Aulani Construction Update

Thanks you MinnesotaChill for the update. I was there this time last year, so I was just wondering, I did see some photos of all the walls. I'm sure we will still have a wonderful time. will be better than working.

Thanks again.

NorCalDVC said:
We're they offering any points back on the rooms like they were earlier?

We haven't been offered points back and would never consider asking. The construction has not affected us at all. I don't know that garden views would be affected, it seems the construction is mostly at the ends of the buildings near the beach. When we were in the spa area we heard nothing. Our beach experience has not been impacted in the least. :-)

Thanks for the reassurance. We also are leaving on the 15th and have been just a little apprehensive.....

We were there a few weeks ago - I found the pin for "inconvenience" to be a bit on the insulting side. I know the pins cost very little to make (literally a handful of change at most). We felt that for the amount of construction going on in an area where you generally go to relax was a bit much. Even a voucher for a free breakfast at Makahiki would have been more well received.

Now before someone jumps on me about "just be happy you could go" understand that I have NEVER complained to Disney before (with the exception I let them know about some broken tiles in the VWL laundry facility but that wasn't a complaint more of a "hey, you may want to investigate this").

I sent Disney a fairly long email listing out our issues as well as what we thought they did very well. Did we expect anything from it outside of an acknowledgement that we received your email and are looking at making adjustments, etc? No - but I did receive a call last week from DVC and discussed with them in details some of the items (both good and bad). They were very receptive of both the email we sent as well as our follow up discussion.

We've been to Disney several times during "low season" and while yes, things are under maintenance and construction, the perception of it being "everywhere" is lessened because you have various other parks and resorts to enjoy. At Aulani, where Disney is trying to make it more of a destination resort and they would prefer you do most activities, eating, drinking and relaxing with them, they really did not adequately plan. I think they should have focused on one area of construction/maintenance at a time and once completed started on another area.

As much as Aulani is beautiful and we did enjoy the other areas of the resort we will NOT be back until all the construction is completed.

We've been here since Friday and have had a blast. We have not heard any construction and the walls were not intrusive. We are here for 10 days and look forward to the rest. We did not expect anything for the construction but, on our first night here, they stopped by and dropped off a small art print for the troubles. My kids have enjoyed themselves. It has been literally one of our best vacations ever so far. Don't worry!

We've been here since Friday and have had a blast. We have not heard any construction and the walls were not intrusive. We are here for 10 days and look forward to the rest. We did not expect anything for the construction but, on our first night here, they stopped by and dropped off a small art print for the troubles. My kids have enjoyed themselves. It has been literally one of our best vacations ever so far. Don't worry!

Woo Hoo....we will be there in alittle over a month. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! What have been the highlights so far? What age are your kids? Mine are 8 & 3.

Erika

I'm here now as well and in the Ewa Tower. I can hear the construction but, frankly, I haven't paid much attention. The grills are not working, per the daily news event thing that is going on. I'm sitting in my room right now with the patio open and I can hear some hammering over on the 'south' end by the fire pit (noticed that today when I sitting over there) and have heard some truck beeping but not what I would consider annoying, not to me anyway. I also don't think it's very unsightly. There is one area of the walkway between the resort and the 'beach' area that you have to walk on the grass to get around the panels that are up but that's no big deal.

Because my body is having a tough time adjusting to the change in time, I had decided to hang around the resort today. So I've been in my room off and on quite a bit today, at various times. I will say the one thing that bothered me more than the construction was the fact that there was some music or a singer at 7:15 this morning outside the Olelo Room, or near that area. I was already up (my body was up at 2:45 thinking it was 6:45) so it was no big deal but if I would have been woken by that, I would NOT have been happy. And I slept with the living room patio door open so I would have heard it.

I will say the one thing that bothered me more than the construction was the fact that there was some music or a singer at 7:15 this morning outside the Olelo Room, or near that area. I was already up (my body was up at 2:45 thinking it was 6:45) so it was no big deal but if I would have been woken by that, I would NOT have been happy. And I slept with the living room patio door open so I would have heard it.

I wonder if what you heard was the morning chant? When we were at Aulani in September, the resort started each morning with a Hawaiian chant. It always seemed to begin at 7:02 AM. We were usually already sitting on our balcony when the chant started, and we thought it was a good way to start the day.

wdrl - did it include music? There was music involved. I didn't realize about the chant but that early in the morning it was loud. At night I have heard a blow horn (sorry, I don't know the real name of it) from somewhere like around 5pm. I'm not sure where it's from. I need to ask the desk. I'd love to get a pic of it.

That was waiting for me in my room when I got here last night. It's a great print. And DVC members got a pin - well I did. I'd much rather have those items than points back because it probably wouldn't be enough points for me to do anything with, frankly. And it's a great souvenier.

I wonder if what you heard was the morning chant? When we were at Aulani in September, the resort started each morning with a Hawaiian chant. It always seemed to begin at 7:02 AM. We were usually already sitting on our balcony when the chant started, and we thought it was a good way to start the day.

I did manage to hear the morning chant the one time we slept with the door open - it was a neat way to start the day! Of course, the construction started shortly after, so that wasn't as beautiful, but it does serve as a good reminder that it's time to get up :lmao:

Overall, it didn't affect our enjoyment of the resort - I mostly just thought it was neat to watch from our balcony. A few construction photos from when we were there (left on 2/1):

IMG_3456_zpscc34de15.jpg

The crane was only there on our first day. We didn't see it again after that one morning.

IMG_3458_zps27053489.jpg

IMG_3429_zpsc57fee63.jpg

IMG_8633_zpsa83d33a0.jpg

IMG_8631_zps363bed52.jpg

IMG_8629_zpsf12adc01.jpg

IMG_8628_zps6f439967.jpg

HTH! :goodvibes

We were there a few weeks ago - I found the pin for "inconvenience" to be a bit on the insulting side. I know the pins cost very little to make (literally a handful of change at most). We felt that for the amount of construction going on in an area where you generally go to relax was a bit much. Even a voucher for a free breakfast at Makahiki would have been more well received.

Now before someone jumps on me about "just be happy you could go" understand that I have NEVER complained to Disney before (with the exception I let them know about some broken tiles in the VWL laundry facility but that wasn't a complaint more of a "hey, you may want to investigate this").

I sent Disney a fairly long email listing out our issues as well as what we thought they did very well. Did we expect anything from it outside of an acknowledgement that we received your email and are looking at making adjustments, etc? No - but I did receive a call last week from DVC and discussed with them in details some of the items (both good and bad). They were very receptive of both the email we sent as well as our follow up discussion.

We've been to Disney several times during "low season" and while yes, things are under maintenance and construction, the perception of it being "everywhere" is lessened because you have various other parks and resorts to enjoy. At Aulani, where Disney is trying to make it more of a destination resort and they would prefer you do most activities, eating, drinking and relaxing with them, they really did not adequately plan. I think they should have focused on one area of construction/maintenance at a time and once completed started on another area.

As much as Aulani is beautiful and we did enjoy the other areas of the resort we will NOT be back until all the construction is completed.

I totally agree with you. We would not come back again while under construction. But would love it if we were fortunate enough to be able to come back sometime when there was no construction. I think Aulani would be a perfect destination without construction and when things weren't broken (like the Menehune Bridge which they continue to delay opening back up!).

I think some people can block noise out and others can't. My family must be in the can't block out category. We paid the extra points for ocean view so we could spend lots of time enjoying our balcony in peace, but we can't even enjoy having the doors open during the day to let the fresh breeze come in.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the beeping of a truck backing up occurs every 15 seconds virtually all day long and then there's the jackhammering and general banging about. Even our young kids have asked us to close our sliding door because they are tired of hearing the beeping -- and usually kids can zone out when playing games on their electronics and such.

Not being able to keep our doors open during the day or sit on our balcony in peace during the day is a real bummer to our family.

I'm glad to hear that Disney responded to your email.

wdrl - did it include music? There was music involved. I didn't realize about the chant but that early in the morning it was loud. At night I have heard a blow horn (sorry, I don't know the real name of it) from somewhere like around 5pm. I'm not sure where it's from. I need to ask the desk. I'd love to get a pic of it.

The morning chant would start, and then they immediately started the background music that is piped in at Waikolohe Valley for the rest of the day. I tried to find a CD of the music but a couple CMs told me it wasn't for sale.

That was waiting for me in my room when I got here last night. It's a great print. And DVC members got a pin - well I did. I'd much rather have those items than points back because it probably wouldn't be enough points for me to do anything with, frankly. And it's a great souvenier.

Hmmm, I'm a member and didn't get a pin. Oh well, it doesn't matter. :) We are having the time of our lives!

LOVE THE CHANTS! We were there last June and heard it twice a day! 7am then late evening @ 11pm! It was my reminder of when the resort would be peaceful and quiet! Between those 2 times the piped music blares (all day) while people go about their day - mostly hearing loud kids having a great time!
I would sit out on the lanai an hour or so before chant time to watch the sun come up then later an hour after chant time to unwind from the day! LOVE THE REAL OCEAN VIEW while on the lanai - not the one of other hotel's parking structure! (LOL) Sorry for those who have to put up with the on going construction now but hopefully you will return at a later date to enjoy the new surroundings!

By these photos, it appears to be the lawn where weddings are held is now under construction. We are planning to get married in Aulani in Summer of 2014 and that was one of the sites we wanted. Does anyone know or have heard of them moving the lawn to a different area, or having another wedding location with the beach and ocean in the backdrop?

By these photos, it appears to be the lawn where weddings are held is now under construction. We are planning to get married in Aulani in Summer of 2014 and that was one of the sites we wanted. Does anyone know or have heard of them moving the lawn to a different area, or having another wedding location with the beach and ocean in the backdrop?
When we were at Aulani in September, we heard that the resort was going to use the Halawai Lawn for weddings and private parties. The Halawai Lawn is on the Ewa side of the resort and is probably larger than the lawn was on the Waianae side. By the way, the Halawai Lawn is where the Starlit Hui is performed twice a week.

The Halawai Lawn is on the left side on this Aulani map:

AulaniMapCabanas2.jpg

When we were at Aulani in September, we heard that the resort was going to use the Halawai Lawn for weddings and private parties. The Halawai Lawn is on the Ewa side of the resort and is probably larger than the lawn was on the Waianae side. By the way, the Halawai Lawn is where the Starlit Hui is performed twice a week.

The Halawai Lawn is on the left side on this Aulani map:

AulaniMapCabanas2.jpg

Thank you for the information. That is a little disappointing as the Waianae lawn seemed to have the best backdrop of the beach and the ocean which we wanted. We will only have a wedding party of 18-20 so the larger lawn on the Halawai Lawn is meh to me lol.

Hopefully there will be a newer location introduced which still offers the beach and ocean backdrop during the ceremony.

Thank you for the information. That is a little disappointing as the Waianae lawn seemed to have the best backdrop of the beach and the ocean which we wanted. We will only have a wedding party of 18-20 so the larger lawn on the Halawai Lawn is meh to me lol.

Hopefully there will be a newer location introduced which still offers the beach and ocean backdrop during the ceremony.

FYI: There is a wedding chapel right next to Aulani that faces the lagoon. You can see it in Safflower's first photo. Its the gray roofed building on the left side in the photo. We saw several wedding parties from the chapel having their wedding pictures being taken on the beach. By the way, the wedding chapel is not affiliated with Disney.

Good luck on your wedding!!

Edited to Add: If you look closely at Safflower's photo, you can see a wedding party standing on the grass between the wedding chapel and the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter