"bird's nest" recipe

ScrappinGran

DIS Veteran
I once had a recipe that made little nests out of (I think) cornflakes, marshmallows or marshmallow creme (like Fluff) and green food coloring. Anyone know what I am talking about? I need it to be microwave friendly. We are doing a week long leeson on birds in my Pre-K classroom, and I would like the kids to help make these, then pick out some jelly beans for their "bird eggs". Any help is appreciated.:)

There are a lot of recipes on the net for this.

Edible Bird's Nest
by Amanda Formaro
ediblebirdsnest3.jpg

This fun craft is not only adorable when done, but it's tasty too! Sit the kids down to make this fun spring project. Be sure to make extras for friends and family.

You will need:

Chow mien noodles
chocolate chips or brick chocolate
Jelly beans
candy coated chocolate eggs
marshmallow chicks
peanut butter
wax paper
paper plates (colored plates optional)

Directions:

Place squares of wax paper onto to individual plates. Put chow mien noodles in a large bowl. If using brick chocolate, break into pieces. Melt chocolate chips or pieces in the microwave, or over low heat on stove, just until melted. Pour melted chocolate over chow mien noodles, mix together to coat.

Place mounds of chocolate/chow mien mixture onto several plates (on top of waxed paper). Have children form the mixtures into nests. Be sure the chocolate has cooled, but don't wait too long or it will harden!

Using peanut butter as an adhesive, "glue" down the jelly beans and candy coated chocolate eggs inside the nest cavity. "Glue" marshmallow chick on the edge of or inside of the nest.

These make fun gifts from kids to their friends, teacher and family members. You can also make these nests at birthday parties as a fun and edible take home party favor.

Here's a link for a couple others:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,birds_nest,FF.html

Oh yum, Dyan! I used to love those chocolate & chow mein noodles when I was a kid. LOL

If you'd like those to be green, you could use white chocolate & green food coloring.

As for the cornflakes, I'm not sure I've seen them made that way. I have, however, seen them with coconut. I'm not sure that coconut would be as popular with young children. I know quite a few who don't like it. Maybe just use cornflakes with the Rice Kirspies Treats recipe - or even the rice. But the chow mein noodles would look more like twigs...I think that's the reason people usually use the coconut, you know?

Lewdyan1 and Piratesmate,thank you both for responding. I am looking for the one with corn flakes and marshmallow...can't use peanut butter due to food allergies.I like the idea of going with the rice krispie treat recipe, just substituting cornflakes.Thanks for your help!

Lewdyan1 and Piratesmate,thank you both for responding. I am looking for the one with corn flakes and marshmallow...can't use peanut butter due to food allergies.I like the idea of going with the rice krispie treat recipe, just substituting cornflakes.Thanks for your help!

If you follow the link in my last post, recipe #2 doesn't use peanut better. There are pages of bird nest recipes listed there!:)

I think I've seen a recipe that made little wreaths with cornflakes- I'll look for that- it would be the same kind of thing

I make nests using rice crispy recipe. I use the microwave to make mine! Then I put the rice crispy mix into muffin tins, push it down and let it set. Then I put a little frosting inside, add a peep and a couple egg m&m's. The kids AND adults eat it up!!! Love it! Simple and cute!

:flower3: Ingredients
4 cups crunchy chow mein noodles
1/4 cup butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
1(8ounce)package candy coated chocolate eggs
6 marshmallow peeps
cooking spray
Directions
1Use a 6 or 12 cup muffin tin depending on desired size of nests. We made only 6 nest with this recipe so we could overlap the top and give an "edge" for our bird to sit on.
2Heat butter and marshmallows over medium heat.
3Stir till melted.
4Add noodles and stir till completely coated.
5Spray muffin tin then hands with cooking spray.
6Place mixture into muffin cups and shape with hands to form "nests".
7Refrigerate approximately 30 minutes later, gently remove nests from muffin tin and perch a Peep on the side. It helps if the nest is still a bit sticky, this will "glue" the peep on.

Thank you all for responding! I did make the bird's nest using the corn flakes instead of rice krispies...modifying the traditional rice krispie treat recipe. I added the green food coloring to the mix. Let the kids stir and mash, then when cool enough to touch they made their own nest. We added jelly beans for eggs. It was very messy, sticky and fun! Thanks everyone!

I was just going to suggest crumbled Shredded Wheat! Glad they had fun:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter