"banked points" and potential cancellation ?

kweaver

DIS Veteran
Hi all -

I'm getting ready to make our SSR reservations for next year.
I've always heard that we should tell MS to "use banked points first" which makes sense. What happens if we need to cancel and the room was booked with "banked points"? I assume they would have to be used in 2005.

Our situation is this:
We have 65 2004 points left to bank into 2005.
Total available 2005 points: 265
2005 reservation:
STU - 60 points
2BR - 155 points

If my family decides not to come, and we cancel the studio, then I assume those points will have to be used by Jan 31st as we have a Feb use year. Or, can MS specifically use the banked points for the 2BR (which we'll definitely be using), completely resolving this issue?

MS can, at your requests, reallocate points in an existing ressie, so if you used the banked points for a studio, then have to cancel it...ask MS to now use those banked points fo your 2 bdrm. - But I would assume any allocation would need to be done at least 31 days prior to check-in, since the points would then go into a holding account.

With a February use year, 2004 points banked into 2005 would have to be used by 1/31/06.

I would ask MS to use those banked points for your 2 BR. If the studio is cancelled more than 30 days prior, using 2005 points, you could bank the 2005 points into 2006. When you call, book the 2 BR first.

Thanks guys! I'd read about reallocating points, but just wanted to make sure I handled it correctly from the beginning so that we don't have mass confusion in the Spring.

Of course, I knew about the 31 day rule for cancellations...but it always helps to be reminded! :D

My understanding about reallocating points had always been the same as ChuckS. A thread awhile back challenged that understanding and said the re-allocation could only be done if no one was on the waitlist for that type of room. The person even got an e-mail from MS saying the points could not just be moved.

So, to be on the safe side, I would have the banked points used for your room as that is the least likely to be cancelled.

Also a reminder that to use the points for a non-DVC trip, you have to make the reservation prior to November 30. You can travel to non-DVC destinations in the last 60 days of your Use Year but the reservations have to be made before the 60 days start.

and your banked points cannot not be used for a ressies before your use year, for example your use year is feb. you can make ressies now as long as your trip takes place after feb 1 2005.
not in jan. 2005, because you actually dont have your banked point released into your account again until feb. 1 2005.

and i second the motion to use the banked points on your ressies.

you cannot bank your same banked points again .

enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter