Beware of your film

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
I wanted to let others know about the problem I experienced
with my film/camera on my recent Magic cruise. I requested hand inspection of my film/camera at the airport and at the Port Canaveral port. Each of these times my request was granted without a problem. However, when I returned to the ship at Key West and requested a hand inspection I ran into significant resistance. After the attendant agreed and I placed my film and camera in the plastic bin he proceeded to put it through the x-ray machine! I protested and spoke with the head of security. He finally agreed to allow hand inspection at subsequent ports. I checked with Guest Services the next morning and they did not know the policy for film going through the x-ray. After that day I had to tell the attendants to contact the head of security in order to have my film/camera hand inspected.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Anyone used lead bags for their film on the cruise?

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and go digital!

I have never had a problem with my film going through the X-Ray machines. I have put it through and my pictures have always come out. I did have a different problem at the airport though. With the new technology that they use to X-Ray CHECKED BAGGAGE - any exposed film (the pictures have already been taken) will be ruined and the photos will not come out. If the film has not been used yet, it will be fine. From now on I am keeping all my film and cameras with me in my carry on. The airports(Boston's Logan and MCO) assured me that it would be fine as long as it is not a high speed (1000 speed or higher). I have no problem with the new security measures - they are there to protect us, but they need to post signs if it is possible for your valued vacations pics to be ruined by the new machines!

What is the difference between film that has had pictures taken with it and new unused film? I would think that the new baggage X-Ray machines would "fry" the film regardless of used or unused!

All the latest recommendations say to have all film (used and new) in your carryon.. as the new xrays for checked bags will ruin them. We have been putting all our film in the carry on since then and never han an issue with pictures being ruined.

Definitely keep all of the film with you! The xrays for checked bags will DESTROY the film. And trying to protect it with the lead bag in checked luggage won't help - it merely causes the xray intensity to crank up.

I put my film in lead bags in my camera bag that I carry on. I request hand check. A couple of times it has been denied with the if it isn't high speed line (well some of mine is 1600 or higher) and as soon as those carryon xrays hit the lead bags it gets flagged for hand inspection anyway! :rolleyes: They couldn't just believe me in the first place?

On DCL I haven't requested hand inspection before but did have a couple rolls fog after the last trip indicating it had been hit with stronger xray that is "safe". So on this trip I will have one of the lead bags with me in my backpack and the film will go through in that. They can decide if they need to hand inspect.

One other thing to keep in mind is how fast you go through a roll of film. Generally when being told exposure to the carry on xray is ok it is based on a SINGLE exposure to it. Multiples will do damage to any speed.

Deb

We were also concerned this past April with the x-ray machines at the airport and DCL. We were told that as long as we didn't have high speed film 800 or better we would be fine. We used 200 speed film and went through the machines at each location and had no problem when we had are film developed.

We brought about 25 rolls of film on our Dec 2002 land and cruise package (DW scrapbooks) and we were told by both our air carrier (ata) and DCL that 800 speed and above WILL be danaged by non-carry-on xrays.....but carry-on x-rays will not harn them....ours were fine.

Be aware that Fuji and newer Kodak disposable underwater cameras contains 800 speed film.

I always requested hand inspection to avoid the X-rays. I was always given a hastle, but my insistance for hand inspection always won out.

The Fuji disposable underwater camera even has "Do not X-ray" printed on the camera.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

I picked up my underwaters earlier this week and noticed the same thing - it says do not xray. I know what the "official" TSA word is that up to 5 times is ok, etc. But it doesn't take long reading any of the photography magazines to get the word loud and clear that any x-ray exposure has the potential to damage film.

Deb

Our underwaters were fine. Airport, ship boarding, ship boarding after shore excursion, airport again for the flight home. All carry-on.

Only you BD! Only you! :p :p

But thanks. We've been moving offices all day and I still have a 4 hour class to teach tonight. That laugh may just be what I needed to get through!

Deb

Land's End Traveler catalog or that section of their web site has some nice ones in several sizes.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter