August trip no park days

ajstaud

Mouseketeer
Hi,

My parents (78) wanted to just go down and stay at Saratoga and do a swim vacation. At this time we don't plan on going into the parks. I'm looking for suggestions of things that we can do that don't require going into the parks.

I know some of the other resorts have like a paint a picture event, but I'm having trouble finding them. I thought there was something at the wilderness campground that was like make a lazy Susan type thing. Has anyone else seen or heard or done any of these little extra things?

Would love all suggestions.

Coronado Springs has a Spanish Mosaic activity on Mondays at 1pm and Sangria University at the 3 Bridges restaurant on Sat or Sun at 1:30. They also have a painting class, but I have not attended that one. If you go to the Coronado Springs home page on MDE and look at the recreation tab, I think they are listed there. Of course, there's the Spa at Saratoga which is great. We also like to ride the monorail (resort loop) and stop at Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian to explore those beautiful resorts. There is live music (jazz) at Port Orleans French Quarter on specific nights...also found on their home page on MDE. There's Yehaw Bob's Show at Port Orleans Riverside on certain nights. The Boardwalk is always fun (games, entertainment) in the evening. I'm sure others will have good ideas for even more, but this should start the ball rolling. Hope everyone has a great trip.

Hi,

My parents (78) wanted to just go down and stay at Saratoga and do a swim vacation. At this time we don't plan on going into the parks. I'm looking for suggestions of things that we can do that don't require going into the parks.

I know some of the other resorts have like a paint a picture event, but I'm having trouble finding them. I thought there was something at the wilderness campground that was like make a lazy Susan type thing. Has anyone else seen or heard or done any of these little extra things?

This thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/ has copies of the resorts’ activity schedules and is updated each month. You can see what’s being offered now and follow it as your parents’ trip gets closer.

Don't forget about carriage rides at POR or FW.
If you have a vehicle, you can drive over to Universal's CityWalk and walk/shop around there.
Definitely do the monorail loop, we love doing that on an off day.
If you have never been to AKL, then I think that is a must do. It's such a unique resort and you can view the safari etc.

Sorry as this may sound dumb but they are aware of the FL weather situation in Aug right? (I only ask because some people actually are not aware it is hot as hades, humid as all get out, with good odds of being rainy/stormy with the ever present Aug-Oct hurricane chance.)

Sorry as this may sound dumb but they are aware of the FL weather situation in Aug right? (I only ask because some people actually are not aware it is hot as hades, humid as all get out, with good odds of being rainy/stormy with the ever present Aug-Oct hurricane chance.)
Oh yes, they are aware! Thus they wanted to focus on doing mostly swimming and lounging, but I think a few activities would be nice break to get out of the sun/heat/storms

I think what you are referring to is the "Crockett's craft corner wine and woodshop". It is every Tuesday at 11:30 at Ft. Wilderness. You create a personalized circular wooden sign at the event. Reservations can be made by calling (407) WDW-PLAY. I have wanted to do this for the last few trips but the timing hasn't been right, the signs look really cute though!

If they like sangria, Sangria University is fun at CSR!
Also Trader Sam’s at the Poly is always fun, and the apps there are pretty good too 🙂.

Hi,

My husband and I are doing the same thing when we go down in October. I’m not sure if anyone’s mentioned this but we are planning on going to the stables on one of the days.It’s free and you can go in and look at the horses. I believe they have like a little museum/showcase in the stables also and I believe there’s also a guide. I have always wanted to do this, but never wanted to take a park day to go venture off. We are staying at the boardwalk. The boardwalk also has activities but there at night and it might be too late for your parents. Whatever they do, they will have a great time… Because you’re at Disney!!

Fantasia Gardens mini golf located across from the Swan/Dolphin is a nice early morning activity.
Besides taking an Uber, you can take the bus to HS and from there take the boat to the Swan. It’s just a short walk from there.

My family loved the community hall at OKW on our recent visit - lots of crafts, games and movies are available. It was like family summer camp. Saratoga probably offers the same activities - if not go to the community hall at OKW.

I think what you are referring to is the "Crockett's craft corner wine and woodshop". It is every Tuesday at 11:30 at Ft. Wilderness. You create a personalized circular wooden sign at the event. Reservations can be made by calling (407) WDW-PLAY. I have wanted to do this for the last few trips but the timing hasn't been right, the signs look really cute though!
Yes! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter