Bleach works very well on canvas bags!

That looks great! :thumbsup2 I tried the bleach method with some t-shirts before our last trip, and they didn't turn out well at all. I couldn't tell if I did it wrong or if it was just a poor choice of shirts. Maybe we'll try bags some time.

Do you mind sharing a couple tips? Did you dilute your bleach with water? Did you put something inside the bag so the back stayed dark pink, or is the back bleached out too?

That looks great! :thumbsup2 I tried the bleach method with some t-shirts before our last trip, and they didn't turn out well at all. I couldn't tell if I did it wrong or if it was just a poor choice of shirts. Maybe we'll try bags some time.

Do you mind sharing a couple tips? Did you dilute your bleach with water? Did you put something inside the bag so the back stayed dark pink, or is the back bleached out too?

I'm happy to share tips! I've been doing TONS of stuff so I've had plenty of "oops" experiences also. But I suppose that's how one learns, right?

Yes - I dilute with water. For my t-shirts I put a cookie sheet between the two sides but for my canvas bags I haven't. I spray on both sides but it doesn't go through as far as I can tell b/c when I flip the bag over to spray, it's still the regular color on the other side. Once I posted the Minnie bag on my FB page, a friend asked if I could make her a Maleficent one - I liked it even more! Feel free to send me messages if you have particular questions. Happy to help!

Those are so cute! Where do you get your bags and your character shapes to make them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sorry, found your tutorial further down. Love it. Def want to try!

Sorry, found your tutorial further down. Love it. Def want to try!

Yea! Send me a note if you have any questions at all! Like I said - I've made plenty of mistakes so I hope I can help others avoid them. ;)

Love Maleficent and I love how the black goes brown, almost antiquing it!

I love those, what a great idea!

Thanks! I have a turquoise bag and I'm planning on doing some dolphin shirts for the local elementary school in a few months as a fundraiser - then it dawned on me I could do dolphin bags. I swear - my mind is going crazy with ideas and I haven't even STARTED on the dog breed silhouettes I'm dying to make. :cool1:

I've been chatting with the PTA President at our local elementary school and she thinks these bags might be a cool fundraiser for the school! Yea!!! I'm super hopeful that I can help them raise some money. Hope it works out! (We are the Davis Dolphins, by the way. Oh - except my kids aren't in elementary anymore - this is our first year - after a decade! - with no elementary kiddos.)

They look awesome! I'm just starting to make my first bleach shirts and am wondering if you have any tips to prevent bleeding (my shapes often look fuzzy).

And what approx dilution do you use with the bleach and water?

Thanks!

Nevermind, I just saw your great directions in the thread below. Thanks for sharing!!!

No problem. Don't be surprised if you still have some issues. I hesitate to add up the cost of how many shirts haven't worked for me. :scared:

But....I'm learning! And just today I came up with the brilliant (but delayed) idea to request used bright or dark tshirts from my neighbors and friends - doesn't matter how old or torn up they are, so I can practice my designs there first. :)

I thought I had it down but I still oversprayed two brand new shirts for an order two days ago and wanted to scream! Oh, well. Now I can use the backs to try again. :)

I'm learning that in some cases, the stencils work better than the contact paper. I don't have an exact scientific description of how that breaks down.

Not yet, anyway.

:thumbsup2

I did my first bleach pen craft today on a denim tote bag I found at a dollar store... Here's my bag:

This picture is of the bleach on the bag (had to wait an hour before washing).

10615481_10201570977756904_8841309959894507187_n.jpg

I first made a stencil and then used the stencil to make the mickeys. :)
I did both sides of the bag but the second side didn't come out as well as the first one. I don't know why. I found instructions on pinterest on how to bleach denim tote bag. hehehe.

Yes. The interesting thing is that different brands will show up different colors. The black shirts and bags I get at Michael's and Joann's always have this orange-ish hue but someone once told me that some black shirts have a purple hue so I suspect it depends on the particular ink.

I did my first bleach pen craft today on a denim tote bag I found at a dollar store... Here's my bag:

This picture is of the bleach on the bag (had to wait an hour before washing).

10615481_10201570977756904_8841309959894507187_n.jpg

I first made a stencil and then used the stencil to make the mickeys. :)
I did both sides of the bag but the second side didn't come out as well as the first one. I don't know why. I found instructions on pinterest on how to bleach denim tote bag. hehehe.

cute!!!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter