• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad Optics for DCL?

Rogillio

DIS Veteran
So by this time next week, hundreds of thousand of people in FL are likely going to homeless, without electricity, without water, without food, home destroyed, cars under water, FEMA and volunteers trying to help.....news and camera crews everywhere documenting the devastation.....

But what, what is that? It's the Rogillio family flying in to spend a few days at WDW and then take a Disney cruise! They have their suit cases and mouse ears on are ready to eat, drink and party! Somebody get that man a cold beer, he looks thirsty! In fact, some 4,000 other people will be vacationing and DCL will be providing them 12,000 meals a day. Multiple pallets of water will be loaded onto the ship and many tons of food. Meanwhile shelters across the state are being filled with people who's home are flooded or destroyed. The National Guard is being deployed to try to get food and water and blankets to people.

We are booked on the 15 Sept cruise...which has not been cancelled....yet. So every few hours I check the track and the projection of where the storms will be...and the timing could not be worse.

Guess I'm feeling kinda of guilty as we will be vacationing right in the middle of a disaster.

Sorry for the vent. I feel a little better now. :-)

You shouldn't feel guilty. Harvey hit and the WDW vacationers - vacationed, Airplanes flew, and the Cruise Lines still cruised. Hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, and all types of disasters happen, however without the vacationers/tourists bringing in needed $$ to help the local economy, the rebuild will be all that much worse.
Disney did their Day of Giving and they, as company, gave for Harvey so it isn't like Disney didn't do anything; the optics IMHO is fine.
Could everyone do a little more,yes, maybe give a little to the relief fund, always count your blessings, and always be kind to others.

So by this time next week, hundreds of thousand of people in FL are likely going to homeless, without electricity, without water, without food, home destroyed, cars under water, FEMA and volunteers trying to help.....news and camera crews everywhere documenting the devastation.....

But what, what is that? It's the Rogillio family flying in to spend a few days at WDW and then take a Disney cruise! They have their suit cases and mouse ears on are ready to eat, drink and party! Somebody get that man a cold beer, he looks thirsty! In fact, some 4,000 other people will be vacationing and DCL will be providing them 12,000 meals a day. Multiple pallets of water will be loaded onto the ship and many tons of food. Meanwhile shelters across the state are being filled with people who's home are flooded or destroyed. The National Guard is being deployed to try to get food and water and blankets to people.

We are booked on the 15 Sept cruise...which has not been cancelled....yet. So every few hours I check the track and the projection of where the storms will be...and the timing could not be worse.

Guess I'm feeling kinda of guilty as we will be vacationing right in the middle of a disaster.

Would you feel better if the hurricane caused your cruise to be canceled or your flights to be canceled or delayed so you missed the ship?

We are on the Oct. 2 sailing and some of these same thoughts have started to creep in. Some of our minimal counterpoints to help ease our conscience include our spending supporting an economy in need as well as knowing Disney's history for supporting communities after disasters. Last year Disney gave over $400M to non-profits.

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise on 10/07 and I was thinking the same thing. Tortola took a hit. They'll be trying to rebuild and recover and here I come bouncing off a big beautiful cruise ship wanting a chair at the beach and a drink. I feel kind of conflicted about that.

If you really feel strongly, I'm sure there are some relief organizations that would take your family's help for a few hours while in port. It would be up to you to find them and contact them though...
Maybe DCL could offer a "service project" as an excursion in the next few weeks and months...

It wouldn't look any better when the same cruisers get off the boat at their eastern Caribbean cruise ports that were just leveled by the same storm. I am guessing Disney will in the immediate future come up with alternative ports to dock for eastern itineraries but for how long?

There's a balance between "need to rebuild" and "need to get back to work." Priorities on an island like Tortola will be food, shelter, medical care -- then getting the excursion boats out and the beaches cleaned up to bring tourists in to spend money. When the beaches are empty and the pleasure boats are docked, that's a lot of people not earning income.

Insurance cash helps rebuild, but doesn't necessarily buy groceries, KWIM?

Last edited:
Sadly someone's loss is another persons gain

A lot of people's businesses will be booming with the money involved to sort out the mess

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise on 10/07 and I was thinking the same thing. Tortola took a hit. They'll be trying to rebuild and recover and here I come bouncing off a big beautiful cruise ship wanting a chair at the beach and a drink. I feel kind of conflicted about that.

The place is in a right mess with another hurricane mybe about to hit, I can't see dcl going here anytime soon

Now you know how we felt, sailing to Nassau 4 days after hurricane Matthew. ;) It's hard to have fun when you know there are so many people struggling near you.

But, I heard that the more money the ports get right after hurricanes, the faster they recover. I'm hoping it is true.

The best thing you can do for Florida as an outsider is to spend money in their economy. Think of all the hourly employees who will not be earning over the next few weeks due to their employer being closed or damaged.

^^^^^ THIS

Many of the ports depend hugely on the income brought in by the cruise ships. Now more than ever they need the money from the tourist industry so that they can rebuild and put their lives back together.

You know what put those Mickey Ears on and wear them with pride. Make some one smile, show the locals that yes, times are tough but we carry on.

There is one FE group that talked about bringing care packages to the ports affected by the hurricanes. If everyone from the cruise ship brought blankets, clothes, canned goods, etc., that would make a huge difference. That would be incredible.

Hey - it wasn't a vent at all... just human nature, and i totally get where you are coming from. It's a hard Almost like survivor guilt. But it's also true, areas that survive on tourism need your money... so go and be generous and try to enjoy your vacation.

I agree with the posters saying that tourists heading to Florida and continuing to spend money in that state's economy is extremely helpful. (Same for the islands that you are able to visit that perhaps haven't been as hard-hit.)

I remember an interview with a tourism official from Gatlinburg after their devastating fires last year. She was saying that so many people were cancelling their cabin rentals for the late fall and holiday season. She said the WORST thing people could do was cancel their Gatlinburg trips, and that they should all continue to visit, rent cabins, see shows, and eat at restaurants because Gatlinburg relied on that income from tourists. I think Florida is the same way.

My take: They'll very soon need all the money they can get. Tip extra and purchase generously. That's what these entire islands rely on for income.

- barrey

My take: They'll very soon need all the money they can get. Tip extra and purchase generously. That's what these entire islands rely on for income.

- barrey
Help your fellow man. Hope that more people think this way, just a couple of bucks from many people will help rebuild faster

The positive responses on this thread are uplifting. I've been scrolling thru the Irma thread on the TPAS forums and have been feeling guilty about flying in Tuesday for park time before our 9/16 cruise. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and everyone can get back to business and vacations as usual

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter