....lots of grass, trees, flowers, the waterway running through with boats on it, golf courses, etc. From the moment you check in to the sounds of Calypso music, you will feel all tension melt away!

For your little one, as above poster said, definitely do the sandbox area. Both of my children loved that at this age. Also take her for a boat ride or take the ferry to the Marketplace. And try to book a Pooh breakfast at Olivia's....Pooh is so wonderful with children of that age group.

As also stated above, the rooms are very large and decorated beautifully. You likely will have too much space with just the three of you, but things could be worse than that!

Enjoy yourself, ease into the OKW mood and I'm sure it will become one of your favorite resorts too!

Here is a link to some <a href="http://disneydoc.homestead.com/okw2.html">photos of OKW.</a>

Have a great trip!

First, should it just be you and your DH and DD, try to trade down to a one bedroom. Save some points. 3 people do not need a two bedroom.
Bring a stroller, there are great walkways all over OKW. You can walk to Downtown, then take the boat (or bus) back. There are neighborhood (quiet) pools with small play areas.
A big advantage to OKW is that your car is parked 50 feet from your front door. (IMHO) use your car for any visit to another resort (drive over to the contemporary and watch the fire works from the roof) or to any of the parks (except MK) and take the bus on other occasions. Mix it up and neither will get repetitive. Take the car off site and try some of the area (non WDW) restaurants. Have a wonderful trip.

I'll add my two cents' worth too. I took my first DVC trip in April and we stayed in a 1BR at OKW. We just loved it! As others have said, it is very relaxing there. The 1 BR unit was spacious and beautifully maintained. Even though we were there over Easter week, we had great experiences with the bus service to various parks. We hardly ever had to wait for more than a few minutes. I agree with whoever suggested taking the boat from OKW to DD. It is a really nice ride. But if you go to DD in the evening, be sure to ask what time the last boat leaves to return to OKW. We missed the last boat back, and had to take the bus. That was the one and only time when it took us FOREVER to get a bus, and then FOREVER to get back to OKW.

I think you will love OKW. Have a great time! :D

I know what you mean about downgrading to a one bedroom.... I was first aiming to get Wilderness (what was I thinking) - then I figured OKW because we never stayed there. They were missing I believe one day of my ressie to give me a one bedroom and then my hubby was like - get the 2 bedroom - it would have cost us the same amount of points in a 1 bedroom at Wilderness.... then my sister in-law said she might come so we figured, great - we already have the 2 bedroom... Now she might not come again.... I don't know if I should try and leave it or change it... Oh Well.

But - thanks for the info.

Tanya

I'd try to push your SIL on making a decision. A two bedroom really is too large for the three of you and if your SIL decides not to go, you could possibly go down to a one bedroom. This way you could save points to go longer next time!

Yes the two bedroom with 3 people would be an absolute waste, you probably would never go into the studio part, so unless you will definatley have guests, then you need to work on the one-bedroom.

OKW is the best!!! You will love it and so will your DD. The sand area is great. My 10 yo still loves to play there. Very relaxing. We do not stay anywhere else.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

OKW is a great resort, but if your SIL does not come, a 2BR will be a waste. If your DD were a teenager it would be great. In all my stays there, I have found the bus service good except for comming back from DD. If you will have a car, definitly use it to go from resort to resort, a bus takes forever doing that.

Just had to put my nickels worth in about OKW, the one bedroom is the way to go for the 3 of you. As previously said, You will just be wasting points in the 2 bedroom unit. Try and take the water taxi from the back of Oliva's to DD, it's a neat little ride, specially for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter