Becky & Jason's Fairy Tale wedding 9/3/11 on Long Island - *complete*

Is it bad that I feel this way about teaching!?? :lmao:

Becky- You are studying to have my dream job!! I've always wanted to be in library science, I love cataloging books and the smells of old books and libraries.... does that make me a weirdo? :confused3

I like the table picture frames!! I also agree that you could always just keep the candy buffet as your favors? But I love those frames! :)

I kinda feel the same way about teaching too! I am certified to teach, but like you I just don't think it's what I want to be doing. Hence why I went back to school for library science, which I think should be fun! I love organizing stuff so I relate with your love of cataloging books :thumbsup2 Next fall I have to take a whole class on cataloging!

ANDDD...

Look what I got in the mail today!!

P1040117.jpg

Rings

So I've been checking out some wedding rings online, and just started to really look for them. I went to Kohl's the other day and stopped by their jewelry section to see what they had. My engagement ring is white gold, so I want a white gold band, something small, but maybe with a few diamonds in it. Something like these:

P11189124b.jpg

L11300303e.jpg

So I found some like that at Kohl's and tried them on... and I just feel like nothing is going to "match" my engagement ring. The band on my ring is soooo thin, and it's not flat all the way around - it's hard to explain, but it's kinda got a point to it... anyway, all of the rings looked either too big or just awkward. But maybe I have to realize that I'm never going to find something that matches exactly? I actually thought it would be really easy to pick out a ring because I knew I wanted something simple, but now it's a bit harder than I thought. I was by myself in Kohl's, so I'm going to have to consult a few other people. I'm going home to visit my parents next weekend, so I may go looking with my mom to get her opinion. And if I still need help I'll bring DF, even though he doesn't really know or care much about jewelry... well, he'll still need to go with me to get his own ring!

I had the same problem. NOTHING matched my ring! I ended up having to get my band made by a jeweler in town. If you don't get anything too fancy, it's really not as expensive as you might think. I'd suggest going to a jeweler and pricing it out. You may be surprised :) I shopped around at different jewelers and got price quotes from a few different ones. I didn't pay anything more than I would have paid had I have just bought it outright :)

Rings

So I've been checking out some wedding rings online, and just started to really look for them. I went to Kohl's the other day and stopped by their jewelry section to see what they had. My engagement ring is white gold, so I want a white gold band, something small, but maybe with a few diamonds in it. Something like these:

P11189124b.jpg

L11300303e.jpg

So I found some like that at Kohl's and tried them on... and I just feel like nothing is going to "match" my engagement ring. The band on my ring is soooo thin, and it's not flat all the way around - it's hard to explain, but it's kinda got a point to it... anyway, all of the rings looked either too big or just awkward. But maybe I have to realize that I'm never going to find something that matches exactly? I actually thought it would be really easy to pick out a ring because I knew I wanted something simple, but now it's a bit harder than I thought. I was by myself in Kohl's, so I'm going to have to consult a few other people. I'm going home to visit my parents next weekend, so I may go looking with my mom to get her opinion. And if I still need help I'll bring DF, even though he doesn't really know or care much about jewelry... well, he'll still need to go with me to get his own ring!

What's your engagement ring look like, can you post a pic? I had a similar problem with mine as well, but I ended up finding something I like, we haven't ordered it yet, it doesn't match exactly to my engagement ring, but in a weird way I think it might work.

What's your engagement ring look like, can you post a pic? I had a similar problem with mine as well, but I ended up finding something I like, we haven't ordered it yet, it doesn't match exactly to my engagement ring, but in a weird way I think it might work.

Good point! I totally should have thought to do that. :headache: Okay, here are pics of my engagement ring:

P1030818-1.jpg

P1030821.jpg

P1040122.jpg

P1040121.jpg

I tried to take some from every angle. I'm not sure how well you can tell what the band looks like from these pictures, but hopefully you can sort of seeing how it doesn't lie completely flat. I think that's what's throwing off the look of the ring with any other ring.

I see what you mean about how it doesn't lay completely flat, have you thought about doing an enhancer instead of a band? Something like this where the ring would just fit neatly inside. With these they are a slight bit angled as well so the ring wouldn't sit awkwardly or anything.

bridal%20ring%20enhancers.jpg

I have seen rings like yours before I think it's called a knife edge ring where it's slanted and comes to a point here are some picks of knife edge wedding bands that I found, the bands all come up to a point like your solitaire does

250w_knife-2mm-wht.jpg

41TH4H3twNL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

I saw this one on amazon.com, they have a bunch there.

I would just run a google search for knife edge wedding bands and see what you find. Another thing you could do is match the center stone to the stones in the band that way they would match each other well even though the bands don't match like this

6342325_1.jpg

6343005_3.jpg

And.........in comes Creep kickline! :dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer: Awesome! We have to all wear these when meet up even though it will be long after our weddings :rotfl:

Yay Yay Yay, the buttons!!!!

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

YAY!!!! :dancer:

Where did DF get your ring? Is it possible the store had a set, and he just got one? I would agree I like the look of the enhancer! Or even like Kristi said maybe look into a custom ring, I have no idea about jewelry so I am kinda lost here!! :rolleyes1

Where did DF get your ring? Is it possible the store had a set, and he just got one? I would agree I like the look of the enhancer! Or even like Kristi said maybe look into a custom ring, I have no idea about jewelry so I am kinda lost here!! :rolleyes1

The ring was actually his Mom's, and I think it was purchased about 30 years ago so I doubt anyone knows where it came from!

But thanks for giving me some good options girls! I'll probably look around a bit more at stores, but if I don't find anything I could check out a custom ring. And Vicki, thanks for those pics and the info on what that type of ring is called! Knowing the name helps a lot :rotfl:

Hi,

I'm a bit out of place in this thread as a) I'm already married and b) I'm in England, lol, but despite those two minor details I am really enjoying your PJ. English and US weddings are so completely different, I doubt many of the ideas I had for my wedding will be of any use at all to you but (and I'm sorry for this reeeeeeeeally long post, lol) I thought I'd mention a couple on the off chance you think you might like to adapt it for yours, or conversely it might highlight that you don't want to do something. A couple of things I did, which I received positive comments for:-

We had small quotations or small verses about romance, love, etc that we printed on linen-finish paper, and then cut using those scissors that give you an edge that looks like its been torn (does that make sense?). We placed these at the tables and around the buffet table, so that while people were waiting it gave them something to read, and they all ended up swapping their papers, so it was an ice-breaker as well.

Candy wise, we had a candy called 'love hearts' on the tables, but the special wedding ones which have 'Just married' on.... I thought it would be so wonderful to have them sprinkled around the tables with the confetti (which it was, it looked amazing!) but hindsight taught me that it wasn't quite the great idea as people didn't really see the pale candy on the white tablecloth, put their glasses down and caught an edge of the candy thus tipping said drink over. Oops! One of our guests came over to me and said "oh I hope you don't mind but I've put the sweets in to little piles so people didn't spill any more drinks"..... :laughing:

P1000757-1.jpg
P1000843-1.jpg
(the writing looks really orange here, but as you can see in the other pic, it was actually pink on white)

You were saying about doing flowers yourself; I know these are table flowers and its actually your bouquets you're hoping to do but I would have thought the principle is the same. Although it wasn't me personally who did these, it was a friend of mine - she's not a florist or anything just a bit arty. We were able to move them from the daytime venue to the evening venue... I know these aren't in keeping with your theme, but I just wanted to show you what is possible even without a florist. The lilies definitely gave them some movement and shape.
IMG_1551-1.jpg
P1000763-1.jpg

We made our table plan ourselves, so people could look where they were sat on the way in to the room, rather than looking at every place card trying to find theirs...
Saraandthetableplan-1.jpg

And lastly, one photo we requested to have done involved helium balloons - the photographer gathered all our guests ready for a group photo, and we gave them each a balloon. On the count of 5, they were to let them go - and the photographer caught the moment in a burst shoot. He was able to amalgamate all the photos together, and produce us one photo in black and white but with the balloons still coloured. The effect was so amazing, I am so pleased we were able to do it. Here's a couple of pics (by someone at the venue) of us during the process. I can't upload the actual photo, as it isn't scanned in .
Guestsandballoons4-1.jpg
Guestsandballoons7-1.jpg

Hope you don't mind me adding to your wonderful PJ - hope you have the most wonderful wedding and honeymoon!! :yay:

Rachel

I tried to take some from every angle. I'm not sure how well you can tell what the band looks like from these pictures, but hopefully you can sort of seeing how it doesn't lie completely flat. I think that's what's throwing off the look of the ring with any other ring.

I had the same problem. I was going to get the round band with the diamonds and just have it sautered (sp?) together, but then I tried on the enhancers that had a small dip on each side and it worked perfectly. Here's a picture if it helps!

Ring--wedding.jpg
[/IMG]

Your ring is gorgeous! I am sorry that you have been having a hard time finding a band. But I would suggest just asking a jeweller about it. My engagement ring was not as difficult to match as yours was, but the jeweller suggested a wedding band that I never would have thought of that looked amazing with my engagement ring. Let us know what you find!

Hi,

I'm a bit out of place in this thread as a) I'm already married and b) I'm in England, lol, but despite those two minor details I am really enjoying your PJ. English and US weddings are so completely different, I doubt many of the ideas I had for my wedding will be of any use at all to you but (and I'm sorry for this reeeeeeeeally long post, lol) I thought I'd mention a couple on the off chance you think you might like to adapt it for yours, or conversely it might highlight that you don't want to do something. A couple of things I did, which I received positive comments for:-

We had small quotations or small verses about romance, love, etc that we printed on linen-finish paper, and then cut using those scissors that give you an edge that looks like its been torn (does that make sense?). We placed these at the tables and around the buffet table, so that while people were waiting it gave them something to read, and they all ended up swapping their papers, so it was an ice-breaker as well.

Candy wise, we had a candy called 'love hearts' on the tables, but the special wedding ones which have 'Just married' on.... I thought it would be so wonderful to have them sprinkled around the tables with the confetti (which it was, it looked amazing!) but hindsight taught me that it wasn't quite the great idea as people didn't really see the pale candy on the white tablecloth, put their glasses down and caught an edge of the candy thus tipping said drink over. Oops! One of our guests came over to me and said "oh I hope you don't mind but I've put the sweets in to little piles so people didn't spill any more drinks"..... :laughing:

P1000757-1.jpg
P1000843-1.jpg
(the writing looks really orange here, but as you can see in the other pic, it was actually pink on white)

You were saying about doing flowers yourself; I know these are table flowers and its actually your bouquets you're hoping to do but I would have thought the principle is the same. Although it wasn't me personally who did these, it was a friend of mine - she's not a florist or anything just a bit arty. We were able to move them from the daytime venue to the evening venue... I know these aren't in keeping with your theme, but I just wanted to show you what is possible even without a florist. The lilies definitely gave them some movement and shape.
IMG_1551-1.jpg
P1000763-1.jpg

We made our table plan ourselves, so people could look where they were sat on the way in to the room, rather than looking at every place card trying to find theirs...
Saraandthetableplan-1.jpg

And lastly, one photo we requested to have done involved helium balloons - the photographer gathered all our guests ready for a group photo, and we gave them each a balloon. On the count of 5, they were to let them go - and the photographer caught the moment in a burst shoot. He was able to amalgamate all the photos together, and produce us one photo in black and white but with the balloons still coloured. The effect was so amazing, I am so pleased we were able to do it. Here's a couple of pics (by someone at the venue) of us during the process. I can't upload the actual photo, as it isn't scanned in .
Guestsandballoons4-1.jpg
Guestsandballoons7-1.jpg

Hope you don't mind me adding to your wonderful PJ - hope you have the most wonderful wedding and honeymoon!! :yay:

Rachel

Thank you so for all of your suggestions! I really like the picture with the balloons, that is super cute! And your flowers looked gorgeous, it's so good to know that you can have great looking flower arrangements even when you don't hire a florist to do it. That gives me hope! Thanks for sharing, it is really helpful to get suggestions from other people and see what others have done.

I had the same problem. I was going to get the round band with the diamonds and just have it sautered (sp?) together, but then I tried on the enhancers that had a small dip on each side and it worked perfectly. Here's a picture if it helps!

Ring--wedding.jpg
[/IMG]
'

Your rings look gorgeous together! You're right, the enhancers work really well. I'll have to look into that.

Your ring is gorgeous! I am sorry that you have been having a hard time finding a band. But I would suggest just asking a jeweller about it. My engagement ring was not as difficult to match as yours was, but the jeweller suggested a wedding band that I never would have thought of that looked amazing with my engagement ring. Let us know what you find!

Yeah, I think I definitely need to talk with someone pretty knowledgeable. I don't know much about jewelry at all. But thanks to everyone on here I think I have a few options to look into, which is great! :goodvibes

Thank you

So I want to get a bit sappy here for a moment and say thank you to everyone who has been reading and supporting my PJ. Especially the Fab 5, but everyone! :grouphug: Things have been a bit tough because I moved three hours away from my family and all of my friends live far away, and even DF is an hour away. I feel pretty alone sometimes, and that can be hard, especially with wedding planning. Having all of your support here, and people that I can talk to about the planning, is an extremely big help! :goodvibes So thank you so much!

I'll be heading home tomorrow for a long weekend, and hopefully getting lots of wedding stuff done! I plan to meet with the DJ and do a tasting at the hall. I don't know how much time I will have on the computer, so I will update when I get back!

Awww you're very welcome!! We are always here for you!!! :grouphug:

Agreed!!! :) Long distance can be tough for sure!! I also moved away from home in October last year... they are only like 2 hours away... but it still sucks to have a horrible day and not go running "home" right away...

I have DF, but we are both just so crazy busy, so I hardly see him as is!! But it is nice to be in the same city as him again after the last 2 years of being apart!!

Hang in there girly!! You are never alone!! We are here!! :grouphug:

AND :dancer: Creepo of course... ;)

You are so welcome!!!! I enjoy reading your PJ and thanks so much for reading mine!!!

Can't wait to hear about your weekend!!

Thank you

So I want to get a bit sappy here for a moment and say thank you to everyone who has been reading and supporting my PJ. Especially the Fab 5, but everyone! :grouphug: Things have been a bit tough because I moved three hours away from my family and all of my friends live far away, and even DF is an hour away. I feel pretty alone sometimes, and that can be hard, especially with wedding planning. Having all of your support here, and people that I can talk to about the planning, is an extremely big help! :goodvibes So thank you so much!

I'll be heading home tomorrow for a long weekend, and hopefully getting lots of wedding stuff done! I plan to meet with the DJ and do a tasting at the hall. I don't know how much time I will have on the computer, so I will update when I get back!

Awwww. Of course we're always here for you!! :surfweb: :grouphug: :grouphug: <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter