Best credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderstruck88

Mouseketeer
I've read tons of threads and researched this issue, but it's kind of just left me overwhelmed. My husband and I aren't big credit card users (we have one that's very basic and make sure to occasionally use it just to keep up our high credit scores, but that's about it), but we're looking to sign up for something for our upcoming trip to Disney (May 2018!) and are figuring out what would be the best as far as rewards go. It seems like many of you here are pros on credit card rewards, so I was hoping for some recommendations and/or advice!

I'm particularly interested in the idea of getting a card that we could use to help pay for our airfare. I've seen Southwest's card recommended by several sites for Disney travel, but that wouldn't be a great option for us since Southwest doesn't offer direct flights from our local airport to Orlando - the only airlines that do are Spirit, Delta, and Frontier.

Apologies if this is a repetitive question here...I've been browsing credit card threads on here but am so unfamiliar with the lingo that I'm having a hard time with understanding it all.

I’d recommend looking at the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards. I have used UR to book Disney hotels. You can pretty much book any hotel through the chase travel portal. Also the UR points can be transferred to delta and a bunch of other travel partners or you can book any flight through the UR portal.

Chase has two travel cards on their Sapphire Line. You can currently only pick one. The Chase Sapphire Reserve comes with a $450 annual fee, but you get a $300 travel credit every year. You get TSA precheck or Global Entry. ($100 value) It also comes with 50,000 UR points after spending $4,000 in three months. Also the travel protection is great.

If the fee scares you, you can get the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The first year annual fee of $95 is waived the first year. It also comes with a 50,000 UR sign up bonus for a 4K spend.

If you are looking for cash back you can get the Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. both come with a bonus of $150 for spending $500 in three months. You can use these as UR to book through Chases travel portal or you can get the cash as a statement credit. These cards have no annual fee.

I am currently signing up for many different credit cards and hitting the minimum spend to get the bonus. When I get the bonus I move onto a new card.

I just started “travel hacking” about six months ago and have gotten flights for my SO and I to Orlando for two different trips. A flight for the both of us to Disneyland. I also got us enough points for four nights in a value resort at Disney. I still have 80k in southwest points left and 100k in UR to use.

Since you want to go to Disney I would start with Chase cards. Depending on your normal spending you could easily get the hotel and flights free by May 2018.

Ideally, Chase is the best program to have because on how many card earn their Ultimate Rewards program.

But it really depends on what your looking for, what is your highest spending category, etc.
for example,
Spend more than $6,000 in groceries, the Amex Blue Cash Card is for you
Spend a ton on amazon? Chase amazon card.

What are u gunning for? cashback? travel?
if you want just cash back, the 2% citi double cash rewards might be ideal.
Fidelity is also 2% cash back and u can deposit the 2% into a retirement account.(i think)

Airline tickets? well, now that gets a bit more confusing... problem is, which airlines fly out of the airport closest to you? United? American Airline? SouthWest?
For example, LAX is your city, Southwest, Delta are both great!
SFO? Def United!

Or do you stay at a particular hotel? SPG? Marriott? Hilton?

so many question! :]

I've read tons of threads and researched this issue, but it's kind of just left me overwhelmed. My husband and I aren't big credit card users (we have one that's very basic and make sure to occasionally use it just to keep up our high credit scores, but that's about it), but we're looking to sign up for something for our upcoming trip to Disney (May 2018!) and are figuring out what would be the best as far as rewards go. It seems like many of you here are pros on credit card rewards, so I was hoping for some recommendations and/or advice!

I'm particularly interested in the idea of getting a card that we could use to help pay for our airfare. I've seen Southwest's card recommended by several sites for Disney travel, but that wouldn't be a great option for us since Southwest doesn't offer direct flights from our local airport to Orlando - the only airlines that do are Spirit, Delta, and Frontier.

Apologies if this is a repetitive question here...I've been browsing credit card threads on here but am so unfamiliar with the lingo that I'm having a hard time with understanding it all.

To get a sign up bonus, you'll need to hit a spending threshold. It doesn't seem like you are too used to doing so. Here are some suggestions:

1. Do not get the Spirit card.

2. The Frontier card has only a $500 spending requirement for 40,000 miles and $69 annual fee. There's a no fee version, but don't get that one. Make your money work for you. https://www.flyfrontier.com/ways-to-save/mastercard/

3. The Delta American Express cards are offering a high sign up bonus right now. 60,000 points for the gold card, comes with $95 fee waived first year.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...ryTravelCards-DeltaGold-CardTitle-Bottom-Pos4

4. Personally, I prefer focusing on flexible points currency. As stated above the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Preferred are excellent for this. It sounds like the $95 preferred would be better for you. I also love my Amex Premiere Rewards Gold. $195 fee (waived first year), but $100 comes back in a travel credit. You can transfer Membership Rewards straight to Delta and the earn rate is better for the PRG versus the Delta cards. Comes with a typical signup bonus of 50,000 Membership Rewards points. The Barclay Arrival+ and the Capital One Venture are easy to redeem rewards cards. They earn 2x points on everything. Then you log in and erase the travel expense. The Barclay fee is $89 and the Cap One is $59.

5. If you just want to not spend much up front but want to get something back for your spending without learning program rules, get a Citi Doublecash or a Discover It Miles and call it a day.

6. Extra credit: if you want to stay offsite at Disney, say Wyndham Bonnet Creek, consider their card. Issued by Barclays.

To get a sign up bonus, you'll need to hit a spending threshold. It doesn't seem like you are too used to doing so. Here are some suggestions:

2. The Frontier card has only a $500 spending requirement for 40,000 miles and $69 annual fee. There's a no fee version, but don't get that one. Make your money work for you. https://www.flyfrontier.com/ways-to-save/mastercard/

3. The Delta American Express cards are offering a high sign up bonus right now. 60,000 points for the gold card, comes with $95 fee waived first year.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...ryTravelCards-DeltaGold-CardTitle-Bottom-Pos4

4. Personally, I prefer focusing on flexible points currency. As stated above the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Preferred are excellent for this. It sounds like the $95 preferred would be better for you. I also love my Amex Premiere Rewards Gold. $195 fee (waived first year), but $100 comes back in a travel credit. You can transfer Membership Rewards straight to Delta and the earn rate is better for the PRG versus the Delta cards. Comes with a typical signup bonus of 50,000 Membership Rewards points. The Barclay Arrival+ and the Capital One Venture are easy to redeem rewards cards. They earn 2x points on everything. Then you log in and erase the travel expense. The Barclay fee is $89 and the Cap One is $59.

5. If you just want to not spend much up front but want to get something back for your spending without learning program rules, get a Citi Doublecash or a Discover It Miles and call it a day.

6. Extra credit: if you want to stay offsite at Disney, say Wyndham Bonnet Creek, consider their card. Issued by Barclays.

You're right that I'm not really used to the spending threshold thing! I guess we'll just start putting stuff on the card that we'd usually use the debit card for, then pay it off at the end of the month? Or even go ahead and pay for our Disney tickets with the card. But thank you, this is very specific and helpful!

Last edited:
You're right that I'm not really used to the spending threshold thing! I guess we'll just start putting stuff on the card that we'd usually use the debit card for, then pay it off at the end of the month? Or even go ahead and pay for our Disney tickets with the card. But thank you, this is very specific and helpful!

Don't carry a balance but especially never on the points cards that have annual fees. The APR is sky high. If you need to purchase something pricey and need a couple months to pay, I think that Discover card comes with a year 0% APR. I believe the DoubleCash does as well. Hope this helps!

I agree with previous posters that there is a good way to think of credit card bonuses-1) co branded 2) general travel credits and 3) cash back.

Co branded cards include airline and hotels. I fly Delta primarily so have 2 co-branded American Express Delta cards (obtained for both miles and MQMs for status). I would and have recommended to others either the american express gold skymiles delta co brand which has a current bonus of 50,000 miles for $2000 spend in the first three months, with an additional 10, 000 miles with another $1,000 spend over six months as well as a $50 airline credit ($95 fee, waived the first year). There is a similar one for the american express skymiles platinum (not to be confused with amex platinum which is NOT co branded)...70,000 skymiles for $3000 spend (note-$195 annual fee off the bat). The nice thing about the skymiles platinum is that there is a companion pass after you pay your annual fee (sort of like an anniversary gift) which can be very useful if you travel with someone. DH and I are using it for our anniversary to MCO next year. There is also a Delta Skymiles Reserve which has a hefty fee ($450) but the companion certificate can be used for first class fare class A as well.

General Travel Credit Cards-Another option is to utilize American Express Membership Rewards via the American Express Platinum (NOT TO BE CONFUSED with Amex Skymiles Platinum) which allows flexible points which can be transferred to many airlines (including Delta) and hotels. There is also the American Express Everyday and Everday Preferred which offer membership rewards earnings. The Everyday has no annual fee, whereas the Everday Preferred has a $95 annual fee. If you spend a lot on groceries the Everyday Preferred is a possible good fit as mentioned by a previous poster.

Another favorite on these boards are the Chase Ultimate Rewards which can be obtained via either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve- I believe the current offers are 50,000 Ultimate Rewards for either after a $4000 spend in the first 3 months. The Preferred (aka CSP) has a waived in the first year $95 fee whereas the Reserve (aka CSR) has a higher fee (not waived) of $450 BUT more benefits and a $300 travel credit.

Cash Back-good options include Citi Double Cash Card (1% on everything with another !% after the bill is paid. Discover It has 1% plus 5% back on rotating quarterly categories which they match after your first year (so say, this month-Dec 5% back on a max of $1500 at Amazon and Target; spend $1500 earn back $75 then at the end of your year having the card, another $75). No annual fee for this card. Chase has a couple-the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited which offer cash back without annual fees, as well. American Express has a no fee Blue Cash and Blue Cash Preferred ($95 annual fee). The American Express Blue Cash Preferred is another good card if you spend a lot on groceries-6% back on up to $6,000.

There are other cards such as the Barclay Arrival Plus, Citi Prestige and Premier, etc but this is getting pretty long :) Please feel free to post questions on the board for specific cards!

So here's how I would break it down:

What kind of card(s) do I want?
Why? (Free hotel/airfare/cash)?
How much am I willing to pay in annual fees?
Can I meet my minimum spend?

Then I would familiarize myself with the different issuers rules-for instance Chase has led the way with the 5/24. Many of its popular cards you cannot obtain if you have opened NEW credit card accounts (5) in the past 24 months. There are some exceptions with some co-branded cards.

I would also see if your significant other/spouse is willing to play the game too. Double the points!

Really familiarize yourself with the value of the different points TO YOU. DH and I both obtained the 100,000 Chase Sapphire Reserve bonuses only to realize they aren't the optimal currency for us. That said, I did use them all :)

Finally, if you're accustomed to paying with debit card, this will be important to pay off your credit card ON TIME or there is no benefit to this hobby.
Sometimes you can get pretty creative (For instance, my utilities have been paid off for the year by putting them on a credit card for minimum spend. Others are able to pay large vet bills, student loans off, etc). There are many nice people here on the boards who can give you suggestions!

Hope this helps a bit :)

I find most of the credit card deals too confusing. I just got a credit card that gives you 2% cash back on purchases. Someone already mentioned the Citi card. I have a credit card from Fidelity.

If you're just starting to look at using reward credit cards, I'd just sign up for the one with the highest cash bonus (for the spending threshold you can reasonably reach in 90 days) + lowest annual fee + highest cash back.

The easiest one would be the Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU)with $150 back on $500 spend in 90 days. No annual fee (AF). 1.5% everywhere so this is very simple.

I can't think of a 2% no AF cash back card that comes with a signup bonus currently. $150/.02 = $7,500 that you'd have to spend on a 2% cash back card to earn $150. If you spent $7,500 on the CFU you would receive $262.50 ($112.50 + $150) cash back vs. only $150 with a 2% card. You'd have to reach $30,000 spend on the 2% card (with no signup bonus) to break even with the CFU (with signup bonus).

If you can reach $3000 or $4000 spend within 90 days and are ok with paying an annual fee then there's more options that open up, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve which are terrific. I have many different credit cards from many different banks and Chase has been the most lucrative for me.

I am currently signing up for many different credit cards and hitting the minimum spend to get the bonus. When I get the bonus I move onto a new card.

^^^This is how most people are making credit cards pay for their vacations.^^^ However, you have to be organized, pay off the entire bill each month, and not be planning on getting a big loan (house, car) anytime soon.

I just received the Sapphire Chase card in hopes of booking Disney hotels. I went to the site and plugged in a few dates and no moderate resorts came up. I called in and was told that they have selected inventory. I even tried into late next year and only found AOA available. Can someone with more experience here guide me? I'm disappointed that this card isn't as flexible as I had researched. Sure I can use it at many of hotels but was hoping to save at Disney too.

Don't carry a balance but especially never on the points cards that have annual fees. The APR is sky high. If you need to purchase something pricey and need a couple months to pay, I think that Discover card comes with a year 0% APR. I believe the DoubleCash does as well. Hope this helps!

Man, I am out of touch with credit cards. Didn't know any still charged annual fees!

All the good ones do!
Which ones?
I know my son and and daughter in law pay for a Southwest card, yet all the offers I get in the mail from Southwest say "no annual fee". Wonder if credit history plays a role or if they do a bait and switch and start charging in later years once they have you hooked?

Which ones?
I know my son and and daughter in law pay for a Southwest card, yet all the offers I get in the mail from Southwest say "no annual fee". Wonder if credit history plays a role or if they do a bait and switch and start charging in later years once they have you hooked?
First year fee is usually free.

Another vote for the Citi Double Cash card, 2% cash back that you can use for anything. The key to any card it to not run a balance on it so you end up paying an interest charge since that wipes out any reward.

I just received the Sapphire Chase card in hopes of booking Disney hotels. I went to the site and plugged in a few dates and no moderate resorts came up. I called in and was told that they have selected inventory. I even tried into late next year and only found AOA available. Can someone with more experience here guide me? I'm disappointed that this card isn't as flexible as I had researched. Sure I can use it at many of hotels but was hoping to save at Disney too.
Did you check the Swan and Dolphin? I know people who have booked those through the Chase Travel Portal.

Which ones?

I haven't seen a free SW card advertised.
However, for the fee, each year they give you points. The points are pretty much the equivalent value of the fee, either $69 or $99 depending on which card you get.

I haven't seen a free SW card advertised.
However, for the fee, each year they give you points. The points are pretty much the equivalent value of the fee, either $69 or $99 depending on which card you get.
Seems like they send me that offer every 2 or 3 months. I'll have to read the fine print next time.

Their allocation my be redeemed by other users. It's not free for all on availability. Being that it's Disney, I'm sure what is good is snapped up fast.

Don't get the Wyndham card. Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter