BC vs POR...I'm having the struggles here

Rikariko12

Earning My Ears
So, about 6 months ago we booked POR. My husband wanted a Value (we are saving for a new house) and I wanted a Deluxe. We stayed at Poly last May and it was AMAZING! The proximity to MK and Epcot made the whole trip so much better than our previous trips. I desperately want to stay at BC b/c of how close it is to HS and Epcot, and the pool is incredible! I can't get it out of my head...or heart, it seems to be set on it since we visited it in May to check it out. We also visited POR and it was ok. My husband compromised and said we could try a moderate. We are trying to stay at a different resort each time so CSR was out, even though we loved it. CBR is a no bc of construction, plus I've heard bad things about it. And POFQ is a hard no from me b/c the court jesters look like creepy clowns(I'll never do BW either b/c of the clown pool) So, by default it is POR. I'm just not excited and I feel so guilty about it. I feel like I'm being ungrateful b/c the hubby isn't happy when I suggest a split stay. So, I need one of two things.

1. Is there a way or a special where we could get BC at a cheaper rate? Some secret I'm missing?
2. If you have stayed at both help me with getting excited about POR with honest and sincere comparisons. Its ok if you prefer BC to POR.

Please don't judge me. I know that my struggle is a first world problem. I already feel like there is something wrong with me, so I don't need people to make me feel worse or scold me for not being grateful. I just need people who have been to both, tell me their honest opinions on the resorts. Not on their opinions of me. I've felt this way for months and feared being attacked on here. If you can't be nice, please scroll on by. Thank you.

Last edited:
You might be able to get a little better rate at YC.

If you are booking 11 months out, DVC rentals at BCV may be cheaper.

I’ve stayed at POR and CBR when I’m out of DVC points, so I would lean POR for this trip. POR is lovely in its own right (and has much better QS selection than BC) I rather enjoyed walking around POR.

I won’t lie, the Epcot resorts do feel nicer, to me (so don’t resort hop ;) ) When you go to BC on a future trip you will appreciate it even more!

I love BC but POR is a fantastic resort too. POR is one of my favorite resorts to walk around, the landscaping is great, and I love the differences between the mansions section and Alligator Bayou. We enjoy drinks and watching YeHaa Bob Jackson at The River Roost Lounge. The food court is much better at POR, I don't usually like QS meals, but the make your own pasta is delicious. The boat ride to DS is quite convenient. I think that if you can't get a better rate for BC (agree with a pp about checking YC too) and go into it with a positive attitude that you will enjoy the resort, it really is very nice!

Sorry, forgot to say we are staying at the beginning Of October. We are coming up on our 180 days. Thank you for your post. Good information in there.

Think of all the fun things you can do in the new house with all the money you save staying at POR. POR really is a lovely resort. It is very peaceful.

If that doesn't work, have your priced out Swan/Dolphin? They had some great rates last year when I was looking for October.

Or, would you be happy shortening uour stay to be able to stay at BC?

You could try seeing if you could get a travel agent special rate. That's what I did for POFQ and managed to get a standard room there for $5 more per night than what I would've paid for a standard room at POP.

Sorry, forgot to say we are staying at the beginning Of October. We are coming up on our 180 days. Thank you for your post. Good information in there.
The cheapest rate that we have gotten from a travel agent for the first week of October at the Beach Club was around $312 per night two years ago. The rate from the same travel agent for a standard room at POR for a little later in October last year was around $186 a night. That is a huge difference. We love the Beach Club. It is one of our favorite resorts and the one that we stay at most often. But we really like POR, too. It is a very nice resort with a good food court. The boat to Disney Springs is a nice benefit, and the main pool is nice, too. The big difference in my opinion is the transportation to the parks. Nothing beats the Beach Club when it comes to getting to the parks, since you can walk to two of them. But you can take a lot of taxis from POR and still save money over what you pay for the BC. It is really up to you to decide how much money you want to spend. You can get a very nice vacation from either resort. But if you plan to spend most of your time in the parks then I would go with the cheaper resort.

BC is our absolute favorite deluxe resort and that is where we have stayed the last 2 years. POR is my favorite moderate and was my favorite WDW resort until we stayed at BC lol. Both are great! POR has the better QS options, boat to Disney Springs, it is relaxing and quiet and the grounds are so beautiful. BC being so close to Epcot and DHS is a huge plus! Stormalong Bay really is something else... I spent every afternoon at the pool because it was just too hot not to and I had a ball!

You really can't go wrong with either one. We are going back to POR this year and I am super excited. I really missed the food court while staying at BC.

We stayed at POR (x2) and BC (x1). We won't stay at a Deluxe anymore without renting DVC. I don't find the difference between POR and BC enough to justify the cost at rack rate. BC is obviously better than POR. It has better transportation, has a great pool, bigger rooms and more food options. Some of those advantages dwindle if you do not take afternoon breaks (less transportation use), there are just two of you in the room and the pool would not get used that often.

I found the Bayou grounds at POR quite nice. If you plan on doing DS you can look at the transportation like this. POR gets a boat to DS and BC a boat to HS. Both then take a bus to the other location. The transportation advantage now dwindles to Epcot. The food court really is good at POR.

It sounds like you want to try every hotel. Eventually you will have to stay at POR. It seems like a perfect time to do it!

We have stayed at both and we loved the BC - but it definitely had downfalls compared to POR, for us. First of all- the general lack of quick service choices was really hard. We like to eat a quick breakfast before the parks and struggled to fill up at BC. We definitely don't have that issue at POR.
Another is based on our actual room. We LOVED the beautiful room but where it was located, we felt like we walked for a lifetime (slight exaggeration, but, you get the idea) to get back to our room or to get to the bus stop. On the flip side, while POR is expansive - we always try to request a room close to a bus stop and walk a LOT less which makes a big difference at the end of the night.
We loved the BC pool but we really don't use the pools that much on vacation. We also loved the proximity to Epcot and certainly took advantage of that a lot - but we don't find that's always enough to get us to swallow the bigger price tag.
Honestly, we love both resorts but are perfectly happy saving a few extra dollars for a bonus Mickey bar if it means staying at POR. If I were you I'd give it a chance and go in with an open mind.

Last edited:
How many are in your party?

If you liked CSR, then you'll love POR. In my opinion POR is by far the best Moderate. Wonderful lush grounds, not so spread out like CSR and CBR (you practically need a car to get around at those resorts!), and a comfy Disney feel.

However, if you are dead set on the BC area (which I understand totally), then I would look at renting a studio with DVC points. Price will be VERY similar to POR if you can find one. You can also check Boardwalk Villa studios with DVC points too.

Dan

October is a long way off, so maybe you'll feel differently but it does sound like you're not going to be happy unless you get to book BC. I understand that feeling. In my experience transportation to MK from BC isn't anything great and I think World Showcase in October will be chaotic due to F&W and all the drinking and crowds that go along with that. POR might be a nice retreat from the parks.
Anyway, if I were you and was feeling this way, I'd splurge on a split stay. First part at POR and second at BC. Then you can get on with being excited.

We've stayed at POR, BC and YC and out of the three we prefer YC. Being able to walk to Epcot is just awesome, and you can take the boat to DHS. POR is very nice too though and has a great pool, plus you can use the one at POFQ as well. You can also take a boat to Disney Springs from POR.

One good way we've found to reduce costs while trying out deluxe resorts, is to do a split stay. You could stay a few nights at POR, or even one of the values during the first part of your trip, and then move over to BC or YC for the remainder.

We have stayed at both and we loved the BC - but it definitely had downfalls compared to POR, for us. First of all- the general lack of quick service choices was really hard. We like to eat a quick breakfast before the parks and struggled to fill up at BC. We definitely don't have that issue at POR.
Another is based on our actual room. We LOVED the beautiful room but where it was located, we felt like we walked for a lifetime (slight exaggeration, but, you get the idea) to get back to our room or to get to the bus stop. On the flip side, while POR is expansive - we always try to request a room close to a bus stop and walk a LOT less which makes a big difference at the end of the night.
We loved the BC pool but we really don't use the pools that much on vacation. We also loved the proximity to Epcot and certainly took advantage of that a lot - but we don't find that's always enough to get us to swallow the bigger price tag.
Honestly, we love both resorts but are perfectly happy saving a few extra dollars for a bonus Mickey bar if it means staying at POR. If I were you I'd give it a chance and go in with an open mind.

We had the same issue with the walk to the bus. It was about twice as far at BC. I recall getting decent pastries for breakfast on the boardwalk if you don't mind the walk.

It sounds like it is a numbers game, so unfortunately it is tough to get deluxe rooms close to the mod rates. I wouldn't totally exclude BW -- if it is the location you are after. I hate creepy clowns and had a partial view from my room, but you get used to it. Ha Ha! Search around for discounts and offers -- are you doing the dining plan? Sometime the dining plan can end up costing you more. Look into paying out of pocket if that is a factor, because sometime you just want a couple apps drinks and dessert which is something you can't do on the dining plan.

If the numbers don't work out this time then make the best of POR - I hear many good things about that resort, then for your next trip definitely look at a DVC rental this is where you can get a deluxe room sometimes cheaper than a moderate. I don't think you mentioned when your trip is but you could contact davids dvc to see if there is any BC availability for your time frame and do the split stay. Split stays are super easy if you are just adults.

I've stayed at both and I much prefer BC to POR. Neither are my favorite, but I am in the minority of people who dislike POR.

Honestly I would rather value over moderate.

There is pros and cons to all the resorts, regardless of what category they are. We love everything about BC except the fact that the quick service place is the size of a postage stamp. We don't go out of our way to eat at a resort QS spot but sometimes we find ourselves tired and relaxing at the resort at a meal time and we feel EXTREMELY limited when that happens and we are staying at BC. Yes, you are within walking distance of several great options at Epcot but sometimes we just prefer to be able to grab something quickly.

I always try to make a point of actively enjoying any resort we stay at. We recently stayed at ASMu after staying at only deluxe resorts for our past several trips. Honestly, it took like 6 seconds to adjust and we had a great trip. You will have a great time at POR and will be happy you saved the money.

I've stayed at just about every resort on site with the exception of most of the values (have stayed at Pop and ASSp) WL, SS and POFQ. They all have their good and bad points. BC might be my least favorite Epcot resort but only because I don't like the fact that you aren't guaranteed a full balcony and it seems a little noisier than YC and BW. POR is a nice resort, I stayed on the mansion side in Magnolia Mansion. There is a bus stop right behind that section and the walk to the main building is short. I loved all the little quiet hidden spots to sit and just relax, I walk every morning and the walk around the resort early morning is beautiful. I'm not a fan of resort QS and only eat breakfast at them sometimes so the fact that BC doesn't have a huge one doesn't matter to me so that is a wash. My only complaint with POR was having to take a bus everywhere. The benefit of BC or any of the Epcot resorts is the walk to two parks. I agree with another poster in that you might check into the prices at Swan/Dolphin. They are Epcot resorts and tend to be almost the price of a moderate. I would be careful with DVC rentals, in most cases you have to pay up front and they are non-refundable. That is not a bad thing unless you aren't always sure your plans aren't going to change and you know 11 months in advance when you are going. I rarely book any longer than 2 months in advance of a trip and my plans can change 2 or 3 times before I actually go. They tend to have better openings on the larger rooms, if you just want a studio, they are a little harder to find. I think you would be happy with POR if you give it a chance. I stayed there during a split stay with a couple days there then moving to OKW, I actually wished I'd stayed at POR since OKW is nice but you still have to bus everywhere. Oddly enough, it was the one time I rented points and it was the only placed available during the week I wanted to go, granted I didn't book it until about 2 months before I went.

No judgements here! I felt the same way when we were planning our trip last fall.

I would suggest checking the website or calling to check on a regular basis. That’s how I found a last minute Polynesian room on Halloween week!

I also love French quarter!!! Yes, the jesters are kinda creepy but French quarter is MUCH smaller than riverside. We’ve always had a short walk to the main area regardless of our room location. If you’re going to go with port orleans I would look into the extras they offer and see if there’s something there that you can get excited about. (Carriage ride along the river, etc.) The boat directly to Disney Springs is one of my favorite features of these resorts!!!

We just got back from Port Orleans Riverside last week. We did eat dinner one night at the Beach Club resort too. Honestly, my wife is never impressed with what she sees at the deluxe resorts. They always seem so loud and crowded. I noticed at the Beach Club you seemed to have to walk through the lobby in your swimsuits to get to/from the pool. That would seem a little awkward to me, walking through a crowded lobby in your swimsuits.
Port Orleans is quiet, the grounds are beautiful, and it just gives my wife and I the impression of a less chaotic scene compared to what we've noticed at the deluxes. I will say the ability to be able to walk to Epcot from Beach Club would be awesome. The biggest downfall of Port Orleans is how spread out it is. Depending on what building you're in, it can be a ton of walking. Not fun after a long day at the parks! And the boat to Disney Springs is nice, but it's not like we go to Disney Springs a ton while on our trip. Usually only our first night there and last day before we leave do we hit up Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter