Back to Back on Dream OR just longer cruise on Fantasy?

I wish they would just count days. If a person has 30 days on the Dream then they can be up to Platinum on the next cruise, but do 30 days on the Fantasy and you're not even to Gold yet. In addition, most lines give double points for booking suites and higher (basically, for booking Concierge). Having booked Concierge 4 times out of 6, we'd be Platinum on our next cruise if they did it like most of the others.

Then again, there isn't really much advantage to being higher level on Disney anyway. Not like there is on those other lines at least.
The big advantage is the booking window opening sooner. If you're into excursions, that can make a difference, as some of the most sought-after ones do sell out. Also, getting to book a new cruise before other categories can make a diffrence in what cabin you can get at what price. I agree that once you're on the ship, your CC status makes no difference. Imo that is a good thing.

The only real way to make the counting system for status fair would be to do it by dollars per person spent (15 days worth of Dream cruises is a lot more expensive than one Magic transatlantic, and a holiday Fantasy cruise in an inside cabin can cost more than an off-season Fantasy cruise in concierge), but counting dollars would be too much like an airline, so I'm satisfied with the system they use now.

The big advantage is the booking window opening sooner. If you're into excursions, that can make a difference, as some of the most sought-after ones do sell out.

The only reason we care is to book first day for the new ships. We're seriously considering jumping ship for a line like RCCL, which still leaves out of Port Canaveral but doubles points for suites and has perks like special lounges for a certain level of loyalty. Getting something in exchange for being loyal to a company is a nice thing. It's the reason we stick with Marriott, Delta and American Express. Now we're shopping cruise loyalty and Disney's is severely lacking.

If a person has 30 days on the Dream then they can be up to Platinum on the next cruise, but do 30 days on the Fantasy and you're not even to Gold yet.
I hear you. After our first 5 cruises we had 53 nights. And it took us 3 years. 5 more cruises (4 more years) and we finally made Platinum with 90 nights.

Been doing b2b for the last few feb. 2016 on magic, 2017 on Wonder, and this feb 2018 on the wonder. We never feel the Day is wasted. We’ve gotten off by 9:30 and back on by 10:30. Head straight to the adult pool and relax until time for the drill. On the magic we loved Tangled and saw it on both cruises. During b2b we are there to relax, and love going to CC twice. On the Wonder we get to see Frozen. The other shows we only see once. This feb on the Wonder we are doing a 3 night Bahamas/7 night western cruise b2b. The wonder is returning from San Juan so offering different itineraries. Always the same cabin is important. But with all that, we also have been sailing on the fantasy 7 night cruise too. We did this in 2015, 2017 and again in 2018. So the best of both worlds. And yes, we are platinum with cruises 14 and 15 in February 2018!

My experience has been that people on a 7-night cruise are less rushed because they know they have 7 nights to see the characters and experience everything. On our shorter cruises, some people seemed rushed and stressed at character lines. Just a different atmosphere.

For kids, they will have more time to develop friendships in the clubs on a 7-night cruise.

You'll have a different menu every night on the Fantasy vs. repeating menus.

I wish they would just count days. If a person has 30 days on the Dream then they can be up to Platinum on the next cruise, but do 30 days on the Fantasy and you're not even to Gold yet. In addition, most lines give double points for booking suites and higher (basically, for booking Concierge). Having booked Concierge 4 times out of 6, we'd be Platinum on our next cruise if they did it like most of the others.

Then again, there isn't really much advantage to being higher level on Disney anyway. Not like there is on those other lines at least.

Can I ask what ARE the advantages to Gold, Platinum, etc..? Is it JUST being able to book things earlier? Or are there other benefits?

Can I ask what ARE the advantages to Gold, Platinum, etc..? Is it JUST being able to book things earlier? Or are there other benefits?

More swag in the room. Platinum gets a Palo meal and boards right after Concierge.

That's about it other than early booking.

I often hear the B2Bs are less expensive however that has not been my experience when comparing, until this year. Using my 10% OBB discount for the 4 night and then booking the 3 night as a new cruise with no discount came out to a couple hundred less than doing the Fantasy the same week with the 10% off the whole cruise.

It’s good to read your experience - doesn’t hurt to keep checking then... did you find the comparison in favor of the B2B finally on (or near) opening day or at another time?

It’s good to read your experience - doesn’t hurt to keep checking then... did you find the comparison in favor of the B2B finally on (or near) opening day or at another time?

It was within a week of opening day. I usually book on opening day but I happened to be away on vacation at the time, so once I got home and figured out what I wanted to do was when we booked. Like I said, it as just a couple hundred difference, so really comparable in the long run, but that was the first time I saw the B2Bs technically come out to less.

I just did a check for a B2B (we have 2 until Platinum, so thought it might be worth it), and a 7 day, this is what I found:
Cat 5A 2A on Dream May 7 4 night: $2705.60
Cat 5A 2A (same room on Dream May 11 3 night: $2059.60
For a total of: $4765.20 for a B2B
For the Fantasy sailing May 12th Western Carib Cat 5A 2A $5221.68
Difference of: $456.48
There might be bigger differences in different categories. This is just what I was looking at. For me, the difference isn't that much, but I still need to decide if the benefits of a B2B outweigh just staying on the ship for 7 days and seeing more ports (although I have seen all of them)
Hope this helps someone.

My experience has been that people on a 7-night cruise are less rushed because they know they have 7 nights to see the characters and experience everything. On our shorter cruises, some people seemed rushed and stressed at character lines. Just a different atmosphere.

I completely agree with this. Six of my ten cruises have been on the Dream, with two B2B's (3/4 night, 5/5-night double dips), but I'm done with the shorter cruises for now. Everyone is too rushed, especially on the 3-night. The benefits to B2B that I saw have already been mentioned - more time to relax or do other activities in the evening since you've already seen the shows, and the extra stop at CC.

I will pick the fantasy. A Saturday to Saturday is better for me. Plus only one lifeboat drill. Only have to checkin once. Different shows, different menus.

We are doing a B2B on the Disney Dream in January. We also did one two years ago and we absolutely loved it. A few reasons we decided this:

1. It was much cheaper for us to book a B2B on the Dream than 7 days on the Fantasy.
2. We only stay on the boat aside from Castaway so ports don't bother us.
3. Double Castaway Cay visit. This was great for us last time as one day it was too cold for us to swim.
4. Double Shows so you can skip shows on one of the cruises and swim/Palo or Remy/movies ect
5. We had 90 minutes to explore an almost empty ship last trip during the B2B. We were first in the pool as people just started to board.
6. Faster way to move up in status (this was only partially a reason to book the B2B)
7. Vanellopes (we are BIG Wreck-It-Ralph fans) and the new BatB show.

I'd vote for the longer cruise. More time to enjoy the new friends we met on board. No repeats. You're not out of sync with the entertainment and programming.

We've done both and I prefer the 7 day over a 3/4 b2b. The turn around day is kind of wasted and the repeat of shows menus and ports is less exciting.

Our B2B was 1/2 the price of the 7 day, so I'm still glad that we did it. But I would not do a 4/3 over a 7 again unless it saved a ton of money!

I would do a b2b 7/7 eastern/western with different ports. The "last" evening of the 1st leg is very cool b/c you are one of the only happy ones on board knowing that you don't have to pack up and leave. And being the 1st in the terminal and 1st onboard on leg 2 is very fun!

My vote is for the B2B, because:
  • You'll get to gold status faster.
  • You'll get to visit Castaway Cay twice.
  • You'll get to see the Beauty and the Beast show.
  • The Dream has fewer issues with severe vibration in its aft staterooms than the Fantasy has.
  • The Fantasy no longer has a hot tub on the family pool deck, but the Dream still has it.
  • The Dream has Vanellopes.
  • Imo the Fantasy's character breakfast was lame: just Disney Junior characters & Mickey (not the whole Mickey gang), food was mediocre, & you had to stay seated for the photos. It wasn't as nice as character breakfasts at the parks or resorts.
The main things I would miss about the Fantasy would be the animation show in Animator's Palate & formal night. Although formal night isn't that formal on a Disney cruise. Since it's optional to dress up, only about half of the passengers do so.
  • Have you sailed Fantasy aft since the May 2017 dry dock?
  • The Fantasy has sweet on you which is the same as Vanellope's in everything but theme.
I can see how the Disney Junior characters can be considered lame. With kids in that age group, this is a good activity for them to enjoy, especially when the under 6 crowd is excluded from many official Disney port excursions. It also helps spread out the breakfast crowd. Though I believe the breakfast is the same as the debarkation breakfast menu, just with different names,

I can see how the Disney Junior characters can be considered lame...Though I believe the breakfast is the same as the debarkation breakfast menu, just with different names,
No, it's a different meal than debarkation breakfast.

I would do a longer cruise personally, I don't like having to check out and check back in, etc.

I would definitely do a 7 night cruise! While I've never done B2B, I prefer the unique experiences of a longer cruise and having something new every night vs. the idea of repeating an itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter