"Best Taste-Drink by this Date"

disneyfanatic60

DIS Veteran
A very stupid question for everyone so I will apologize upfront.

My son purchased a case of Pepsi which has a "Drink by this date for best taste" of May 24, 2005. Would you toss it? Would you assume it's any good? I hate to toss the entire case. Does anyone know?

Did he buy it just recently? A grocery store like Weg's would probably just exchange it out for you. If he bought it at a beverage place, they would probably do the same. But May 24 was just a few weeks ago and the taste is proabably going to be fine.

I have had "bad" soda--it tasted rancid and made me feel very ill. I don't drink soda any longer...but who would've thought they had a shelf life. I tasted what happened in the pre-expiration date days. It is NASTY. However--the bottles had to be around a year or more old--not weeks....I wonder how your store got such an early expiring batch.

Taste one--if it is fine...then so be it. If it tastes horrible--I'd assume the whole batch is and toss it.

Expired soda taste very nasty. Like the above poster said it is good for quite awhile so it is pretty old by the time it expires. I would bring it back to where you bought and exchange it if possible. Or, I hate to say it but I would dump it.

I should clarify. My DS-21 buys cases of pop for himself and stores them in his bedroom in the basement. Of course, everytime he bought a new case, you know where it went on the pile--on top!!! Thus, this lonely case may have been in his room for a few month's or so. I truly don't know myself!

disneyfanatic60 said:
I should clarify. My DS-21 buys cases of pop for himself and stores them in his bedroom in the basement. Of course, everytime he bought a new case, you know where it went on the pile--on top!!! Thus, this lonely case may have been in his room for a few month's or so. I truly don't know myself!

Then let him expiriment...and then teach him about FIFO ;)

(FIFO=first in, first out).

My DH used to work for Pepsi, and we got to keep all the ones that were outdated because they just throw them out. We would drink all the ones that were sometimes up to 2 months old without ever feeling ill. Just have him drink one, if it tastes bad, then toss it. One sip is not going to kill him. :wave:

Funny how much people allow themselves to be influenced by the marketing department. It has only been in the past couple of years that soda even had a date, and it is still just the major brands. We keep cases of soda in our garage for ages sometimes if we catch a really good sale and stock up. We've never noticed a difference whether the soda was new, a week old or a couple of months old.

I do agree with Lisa loves Pooh, though. Soda will eventually go bad but it takes a long time, not a few weeks or months. And if it has been stored in a cool place, like the refrigerator, it lasts even longer.

So I'd ignore that May expiration date. JMHO.

It is probably still good.

New Question...

Who knew soda had a shelf life? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter