"Au revior...that's French for get out of here!" A Jan '13 AoA TR COMPLETE

After breakfast we were ready to head to Universal! Though we were totally excited to see something new, particularly The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, we were a little skeptical of having to leave the World. I couldn't help but think that we were loosing a little bit of the magic by having to acknowledge that a world exists outside of Disney World, hahaha!

I have always wondered if I would miss WDW if I stepped away for a day of my trip....how was it? Did you enjoy Universal?

I have always wondered if I would miss WDW if I stepped away for a day of my trip....how was it? Did you enjoy Universal?

It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad we tried something new. However, I don't know that I feel that need to return to Universal soon. I think I'd still pick Disney anyday :)

A not so terrifying free fall

We walked past TWWHP into the Jurassic Park section where we went into the Dinosaur Center. I've never seen this movie but Caitlin has and she really liked this. We went downstairs to play some interactive games as we regrouped and decided what to do next. The other 'adult' ride in the Jurassic Park section is a water ride (which we don't do- neither of us like wandering around in wet clothes) so we decided to walk back around towards the Dr Seuss land.

On the way, we stopped for these pictures even though we had no idea what this was.

8696096384_9085dd51c5.jpg

8694975111_e48fc97ed0.jpg

Entering Seuss Land, I made Caitlin stop for a few more pictures.

8696096280_1875c3c9c4.jpg

8694975035_2f54f57041.jpg

First thing we did in Seuss land was take a trolley ride. The ride was themed off of the Lorax and rode up over the park so we could look down and see the other rides. Just like Disney, we got off in a gift shop where Caitlin decided to buy a chocolate covered s'more which looked pretty tasty.

Looking for something a little bit more thrilling, we headed towards The Incredible Hulk and were lucky enough to ride twice with pretty much no wait! That was a lot of fun, and definitely a great coaster. You certainly don't ride things that shoot you upside down off the launch hill in Disney World!

We were hoping to ride Spiderman next but it was down so we made our way towards Dr Doom's Free Fall. The weight seemed short from outside but the line crawled and the actual ride wasn't very tall, or terrifying. That was a little bit of a disappointment, but oh well!

We continued to loop around the park and found the next section was pretty much all water rides. It was pretty warm at this point, but still not warm enough to get wet. We made our way back to TWWHP and stopped for pictures with Hogwarts in the background!

8694975501_1b72706538.jpg

8696096142_18a141e56e.jpg

We rode the Forbidden Journey again, grabbed another Butterbeer and sat in the shade in Hogsmeade to eat some food we'd gotten at the AoA food court this morning.

Next update: “I think we're the oldest people on this ride...”

For anyone that has seen Jurassic Park, the recreated visitors center was second only to Hogwarts as one of the coolest things in the park. It was like I had just stepped into the movie, in fact, I was afraid a raptor would come bursting in at any moment!

I second the disappointment in Dr. Doom's Freefall ride....the free fall ride at the local amusement park in our hometown was better than this.

The Hulk, however, was awesome, and even though we didn't have to wait very long in the queue, I loved how it was themed. In our rush to get to it, I failed to notice that it actually launches you from the top of the hill rather than just releasing you, so I was in for a big surprise the first time!:rotfl:

I can't wait to visit Universal - we've been waiting for the kids to get a little older before visiting. Couldn't justify the ticket costs with the kids only being able to go on a handful of rides. I'm sure when we do go, it'll be awesome!

We went to see Hogwarts in Jan. '12, and while it was cool, I don't have much of a desire to go back. Besides the actual HP section, everything else was just so busy! Not people wise, but decorating wise. It was extremely overwhelming. I missed the wide open spaces at Disney parks! I mean, think about how many grassy areas you see in MK alone! I like a little space :)

However, I will say that Butterbeer (frozen!) is sooooo good. I wouldn't turn one of those down!

I'm enjoying following along!

For anyone that has seen Jurassic Park, the recreated visitors center was second only to Hogwarts as one of the coolest things in the park. It was like I had just stepped into the movie, in fact, I was afraid a raptor would come bursting in at any moment!

I second the disappointment in Dr. Doom's Freefall ride....the free fall ride at the local amusement park in our hometown was better than this.

The Hulk, however, was awesome, and even though we didn't have to wait very long in the queue, I loved how it was themed. In our rush to get to it, I failed to notice that it actually launches you from the top of the hill rather than just releasing you, so I was in for a big surprise the first time!:rotfl:

I forgot we forgot about that! I don't know why it didn't click that was why the trains shot out of the tunnel so fast :rotfl:

:goodvibes Great update!

Thanks!

I can't wait to visit Universal - we've been waiting for the kids to get a little older before visiting. Couldn't justify the ticket costs with the kids only being able to go on a handful of rides. I'm sure when we do go, it'll be awesome!

The theme is really extensive so I'm sure you guys will love it. Definitely more of a grown-up park (at least in the height aspect) so it's probably worth the weight for you guys.

We went to see Hogwarts in Jan. '12, and while it was cool, I don't have much of a desire to go back. Besides the actual HP section, everything else was just so busy! Not people wise, but decorating wise. It was extremely overwhelming. I missed the wide open spaces at Disney parks! I mean, think about how many grassy areas you see in MK alone! I like a little space :)

However, I will say that Butterbeer (frozen!) is sooooo good. I wouldn't turn one of those down!

I'm enjoying following along!

The decoration is incredibly immersive- much more so than Disney, I'd say. You're right, though that everything sort of towers over and covers you. I think Disney is designed to be a little more crowd friendly.

Before leaving TWWHP we both stopped for a Hogwarts crest pin for our pea coats. Now we would look like official Hogwarts students!

On our way back towards Seuss Land we got roped in by a Universal Cast Member (is that what they call themselves?) to see Posidon's Fury. We weren't really sure what it was, but the show was supposed to start soon and the theming looked really cool from the outside. I'm glad we did it- the show was actually pretty funny and the special effects inside were awesome. Plus, the whole thing was air conditioned!

After that we went to Seuss Land and rode the Caro- Seuss- al. Caitlin rode a cow, and I rode an elephant!

8696096216_1cf516f531.jpg

8694974883_f0e3220549.jpg

I guess the elephant put me in a Dumbo mood because after that we moved towards One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish which is very similar to the Flying Dumbos. The premise of the ride seemed simple- you listen to the song which tells you to go up and down at certain times. If you're up/down at the wrong time, the fountains will spray you.

As we boarded, I noted to my sister that I was pretty sure we were the oldest people getting on the ride without children. Maybe I was a little overconfident but how hard could it be?

I'm sure you guys can guess where this is going. There we were- two adults- half laughing, half yelling as we continued to get sprayed because we somehow couldn't get the up/down directions right. Being a little wet was worth it, because this was probably one of my favorite rides of the day!

After this we rode Cat-in-the-Hat which is pretty much like the Winnie the Pooh ride in Disney.

Finally we were able to make our way to Spiderman and it was open! I was completely blown away by this ride! The technology was beyond belief and really awesome. At one point, I was so startled I nearly knocked my 3D glasses off!

Even though we felt like we had rode a ton of stuff we decided it was time to head out at this point. We were tired and our legs were definitely starting to feel all the walking we'd done so far. After driving back to AoA we stopped in Landscapes of Flavor for dinner. I think we both got that create your own pasta bowl which was pretty good! I also indulged in a Mickey stick!

8695015061_e6a5eb1ca7.jpg

We changed and decided to sit by the pool and read (we were both in the middle of a Kingdom Keepers book!) It was only 50-something degrees that night but I was determined to get in the water so I could hear the under-water music. The pool and music was awesome, but the walk back to the LM rooms was freezing!

Next update: Closing thoughts on Universal: Islands of Adventure

I'm sure you guys can guess where this is going. There we were- two adults- half laughing, half yelling as we continued to get sprayed because we somehow couldn't get the up/down directions right. Being a little wet was worth it, because this was probably one of my favorite rides of the day!

After this we rode Cat-in-the-Hat which is pretty much like the Winnie the Pooh ride in Disney.

Finally we were able to make our way to Spiderman and it was open! I was completely blown away by this ride! The technology was beyond belief and really awesome. At one point, I was so startled I nearly knocked my 3D glasses off!

One Fish 2 Fish was easily one of the best rides at Universal. What a cool idea, to add instructions to was is essentially Dumbo! Besides being hilarious because we kept getting it wrong, the song was so catchy and I was singing it for the remainder of the day (and am again as I type this). Up, up, up, down down down....:music:

The Cat in the Hat ride was also a surprise, because it differed from most similar dark ride in that there was a spinning element. Anyone ever ride the Whip at carnivals as a child? You know, the thing where you go slowly down the long sides then it whips you around the turns? That kind of motion from scene to scene...just enough spinning without making us dizzy.

Spiderman was REALLY cool and I'm glad it opened to we got to ride it. I think it uses similar technology to Forbidden Journey, which means I had NO idea how they created the sensations we were feeling...definitely another one of my favorites. I may be a loyal fan of the mouse, but this ride and Forbidden Journey tops anything they have at Disney...thats high praise coming from me!

One Fish 2 Fish was easily one of the best rides at Universal. What a cool idea, to add instructions to was is essentially Dumbo! Besides being hilarious because we kept getting it wrong, the song was so catchy and I was singing it for the remainder of the day (and am again as I type this). Up, up, up, down down down....:music:

The Cat in the Hat ride was also a surprise, because it differed from most similar dark ride in that there was a spinning element. Anyone ever ride the Whip at carnivals as a child? You know, the thing where you go slowly down the long sides then it whips you around the turns? That kind of motion from scene to scene...just enough spinning without making us dizzy.

Spiderman was REALLY cool and I'm glad it opened to we got to ride it. I think it uses similar technology to Forbidden Journey, which means I had NO idea how they created the sensations we were feeling...definitely another one of my favorites. I may be a loyal fan of the mouse, but this ride and Forbidden Journey tops anything they have at Disney...thats high praise coming from me!

I agree!

I wanted to take an update and give my final remarks on Universal. Overall, I'm glad we went. I was a little hesitant about losing the magic by venturing off property but the park was fun and I'm glad we tried something new. There were a few things that definitely stood out to me.

-The theme- The themeing was over the top and very, very impressive. We were completely immersed in every section of the park, even if we didn't know what the section was supposed to be. That brings me to my next point, which is...

-Nostalgia- Universal definitely lacked that magical nostalgia Disney has more me. I loved TWWOHP, and enjoyed the super hero section. I know DSis really liked the Jurassic Park section. However, we both agreed that there wasn't that magical connection to our childhoods like Disney had.

-The rides- The rides were great, and I really liked that there were a lot more thrill rides than Disney. The castle ride, and the Spiderman ride were awesome and definitely top Disney's most popular thrills.

Though I did a lot of comparing, Universal and Disney are sort of like apples and oranges. I don't think I'll be returning to Universal on my next couple of trips, but I recommend that everyone visit at one point or another.

Next update: 12 Hour Magic Marathon

Though I mostly agree with Emily that universal was enjoyable, but I prefer Disney, I would like to return to universal within the next few years. I think I'd enjoy the area much more as a whole if I stayed on site, visited both parks, and spent some time in city walk. Eventually I think it would be fun to do a split stay between universal and Disney-perhaps after the Harry potter expansion is completed?

Today was our one and only Magic Kingdom day! That's right folks- 12 magical hours with no hotel breaks. Here goes nothing!

We still had our rental car and were feeling a little lazy so we drove from our room to the food court to grab a quick breakfast. After that, we drove to the AAA Car Care Center to return our car and grab a bus to the Magic Kingdom. The return process was quick and easy. We turned in the keys and they checked the car quick. Rather than wait for a bus directly to MK, we agreed to get a on a shuttle to the Poly and take the monorail to MK.

Though we were well on our way, and arrived at the park just after opening, the magic came to a halt when I went to tap my room key to enter and couldn't find it. Oh no! Caitlin had already gone into the park so she called my mom and waited for me while I went to guest services and had another room key printed. The whole process was pretty painless and took about twenty minutes.

With that sorted out we were on our way down Mainstreet! I wanted to stop for some PP pictures but it was pretty foggy out so we made a beeline for Space Mountain instead and waited about twenty minutes in the stand-by line. When we got off, the fog had cleared and the sun made it surprisingly warm out.

Next, we headed for New Fantasyland! I was super excited for this! We stopped to take a peak at the Mine train construction and I snagged a few pictures.

8891173111_b577c475b9.jpg

8891178937_9ed9b002fb.jpg

Seeing that there was no line for Dumbo we decided to take a momentary detour and ride. After all, who can resist a classic?! I don't remember the old queue but the new one was pretty cool. The fact that there are now two Dumbo rides definitely helps to push people through quickly.

8891788374_08cf9f6390.jpg

8891162095_1a14e61c67.jpg

377648_10101099958800631_1476786223_n.jpg

8891151477_ecca20dbce.jpg

Now- back to the original plan. Ariel is my absolute favorite so her new ride was our first stop!

8891134965_5dbe1f86d8.jpg

8891128869_4673c06ea5.jpg

Admittedly, the ride isn't anything special. It's another Disney track ride that chronicles the movie. I still enjoyed it through!

When we went in there had been a PP photographer taking pictures by Prince Eric's castle but he was gone when he got off the ride. I made DSis play PP photographer instead!

8891100351_d6234c12ef.jpg

The line to meet Ariel was a 20 minute wait. Cait was skeptical but I insisted so we got in line. The wait wasn't bad, and probably was a little less than 20 minutes. Ariel was great! She saw my matching shirt and said I was earning my ears and my tail!

8891124021_9042ce1aa9.jpg

Next update: "Au revior...that's French for get out of here"

While we were waiting we heard Gaston come out with a couple of the following gems:

“Welcome to my poor, provincial town”

“Tinkerbelle? She shares a name with my girlfriend Belle- only the most beautiful girl in the village”

“Is that a book? It doesn't even have any pictures!”

When it was our turn, he was concerned that I wore a 'fish' shirt but I assured him my Gaston shirt was at home!

8891119097_a163e2ba88.jpg

8891736338_e11723be66.jpg

As we were finishing up, he said goodbye like a french gentleman...and then was happy to give us a translation. As the title of our TR suggests, it went like this:

“Au Revior...that's French for get out of here!”

We walked off with a laugh! Next, we made our way through Fantasy Land and Liberty Square stopping for Peter Pan's Flight, Small World and Haunted Mansion. At this point, the weather had become cool and windy. The crowds were low so nothing had much of a wait. Unfortunately, I didn't do a very good job documenting this part of our day.

We stopped at Sleepy Hallow waffles for a snack/lunch. We got a delicious waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. I had a picture of this master piece but when my iPhone dumped a couple weeks ago, it deleted it.

We continued on our spree around the circle with stops for Jungle Cruise, Pirates and BTMRR. Even though the crowds were low we utilized FPs by getting one, riding something else, then going back and using the FP. This worked pretty well!

It had definitely gotten colder, and started to sprinkle by the time we were off BTMRR so we grabbed a Mickey pretzel and sat under an awning in Frontier Land to enjoy it.

After this, it was about 2:00 and we had looped back around to Mainstreet. Caitlin had been on a mission to meet Rapunzel, and seeing as I made her wait to meet Ariel, I agreed to get in line at the Town Square Theater to see Rapunzel, Aurora and Cinderella. The line moved very slow, and just when we considered getting out of line, we got to go into the greeting room.

8891110781_a6abab7c00.jpg

8891729136_9e64b92fbb.jpg

8891094711_988e755b78.jpg

8891725724_c3bbe2841a.jpg

Aurora was a little lack luster. In the nicest way possible, she was also a little strange looking. We both agreed that something with her make-up just doesn't quite right. Rapunzel and Cinderella were great though!

Up next: Celebrate a Dream Came True

Love the quotes from Gaston! Especially the one that became your TR title :thumbsup2

We didn't get to see him during our last trip but I'm going to have to look for him just to watch and listen to his interactions with the guests.

Love the quotes from Gaston! Especially the one that became your TR title :thumbsup2

We didn't get to see him during our last trip but I'm going to have to look for him just to watch and listen to his interactions with the guests.

He was a little more understated then I thought he'd be but still very fun. He was especially good with some of the little kids- the jokes would go over their heads but the parents would think it was really funny!

So I'll be the first to admit, I've never quite understood the appeal of the Poly, and why it has such a following....Then we strolled through the lobby to catch the monorail after being dropped off by the rental car company. I GET IT!:yay: It was gorgeous and made me feel instantly like I was in another place...sign me up to stay there...or at least visit/dine there, for sure!

This trip reminded me once again how Space Mountain is one of my favorites...I've been on much more thrilling roller coasters but being in the dark adds such a fun element!

New Fantasyland was fun and SO WELL DONE! The attention to detail once again amazes me.

I was less than impressed with the Little Mermaid ride, actually, I think walking the the queue line was more interesting than the ride....just a typical dark ride with fake looking animatronics...sorry Disney, try harder!
Meeting Ariel, on the other hand, was a much better experience than her ride...I guess I wasn't sure what to expect from her, because I've never met her before, and she was wonderful!

Speaking of wonderful character greetings, Gaston was HILARIOUS...honestly the best part was listening to him the whole time we were in line, the stuff he came up with was so funny! I would definitely wait in line to see him again. My personal favorite was when he told a girl with a Tinkerbell autograph book, that it appeared she had squished a bug with her book! :rotfl2:

Another ride that I was disappointed in was Peter Pan. I had such high expectations for this, since it seems so popular, and it just did nothing to impress me...and really I'm not that hard to impress, I swear! I wouldn't wait in line for this again...but that's ok, less crowds for the people who love to ride it!

It took us a while to find Sleepy Hallow, but it was worth the search, because that waffle was delicious! My only regret is that *cough cough* SOMEONE has a nut allergy so we couldn't order the Nutella and fruit one instead. I love Nutella so much I'm pretty sure I could live off of it...but I digress...

Jungle Cruise is another one of my all time favorite Disney rides...not sure DSis understands my obsession with this one, but the jokes are so funny:rotfl: Again, not much to impress me....

Before we went on POTC, we stopped briefly at a DVC stand to look at photos of the properties and someone told us a little more about it. We therefore spent the entire time in line for POTC discussing how and when we could become DVC owners...I'm sure this is normal, right?

Our FP plan worked out great....and we were praising the system left and right, and while we had to do a little extra walking, I'm sure it was worth it.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen the new Haunted Mansion queue-very cool. Tons of interactive elements to look at and touch, we opted for the longer queue so we could check it out, and were very glad we did!

The line to meet the princesses was sooooooo slow moving and pretty terrible, but I'm glad we didn't give up, because Rapunzel was perfect!!! Tangled is definitely my favorite movie and she was so bubbly and chatty and happy, just like in the movie! I was only disappointed that the PP photogapher didn't get more pictures. Cinderella was very sweet too, and taught us that princess pose, which as you can see from the picture, I kind of fail at...hahaha

Despite the cool weather, we had a pretty good day in the MK so far, but it was only half over...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter