Black Pearl in San Pedro Harbor

minnietoo

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone - I'm new here (just registered today) - have been watching for a few days. I heard the Black Pearl was in the San Pedro Harbor so we went last night and saw it. You get a clear view right from Cabrillo Beach - you can get a view through the masts from the Marina - you cannot get near the ship unless you take the Harbor Cruise from Ports O Call - or have a boat.

Pretty nice - and I'm not even a Pirates fan!

I can't figure out how to post the picture - but will if someone can help me out. pirate:

I wanted to go see her last Tuesday. The traffic was so bad I decided against it. We are hoping to go on Thursday if the Black Pearl is still there.

If you want to send me a link to where your photos are stored, I will be happy to post for you. pirate:

So if I remember right the Flying Dutchman is anchored at Castaway Cay and now the Black Pearl is in San Pedro? Impressive - that can't be cheap to move them around [since I would assume they have no internal engines] and build unless they are using the ships right out of the movie. Would be interesting to see photos when you can post them...

After reading this thread, I decided to go check out the Black Pearl. My son came with me and we went for a nice drive to San Pedro and around the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Here is one pic of the Black Pearl.

11450IMG_2336a-med.jpg

More pics can be found on this thread: Pics of the Black Pearl on the Southern California DIS Board

Hmmm...I wonder if it'll be there when we're in California... (August 19)...any info on that?

After watching the dvd features for the first movie, I was under the impression that the Black Pearl was a shell of a ship built on barges. Did they build a more extensive ship for the second movie?

thanks for your help tink and foxes - my files were too big and I didn't have the patience to figure it out. I appreciate your willingness to help me.

Mary Jo has posted a picture that would be the same as what I had - so now I don't have to try to get mine up. THank Mary Jo. pirate:

Thanks for the post. Would love to go there and take some pics. I have a 1200mm lens that may be able to reach out to the ship. I will be there from Aug 14-23rd.

Jack pirate:

OH that would be great to see, but we won't be in So Cal until next year. :guilty: so sad! I wonder how long they plan on keeping the ships in place? (The Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl.)

Mary Jo said:
After reading this thread, I decided to go check out the Black Pearl. My son came with me and we went for a nice drive to San Pedro and around the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Here is one pic of the Black Pearl.

11450IMG_2336a-med.jpg

More pics can be found on this thread: Pics of the Black Pearl on the Southern California DIS Board

Very Cool Picture Mary Jo. I had no idea the Black Pearl is here in CA. Did you happen to find out how long it will be there? And from that picture you took, was that the closest you get to see it in person?

Hi Gina, :wave:

There really wasn't anyone we could ask to take pics. This is the closest we got where we could get a shot of her in the water. Parking was $7, even to drive through, but the gal working the booth said we could quickly go, take a shot, & then leave (the main entrance to Cabrillo Beach was going to make me pay regardless, so I didn't take a pic from the beach itself, but from the cliffs above).

11450IMG_2352-med.JPG

This is the closest we got to the ship itself. I didn't realize how big the marina was until we started trying to figure out where the ship was docked. This was near 22 Street Landing, where a bunch of fishing boats take off. There was another couple of 'no trespassing' signs, so we couldn't go any closer, and Nick took this pic for me.

11450IMG_2344.JPG

I have more pics on the Southern California board: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=13873804#post13873804

You can get closer on the Spirit Cruises 1-Hour Harbor Tour that leaves from Ports o' Call. It's $12 and they go by very slowly, so you can get lots of photos. I did it Saturday afternoon and also visited Cabrillo Beach. Gots lots of great shots!

Shots? Of course! Just didn't have time to post them yesterday. This will take a couple of posts...

The Pearl at her dock:
Pearl1.jpg

Her bow:
Pearl6.jpg

Her stern:
Pearl5.jpg

Fore:
Pearl4.jpg

More in the next post...

Aft:
Pearl3.jpg

Her helm:
Pearl2.jpg

Her quarterdeck:
Pearl8.jpg

And, finally, one of those "Only in L.A." shots, from Cabrillo Beach:
Pearl7.jpg

Anyone know how long it will be in San Pedor harbor? We'll be down there Aug 20-27. Dh and ds would love to take the harbor cruise to get a glimpse of it.

DARN! I worked in Long Beach for 4+ years, and just recently started a new job closer to home...I would have TOTALLY tried to see it...

bummer...

We are planning on trying to get there this weekend. I found a website last night that stated they thought it would be there for about a month. I don't remember what date it said it arrived though. I think it was around the end of July begining of Aug. However the comment on the website didn't make it sound like they knew (at least the website) how long it would really be there.

Indeed, no one seems to know when she'll leave. Before heading down there, you might try calling Spirit Cruises (the harbor cruise company that visits the Pearl) - they should be able to tell you if she's still there. You can get their info (and some info on the Pearl) at http://www.sanpedro.com

Too bad I didn't check the DISboards while I was at Disneyland for the weekend. I would have loved to go check it out on Saturday when we weren't in the parks. DH is still there on business, so I'll tell him to go see it. Too bad I didn't leave the camera with him. Thanks to those who posted the info and the pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter