Aspergers

tmli

Wants to be known as tmlh....
Sorry this is not dis related but I know many of you have children with Aspergers and may be able to help. My ds (7) has just been diagnosed after years of struggles, he is also adhd. I'm looking for some help as to where I can go to get more info or if there may be a board somewhere discussing Autism. I'm very overwhelmed with all the info out there and was hoping for a couple suggestions to get me started.

Sorry this is not dis related but I know many of you have children with Aspergers and may be able to help.
That's OK. Just wanted to welcome you to disABILITIES and say and questions related to disabilities are OK here. Anything you can find out is related to your eventual ability to make a WDW trip go better :)
I wanted to mention that the November isue of Good Housekeeping has a very good basic article about autism (This is What Autism Looks Like, on page 136). One of the kids profiled has Aspergers.

Hi just wanted to say welcome and this is a great forum to get questions answered. I have found a lot of support here. Take care and good luck with your information searching.

Thanks for the advice, that looks like a wonderful site.

Welcome to the DIS! I've been offline for the past month, but Figment passed on the best site for AS support there is, OASIS. Barb's site has helped me with info on meds, given me the hugs I needed for bad days and given a lot of useful strategies on helping my 7 yo son. It's also good to have others say 'me, too' to some of those things that you scratch your head about!

My son has the alphabet soup, AS, ADHD, OCD, SID (sensory integration disorder) and probably another couple letters we're not aware of yet! Everyone is different, and we've had an interesting road since trying to find out what was going on when he was four, getting a diagnosis at 6 and trying to find the best medications and treatment. We're thanking God profusely right now, because it looks like Luvox and Strattera are really kicking those meltdowns in the butt! My big worry is that my son is doing so well on the meds that they'll mainstream him back out of the program that he's doing so well in!

Suzanne

My ds has more letters associated with him then an episode of sesame street. He's adhd, ocd, as. He also has a fear an anxiety disorder. It sure is nice to start hearing about other families, I was really starting to feel very alone. My mother said to me the other day "I don't know how you do all this" My response was simply if I don't, who will?

Even when I am exhausted and think I can't face one more appt or school board meeting....I also remember how lucky we are....there are other families dealing with even more than we are.

Wow, I stumbled across this as we are finalizing all of our plans for our December trip. What a God send! We were to Disney three years ago with our four kids -- at the time 7, 6, 3, 2. Our oldest son, is an alphabet soup child (ADHD, AS, OCD, GAD etc!) and at the time was young and small enough to avoid the strange looks and stares during a meltdown. My concern with this trip is if he becomes overstimulated or starts to lose it in a crowd he's old enough (and big enough) that we could be looking at a whole new ball game! He is very sensitive to sensory stimulation, someone in line with too much perfume (happens all the time!), someone talking too loudly next to him, camera flashes can really throw him for a loop. Sometimes he becomes so self involved that he wanders off, or forgets to stay with us. He becomes very intensely interested (okay, okay obsessed) with how things work, I had a dream the other night that I looked away for a moment and he started to dismantle Pooh's hunny pot from the track! I'm not sure how a GAC might help but it's nice to know it's a possibility if we encounter problems.

Thank you so much for the information. You are putting my mind at ease again--I know we can do it! Boy I bet as a group we all could tell some interesting stories!

Michelle

Originally posted by On Wisconsin
! I'm not sure how a GAC might help but it's nice to know it's a possibility if we encounter problems.

The GAC should allow you to wait for rides in a quieter spot (if available). My son is on the autism / aspergers spectrum. But our issues at WDW come more from his Sensory Integration Dysfunction. He doesnt like being in close contact with a lot of people, so lines can sometimes be a problem. If he were a little younger, we would try to keep him in a stroller as much as possible. But he now tells me "I am a big boy, mama. Five year olds dont ride in strollers" Said with as much attitude as he can muster, LOL.
I do plan to get a GAC when we go in March, but I also plan to make him wait as much as possible. In our case, his condition is relatively mild and treatable. So it is beneficial to him for me to treat WDW as an extension of therapy.
I say ask for the GAC and use it as needed. Meltdowns are no fun, and they can make the day rough for everyone in your family.

The GAC has definitely made touring the park easier. We have waited longer in the alternative entrances on occasion, but having only a few people around made it easier.

Michelle, I've seen even older NT kids have meltdowns at WDW, maybe not as bad as our aspies, but it happens. I don't think too many people make a big deal about any meltdowns...yeah, some people are going to look, but that happens anywhere! At least I haven't had anyone get nasty to us at WDW about them!

Bethany, if it helps, my son is 7, will be 8 on the next trip and he STILL will take the stroller. I think he likes the cocooning effect of it.

On a side note, we did Hersheypark yesterday for Candylane. This is the first trip to any park since my son started the Strattera a month ago. He did great, had a few perseverations and he lost it at the end of the day. Unlike WDW, we were on the go all day and he had to walk the whole thing, so it was understandable. He went on the skyride with my BIL and asked BIL how he thought the pulleys worked and they spent almost the whole time (15 minutes) talking about how the ride worked...he wanted to go on it about three more times after that!

Suzanne

Originally posted by Poohnatic

Bethany, if it helps, my son is 7, will be 8 on the next trip and he STILL will take the stroller. I think he likes the cocooning effect of it.

Suzanne

There is always the option of renting one when we get there, if he thinks he will use it. But he is a big kid, so most of the store bought strollers are too small for him. He is 47 inches and 50 pounds. His feet were dragging on the ground a year ago. Thats when I reluctantly gave up the stroller. I really miss it when we go most places. I loved not having to carry anything, just toss it all in the basket.

Hi.
Just wanted to mention that some WDW CMs have posted in the past that the largest size strollers for rent in the parks will hold up to a small 12 yr old.
Also, I've been told that this place rents special needs strollers:
http://www.all-about-kids.com/main.htm
Special needs strollers are basically exra large size umbrella or jogging strollers made for kids (and small adults) who are too big for regular strollers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter