Avatar Flight of Passage vs Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

Which is the better ride?

• Total voters
Both rides made me horribly nauseous. And I took anti-nausea on the days I rode each of those rides. That said, I really enjoyed the live sets in FJ - super super cool.

Both rides make me nauseous, so I usually wear a patch, but both are also amazing. I've never cared for Avatar, but I was in awe by the area and ride. Still, nothing can beat the magic of the Hogwarts castle. Like others, I also prefer and appreciate real 3-D animatronics and props over screens. The nostalgia factor is also hard for me to beat with HP.

Reactions: AJA
Maybe it’s because we had the unlimited express pass and went in January, but my grandsons rode FJ over and over and over and over. I did it about three times, before the dizziness/nausea won out. I waited for them after that point! I have never been able to get more than 2 rides a day on FOP and that was once or twice, so maybe I would have had that reaction too, but I doubt it.

So many rides at IOA are big screens, and so it was tough to take by day 2 for some of those.

This year, since the kids have done it but my daughter hasn’t I anticipate her wanting to do it again and again as well, but I might have to sit and have a butter beer during that.

When I first ride FoP the guy next to me said "That's the greatest thing I've ever done" and I was like, he's not wrong. I had a stupid smile on my face for hours afterwards. That ride is pure exhilaration. FJ on the other hand makes me motion sick every time. It's not quite synced right. I only ride it because my eldest loves it. I do love walking through the castle though, and looking at all the little details. For me Gringotts is much better in terms of syncing the movement of the ride vehicle with the screens.

I'm pretty sure I voted for Avatar but both are great, so much so that I'm not 100% sure. I still remember the exhilaration I felt the first time I rode FJ.

Reactions: AJA
Both great - but I would lean more towards FOP. Much smoother. Forbidden Journey from what I remember was FOP on steroids with some whipping. My DH will go on FOP but Forbidden was one and done.

Flight of Passage by a thin margin. I am not a fan of Avatar but the ride was just amazing.

The walk through of Forbidden Journey still awes me. I feel like I am at Hogwarts and I love the ride as well.

FJ gets the win for two reasons:

1. Practical effects. FJ has them, and they are well done. Well done practical effects are always better than screens. FJ is a blast, but never do i think I am anywhere but looking at some really cool things on a screen.
2. FJ's source material is more engaging. The Avatar movies are not good. Visually amazing, but they are souless. The HP films are much better and more relateable, which makes for a better connection with the attraction.

FJ gets the win for two reasons:

1. Practical effects. FJ has them, and they are well done. Well done practical effects are always better than screens. FJ is a blast, but never do i think I am anywhere but looking at some really cool things on a screen.
This.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter