Back from PCW (Long)

FayeW

DIS Veteran
Well, I wish I could say my trip was uneventful, but this trip was sorta like "The Griswalds do Canada's Wonderland". Car trouble, lost children, rain damage, tow trucks, we had it all! We started out a little later than planned, but still hoping to make T.O by evening, however, we ended up stranded in Peterborough overnight. We could have continued but the truck was making some weird noises that could have been the transmission, and decided to play it safe. We stayed at an absolutely beautiful campground (Beavermead) and the people who run it were extremely helpful in pointing us to various reputable mechanics. It turned out to be not too serious, a/c problems, and we made it to our destination about 4:00 p.m. We didn't like the campground I had reserved, and ended up at another that was better, but ridiculously expensive. Because we are idiots, we took what we got, and discovered 5 days later that there was a beautiful private campground about 25 mins. away for 1/2 the price! We spent Fri evening in Wonderland, and I have to say it must have been as magical for my kids as if will be when we finally get to Disney. Also, we discovered over the next few days that you can get as much done between 6-10 as you can the whole day, because the lines are so much shorter in the evening. We went to the zoo on Saturday, and have many memories of various animals sleeping in tubes. Back to Wonderland on Sunday, where we proceeded to lose our 6 yr old son in Splashworks (not from lack of due vigilance, they were playing in a huge water play structure, we were constantly walking around it making sure we could locate them, and he came out of it, didn't see us immediately, and headed back where we had previously left our towels, forgetting that we had all left there together with all of our belongings.)We were searching the wave pool, bathrooms etc, frantically. He was completely unconcerned about the whole thing, and simply turned around and came back to the structure when he didn't find us. While we were enjoying our day, a microburst struck the campsite, and we returned to discover that the dining area of our camper had been completely shoved back into the trailer by the wind. The result was some of the velco skirting came undone, and we had lots of water on the floor inside the trailer, and a bent support for the canvas. We were able to bend it mostly back into shape, so doesn't look like permanent damage.
Monday saw us back at Wonderland, and when we left at closing we discovered a nasty pool of liquid under our vehicle, never a good sign. We started the truck and were treated to various chirps, squeaks, and rumbles. We made it to a gas station, ended up taking a cab back to our campground, and having it towed on Canada day. They gave us a loaner, but we chose to relax for the day at our previously mentioned ridiculously overpriced campground, and just used the loaner to go to PCW and watch the fireworks. Next day, we had our vehicle repaired (insert dollar signs here). Turned out the fluid on the ground was just a red herring, a leaky oil filter(oil had been changed prior to our trip, as a precaution, we will be bringing up the issue with the garage). The real trouble was a crankshaft pulley, which luckily the dealer had in stock, so the repair cost about $400. Compared to the several thousand $$ we were expecting for a new engine, this was a downright bargain. We headed for home on schedule and without incident, sunburned, tired, cranky, but surprizingly, still having enjoyed our trip.

What do you mean "STRANDED" in Peterborough, wasn't that part of the plan????:p , Beavermead is a lovely park. I grew up in T.O. area and after moving to Ptbo 6 yrs ago, I just love that park.
Sorry you had so many thing go wrong, but I'm glad you had a great vacation! Love Canada's Wonderland!

Glad to hear you still had a good trip despite everthing. We could have had a mini Dis meet at Beavermead. Next time you are stranded there give us all a call. We watch the fireworks from Beavermead, a good place to see them. I like the Griswold reference, were you ready to string Christmas lights on your camper by the time the week ended. LOL.

Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoyed being in Peterborough, and I suspect we will make that park the destination for another trip, however, due to the 3 hr travel time from Ottawa, it will have to be for a long weekend trip. We are heading for N.S for the first week of August, and then my husband has to get ready to go to Afghanistan for 6 mths, so it will probably be next summer before we get back there. How is that free zoo I heard about?

I love the Peterborough Zoo...I grew up about 1/2 a mile from the zoo and we used to bike down there. There is a great children's play area and a small spash area. There aren't tons of animals, but certainly enough to keep my kids entertained. Kids also loved the small train ride they have at other end of zoo. When we go visit Grandma and Grandpa now, it always DD and DS's first request to go play at the zoo. Glad your vacation turned out ok...nothing worse than having car troubles when you're away from home! Jo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter