• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Australia cruises booking dates

If DCL are legitimately charging Aussies in USD, this is utter BS and belies the respect other lines demonstrate. The ridiculous amount of hubris is breathtaking.
They are charging in USD and I expected that. They are a US based cruise ship.
I haven't cruised with anyone else, I just assumed they all did that??

I hate to harp on this.. but these cruises are such a let down. $7700 to sail NYE for 4 nights family of 4 stops at Castaway Cay and Bahamas or $5600 for inaugural out of Sydney to stop at Hobart! Geez 🙄 I know flights and extras but where is the value?

They are charging in USD and I expected that. They are a US based cruise ship.
I haven't cruised with anyone else, I just assumed they all did that??
Being US based is irrelevant. Many cruise lines charge in AUD for the local market. Disney shouldn't attempt to enter this market with fluctuating prices based on the exchange rate. People will be quite annoyed to see their bank charge exchange fees too.

was it about the times?
I'll post anyway in case someone else is curious.

BOOKING WINDOW FOR TRANSPACIFIC CRUISES:
  • Bookings for Platinum Castaway Club Members (completed 10 or more Disney Cruises) and Golden Oak Club Members open on Monday, October 3, 2022 at 8am EST.
  • Bookings for Gold Castaway Club Members (completed 5 - 9 Disney Cruises) open on Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 8am EST.
  • Bookings for Silver Castaway Club Members (completed 1 - 4 Disney Cruises) and Disney Vacation Club members and Adventures by Disney Insiders open on Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 8am EST.
  • Bookings for all Guests open on Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 8am EST.

BOOKING WINDOW FOR DISNEY MAGIC AT SEA AUSTRALIA/ NEW ZEALAND CRUISES:
  • Bookings for Platinum Castaway Club Members (completed 10 or more Disney Cruises) and Golden Oak Club Members open on Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 6pm EST.
  • Bookings for Gold Castaway Club Members (completed 5 - 9 Disney Cruises) open on Monday, September 26, 2022 at 6pm EST.
  • Bookings for Silver Castaway Club Members (completed 1 - 4 Disney Cruises) open on Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 6pm EST.
  • Bookings for all Guests open on Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 6pm EST.
Thanks for this! I couldn't find the booking times online.

Just confirming it is EST right not AEST? Even with the new adjusted booking dates?

I hate to harp on this.. but these cruises are such a let down. $7700 to sail NYE for 4 nights family of 4 stops at Castaway Cay and Bahamas or $5600 for inaugural out of Sydney to stop at Hobart! Geez 🙄 I know flights and extras but where is the value?
Isn't a R/T flight around NYE between Sydney and Orlando $2.5K per person at a minimum? For the four of you, that's $10K right there. Plus the accommodation for a few extra days.

Unless you have a sizable points balance to burn.

Isn't a R/T flight around NYE between Sydney and Orlando $2.5K per person at a minimum? For the four of you, that's $10K right there. Plus the accommodation for a few extra days.

I usually pay around $1300-$1600 return
Never paid $2.5K

And it’s a whole trip also you can combine it with the the parks and other things
More “bank for your buck” so to speak

My point was more bang for you buck.. but yes we own too many DVC points and I’ve never paid $2500 return for flights.

I usually pay around $1300-$1600 return
Never paid $2.5K

And it’s a whole trip also you can combine it with the the parks and other things
More “bank for your buck” so to speak

My point was more bang for you buck.. but yes we own too many DVC points and I’ve never paid $2500 return for flights.
If you haven't flown over the Pacific around NYE in this sort of inflation, you are in for a sticker shock!

Of course, it's great to amortize these flights over a longer trip. Like we will in a couple of months in the opposite direction. But, that's a different sort of travel. These cruises aren't meant for that purpose. They are for folks looking for a quick weekend or half-week Disney escape without having to fly anywhere - certainly not for 14 hours in one direction. Bang for their buck - I suppose - and hence the popularity.

If you haven't flown over the Pacific around NYE in this sort of inflation, you are in for a sticker shock!

Of course, it's great to amortize these flights over a longer trip. Like we will in a couple of months in the opposite direction. But, that's a different sort of travel. These cruises aren't meant for that purpose. They are for folks looking for a quick weekend or half-week Disney escape without having to fly anywhere - certainly not for 14 hours in one direction. Bang for their buck - I suppose - and hence the popularity.
I don't usually fly around that time of year, so you're right I've never looked at the pricing. But I'm headed to the USA in 4 weeks, and I paid $1500 return and I got the tickets not very long ago, so still a long way off $2500, but it's not NYE

I purchased this years flights back in February. So I’ve beat inflation this year.. ok next year may be different but I have DVC to hedge against room price increases.

Value is 'in the eye of the beholder'. It's expensive, the inaugural cruises always are. It's fairly exciting to be on the first cruise at a new port. For me personally, I've been waiting for DCL to come here for over 10 years so the thought of sailing out of my home port with 'Mickey and the Gang' was an opportunity too good to pass up. Especially being so close to my home. When I add in flights and accommodation and insurance to travel to the US or Europe, doing cruises from Australia is cheaper. I also wouldn't just go to the US for a 4 night cruise, we would then add on DLR or WDW, or a quick New York to Vegas trip, which is all $$$. It's a different type of holiday but it will be nice to be so close to home.

Value is 'in the eye of the beholder'. It's expensive, the inaugural cruises always are. It's fairly exciting to be on the first cruise at a new port. For me personally, I've been waiting for DCL to come here for over 10 years so the thought of sailing out of my home port with 'Mickey and the Gang' was an opportunity too good to pass up. Especially being so close to my home. When I add in flights and accommodation and insurance to travel to the US or Europe, doing cruises from Australia is cheaper. I also wouldn't just go to the US for a 4 night cruise, we would then add on DLR or WDW, or a quick New York to Vegas trip, which is all $$$. It's a different type of holiday but it will be nice to be so close to home.
Yeah. But Hobart.

Yeah. But Hobart.
Hey, Hobart is more exciting than the Melbourne cruises that go to Eden!
I live an hour away from Eden and I can tell you there isn't anything there at all! it's a small coastal town with zero to offer anyone.
I'm doing the Sydney 4 night that stops in Hobart - I've never been so at least it's something.

Yes, unfortunately. I can't imagine most people will get out there unless they offer some interesting port adventures.
In 2020, I went on a different cruise line and Hobart had our favorite Australia port adventure...so it could happen:) Of course I'm from the US so probably more excited by the fauna than y'all but hopefully something will be interesting/worthwhile.

In 2020, I went on a different cruise line and Hobart had our favorite Australia port adventure...so it could happen:) Of course I'm from the US so probably more excited by the fauna than y'all but hopefully something will be interesting/worthwhile.
I think they might do a trip to Zoodoo Zoo as it's only a half an hour drive from the port which would be interesting.

Also doing a Sydney-Hobart sailing, I'm a Sydney-sider who keeps putting off a visit to Hobart (yet DH wants to move there) so at least I'll be able to say I've been there 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter