• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best resorts for transportation?

Carlymouse

Mouseketeer
So, I'm planning in advance for a future Disney trip (no specific date yet), and was wondering what people's experience is with the transportation from different resorts.

Of course, I know that with some of the resorts right on the monorail there is a huge advantage. However, I hear occasional horror stories about waits from all different locations including the monorail (yes, I'm sure most of these are due to unusually busy days).

What have your experiences been with resorts with the easiest transportation to various parks vs. the worst?

Bay Lake Tower (and the CR) are the absolute easiest for "transportation" to the MK since you can walk there and back. Monorail breakdowns and bus or boat delays are a non-issue. (You can also walk to the bus hub for easy access to other Disney resorts for ADRs and such.)

But the buses and boats will vary considerably. I have had one issue with buses (at AKL) and have had great experiences with the buses at OKW but bus delays can happen anywhere.

Can't beat the ability to walk back to BC/BW from HS/Epcot.

Poly is nice too, boat or monorail to MK. Quick walk to TTC for a single monorail to Epcot, too.

The Epcot resorts would be the best bet for transportation since you can walk to 2 of the parks and have a bus to AK and MK. You also centrally located so the ride to MK and AK is roughly 10-15 minutes each. I prefer to limit time on transportation so I enjoy being able to walk to Epcot and DHS.

The Epcot resorts would be the best bet for transportation since you can walk to 2 of the parks and have a bus to AK and MK. You also centrally located so the ride to MK and AK is roughly 10-15 minutes each. I prefer to limit time on transportation so I enjoy being able to walk to Epcot and DHS.

Yeah, that is why I wanted to put this question out there. I don't think transportation would make or break a resort decision- there's many I'd like to try- but I would certainly consider it especially while my daughter is young.

I haven't stayed in any moderates, but if you go deluxe, I love the Polynesian -- on the monorail for the MK, right next to the TTC for easy access to Epcot, and a centrally located single bus stop for everything else -- and the theming is amazing! On the value end, Pop Century and Art of Animation each have single location bus stops, and neither shares buses with any other resort (unlike the All Star resorts). Have fun choosing!

Yeah, that is why I wanted to put this question out there. I don't think transportation would make or break a resort decision- there's many I'd like to try- but I would certainly consider it especially while my daughter is young.
The ability to walk back to your resort when you want with a young child is great. That is the main reason my parents always choose the BC. When you wanted to leave you can just head out and back to the room and not have to wait on a bus. Also, the Epcot resorts do not share buses with each other. The YC/BC share, but they are essentially the same resort. The BW has its own bus for AK and MK. I don't think you would go wrong if you decided to stay at an Epcot resort. While your daughter is younger, I would pick either the YC/BC so she could enjoy the pool if she likes to swim.

I think it really depends on which parks you will focus more of your time. I think about our park days first and then choose a resort from there. We don't visit MK as much as when my son was younger and typically spend more time in EP, so for the majority of our trips, we stay at an EP resort (typically whichever is cheapest). When my son was younger, we would stay on the monorail. In terms of convenience, CR is great for MK as you can walk back and forth to MK, but using the monorail there (if you have a stroller or scooter) is kind of a pain because you have to use an elevator to get to the monorail platform and there is only one, small elevator for those who need it. Poly is probably the best in overall transportation from an MK resort as you can use the monorail to MK and walk to TTC to jump on the EP monorail. In terms of transportation, GF comes in third, IMHO because it's bus, boat or monorail only. I really like having a walking option at a resort. If budget is a concern and a monorail or EP deluxe is out of the question, WL is a great alternative. It's a gorgeous resort and the boat ride to MK is lovely. You can even boat to CR and walk from there if you are so inclined.

Personally, I would calculate how many days you will be in which parks and choose from there. If more days in MK - choose a MK resort (and put WL in that equation). If you will spend more days in EP/DHS, consider an EP resort. AK is kind of a wash as you'll have to bus there from all resorts. Certainly AKL is closest to AK, but I would only recommend that if you are spending the majority of your days at AK which typically people don't seem to do.

If you are spending a week or more ( I wouldn't recommend it for less), you could also consider a MK/EP split stay to make transportation to the parks even easier.

So, I'm planning in advance for a future Disney trip (no specific date yet), and was wondering what people's experience is with the transportation from different resorts.

Of course, I know that with some of the resorts right on the monorail there is a huge advantage. However, I hear occasional horror stories about waits from all different locations including the monorail (yes, I'm sure most of these are due to unusually busy days).

What have your experiences been with resorts with the easiest transportation to various parks vs. the worst?

We've stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, Poly & GF and out of those resorts, we have found CBR and WL to be the absolute best, with BC being the absolute worst for bus/boat transportation. CBR has a lot of internal stops, but since the resort is centrally located, it only takes about 10 minutes to get anywhere. We also love the transportation at WL as we've never had a problem with long waits/crowded buses or long rides anywhere. The boat is also nice for going to MK or the CR.

As a family that does all the parks during our stays, without coming back to the resort during the day except on very rare occasions, we find AoA to be located in a central location with rapid access to all the parks. The longest ride is probably to MK or AK, around 15 min each, HS and Epcot clocking in at around 10 min. There are not a lot of street lights on the different routes, so you are rarely stuck without moving.

We've stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, Poly & GF and out of those resorts, we have found CBR and WL to be the absolute best, with BC being the absolute worst for bus/boat transportation. CBR has a lot of internal stops, but since the resort is centrally located, it only takes about 10 minutes to get anywhere. We also love the transportation at WL as we've never had a problem with long waits/crowded buses or long rides anywhere. The boat is also nice for going to MK or the CR.

I am loving all these ideas. Having not been to Disney in over 20 yrs, there are so many new resorts to explore.

As a family that does all the parks during our stays, without coming back to the resort during the day except on very rare occasions, we find AoA to be located in a central location with rapid access to all the parks. The longest ride is probably to MK or AK, around 15 min each, HS and Epcot clocking in at around 10 min. There are not a lot of street lights on the different routes, so you are rarely stuck without moving.

I've thought a lot about AoA, too, based on age of DD and depending on what our budget ends up looking like (or if we do one of their suites for a larger party), so this is nice to hear.

We have had great luck with the transportation at all of the MK resorts. The only Epcot resort we have stayed in was YC and it was great to be able to walk or take the boat to the 2 parks and for the buses it is the first stop between it and BC and worked out fine getting to AK and MK.

We've stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, Poly & GF and out of those resorts, we have found CBR and WL to be the absolute best
For me, CBR was the worst transportation I've ever experienced. The busing is the reason I won't return, even though I enjoyed the resort.

I've had largely excellent busing at CSR (over multiple trips). It is centrally located and the buses are rarely crowded.

I feel like we have had transportation issues at most of the resorts I have stayed at. We love the walk from Contemporary to MK, but our bus waits during our last trip were remarkably bad, and very frustrating. I like YC and BC for the walking, and while we have had some bus issues they haven't been terrible. Best all around lately for us has been Wilderness Lodge, but that may be due to the construction and limited capacity, we havent been back (yet) since Copper Creek opened. Staying there again december so we will see. The minnie van was a game-changer for our family. Unfortunately we couldnt always get when we needed it (like during that hour plus long wait one morning for a darn AK bus from Contemporary).

I would have to say Pop, for transportation. That's where I've had the best luck with busses.

I haven't stayed in any moderates, but if you go deluxe, I love the Polynesian -- on the monorail for the MK, right next to the TTC for easy access to Epcot, and a centrally located single bus stop for everything else -- and the theming is amazing! On the value end, Pop Century and Art of Animation each have single location bus stops, and neither shares buses with any other resort (unlike the All Star resorts). Have fun choosing!

Polynesian Village is one of my dream resorts. :goodvibes I stayed at All Star Sports for my first trip to WDW this past June. The bus rides to Blizzard Beach water park were really the only times the bus was shared with the All Star Resorts,and it wasn't bad at all. The resorts are so close to each other. It's probably no different than the moderate and deluxe resorts where the bus has multiple stops throughout the resort(s). I was there for two weeks and we shared a bus to Magic Kingdom ONE time. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter