Boardwalk reservation question, and BWV vs. BCV

fatherAZ

Earning My Ears
We are getting ready to make our 1st reservation as DVC members and have some questions. We are interested in BWV or BCV for late January, no std BWV rooms available for the 6 nights we are going. However, they do have preferred but no boardwalk 2BR available. They have boardwalk view for the last day and said we could waitlist for boardwalk view for the other days. My questions are:

1) Is it better to wait list for the whole week for boardwalk view or to make 2 reservation for 5 nights of preferred (non-boardwalk) and last night for boardwalk view and wait list for each day of boardwalk view (we don't mind moving once but not more than that).

2) How is BCV different from BWV? We have 2 small children, 4 and 1, and are looking for kiddie things to do. We also want to be as close to Epcot as possible.

Welcome home!

If I were you, I'd keep the ressie as it is. I suppose you could w/l for the whole week, but personally, I would not want to move (especially with kids as young as yours, where you have to pack up everything for them). The great thing about DVC is feeling "settled" in your home. Also, you can lose an entire day out of your room while moving; checkout by 10, in again by 4 is the worst case scenario, which totally messes up an afternoon nap in the room. As it stands, you will still have a great view, just not directly on the boardwalk, which by some accounts can be noisy at times anyway.

All that being said, BCV is definitely closer to Epcot. Out the villas, down a path by the side of BC, go through a gate and you are ON the bridge that leads to the IG.

Good luck figuring out what works best for your family....

BW view is not worth the risk of having to move - especially when you have small children. I'd waitlist for the whole thing, knowing that the chances are less that way.

Another option (since you said you don't mind moving once), is to waitlist for the 2 days closest to that last day so that you'd have 3 days in the BW view at the end of your stay. There's a better chance that 2 nights would come through at once than all 5 and you would get to see for yourself if the BW view is worth it (over standard view) for the future.

Best wishes -

Just to let you know our recent experience. We were able to book all the nights in BW view except the first and the last, so we did waitlist for those nights.

Neither waitlist had come thru when it was time to book airfare. We kept the waitlist for the first night but decided to return home a day early rather than have to move just before our last night. We decided we could live with not getting settled when we first arrive, but having to pack up a day early just made us think that we would feel like the trip was already over. :sad:

Less than 2 weeks to go and the first night waitlist has not come thru.

I agree with the other posters, waitlist for the whole week, but don't get your hopes up. Next trip, book as early as you can to increae your chances of getting a BW or standard view.

Good luck -- Suzanne

I think I've been convinced that we'll book the preferred view and then waitlist for the whole week. Moving with two kids and grandparents doesn't sound worthwhile. Any suggestions on if we can request a certain garden or pool view room that has a view of fireworks. I've heard that far from the elevator and up high is best.

Also, any thoughts on whether it is worth trying BCV since the points are the same. We are looking for kiddie things to do and a nice view.

Welcome home.

I prefer BWV to BC. BWV rooms are slightly larger and I like the atomsphere better. I also like ESPN, Spoodles and the vendors along the boardwalk, compared to the ebb tide of BC.

We have a studio for April and have two ressies April 12-15 and 15-21st. (We are OKW and BWV owners and had to book April 12-15 7 months out. We got Boardwalk view for the 15-21st. Still no word on 12-15, but we are hopeful something may happen for us when we get there!

Does anyone have a room layout of BWV like at OKW Map?

I'd be interested in a copy...........

Given your exact circumstance, here's what I'd do. If I had enough points, I'd take the BWV night available AND keep the entire rest of the reservation. I'd then wait list day by day for the BWV BW view. Then at 31 days or more out, I'd have to make a decision about which direction to go. Once your inside the 30 day window OR if you don't have enough points to do both for now, it's simply an issue of your tolerance for possibly moving during your stay. You should also keep in mind your use year and banking deadlines as it would apply to your circumstances.

fatherAZ said:
...(snip)....Any suggestions on if we can request a certain garden or pool view room that has a view of fireworks. I've heard that far from the elevator and up high is best.......
Unfortunately, none of the rooms in the Pool/Garden category have a view of fireworks from the balcony. You need a Boardwalk view for a guaranteed view of the fireworks. Some (not all) of the standard view rooms also have a fireworks view. The good news is that you'll have a good view of the fireworks from the Boardwalk itself - and it'll only take a few minutes to get there from your room.

Are you traveling with strollers? If so, I'd suggest you request close to the elevators and just let the view be whatever it turns out to be.

Best wishes -

Thanks for the advice. I made the reservation for 6 nights for preferred view and to wait list for boardwalk view. Any thoughts on what requests we should make for the room? I 've heard both stay farther from the elevator and closer to the elevator so I'm a little confused what to chose. Also is higher up better?

fatherAZ said:
Thanks for the advice. I made the reservation for 6 nights for preferred view and to wait list for boardwalk view. Any thoughts on what requests we should make for the room? I 've heard both stay farther from the elevator and closer to the elevator so I'm a little confused what to chose. Also is higher up better?
If you are traveling with strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs or anyone with mobility issues, it's best to stay close to the elevators, since using the stairways won't be an option for you. There are many stairwells scattered throughout the resort - if you can use them, they provide quick/convenient access to both pools and the walkway to MGM.

The advice to stay farther from the elevators is usually given to those who want the absolute best view of the fireworks AND have a Boardwalk view room. Since you don't, it really doesn't apply to you UNLESS you are very concerned about having the quietest room possible.

The rooms farthest from the elevators tend to be quieter than those closer to the elevators. You will find that the noise from the hallways is much more noticable/annoying than that from the outside and obviously, rooms farther from the elevators get less hallway traffic. In the end, it really depends on your neightbors - and you have no control over that, LOL!

View is such a personal preference. You could ask to overlook one of the pools or the new croquet lawn. You could ask for a upper floor or a lower floor. Most people list their smoking/non-smoking preference first. FWIW, we've not found any BWV room to have a really bad view or to be unbearably noisy - although there were a few neighbors we wished would check out sooner rather than later, LOL!

Best wishes -

I too am a little confused on the BWV views. I have a 6 night stay in May reserved. I wanted 6 nights standard and they only have the first 4 nights standard and the 6th night. So I booked the 4 nights standard and the last 2 nights preferred. Which view is harder to get? Would it be easier to switch to all 6 nights preferred if my waitlisted 2 nights standard does not open up? I only need one night (May 4th for a studio).

n2mm said:
I too am a little confused on the BWV views. I have a 6 night stay in May reserved. I wanted 6 nights standard and they only have the first 4 nights standard and the 6th night. So I booked the 4 nights standard and the last 2 nights preferred. Which view is harder to get? Would it be easier to switch to all 6 nights preferred if my waitlisted 2 nights standard does not open up? I only need one night (May 4th for a studio).
Standard view rooms make up approximately 20% of the total number of rooms at the BWV. Since they cost fewer points than the Prefered view rooms, the SV rooms tend to book quickly.

PV -Boardwalk view rooms also make up approximately 20% of the total number of rooms available at the BWV. They are also popular with members (BW view rooms are not available to anyone who books for cash).

Thus approximately 60% of the rooms at the BWV are PV -Pool/Garden. Since they cost the same number of points as the PV-Boardwalk view rooms, few people book them if they have an option available in the other two categories.

If it is very important that you not move, my advice is to book all 6 nights in the PV-Pool/Garden category now.

FWIW, I think you have a very good chance of getting the SV studio via the waitlist. If it were me, I'd call back on Monday and book the 6th night as standard (Hopefully, it is still available). Then I'd waitlist for the 5th night (May4). It will take some patience, but I believe it will happen for you. If you have enough points, I'd keep the last two nights in the PV booked until the SV night comes through (so you don't have to move twice if it doesn't). No need to give up on the SV waitlist until at least the 31 day mark.

Best wishes -

Thanks CarolMN for the advice. I do have enough points and will keep the last 2 nights PV. The CM thought if I booked the last night standard, that would mean the possibility of moving more than once and with a baby in the party, that would make it tough. So if the waitlist doesn't come in for us, we could switch to a preferred room hopefully and give up our 4 nights in the standard room (making someone happy)--Question: can I book a second reservation for the 6 nights preferred view while still holding this reservation?? I'm such a newbie on the DVC stuff. Just joined and haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

I'd keep the ressie you have and waitlist. You can always say "no" to it. As far as BCV, your 4 yr. old would love Stormalong Bay. The 1 yr. old-not yet. The only way to use the pool is if you stay there. We are BWV owners but used to love pool hopping to BCV which is no longer allowed. Your kids will like BWV pool too. Stormalong Bay pool is something to let them experience at some point in time though. A little older would probably be better though unless you are with them the WHOLE time in the pool. It is definitely not a kiddie pool. Keep that in mind for the future and try it sometime. ::MickeyMo

n2mm said:
Thanks CarolMN for the advice. I do have enough points and will keep the last 2 nights PV. The CM thought if I booked the last night standard, that would mean the possibility of moving more than once and with a baby in the party, that would make it tough. So if the waitlist doesn't come in for us, we could switch to a preferred room hopefully and give up our 4 nights in the standard room (making someone happy)--Question: can I book a second reservation for the 6 nights preferred view while still holding this reservation?? I'm such a newbie on the DVC stuff. Just joined and haven't gotten the hang of it yet.
Sure - you can book as many reservations as you have points. Doesn't matter if the reservations are for the same night. Just keep your banking deadlines in mind.

Best wishes-

You are going in Jan. so the pool might not be a big factor so I would stick with BWV. BWV also has the community hall that BCV doesn't.

SAB has a great sand bar play area with 'sand' that is part of a 2'? deep pool. It is great for little ones. There is also a little baby pool that is only like a foot deep. Might be just right for you littlest one. However I warn families with children in the 'I know how to swim but have to be watched constantly' age range, especially if the number of children outrank the adults! The pool is very spread out and you can't be in one area and watch your child in another very easily.

fatherAZ said:
Any suggestions on if we can request a certain garden or pool view room that has a view of fireworks. I've heard that far from the elevator and up high is best.

We have stayed in a BW view 1 BR 4th floor near Jellyrolls and could see the fireworks ok over ESPN...that is supposed to be the best fireworks view from a BW room. However, that said, we have also stayed in a standard view room twice overlooking the BW entrance, 4th floor and thought the view of the fireworks was much better looking over the convention center. Both times we only requested standard view, upper floor.

We just returned from a short trip and had the same request (standard view, upper floor) and got a room facing the tennis courts. Slightly disappointed, but not bad and we could see the fireworks from MGM. Next time we'll request standard view facing the BW entrance as we like that view better.

CarolMN said:
Standard view rooms make up approximately 20% of the total number of rooms at the BWV. Since they cost fewer points than the Prefered view rooms, the SV rooms tend to book quickly.

PV -Boardwalk view rooms also make up approximately 20% of the total number of rooms available at the BWV. They are also popular with members (BW view rooms are not available to anyone who books for cash).

Thus approximately 60% of the rooms at the BWV are PV -Pool/Garden. Since they cost the same number of points as the PV-Boardwalk view rooms, few people book them if they have an option available in the other two categories.

If it is very important that you not move, my advice is to book all 6 nights in the PV-Pool/Garden category now.

FWIW, I think you have a very good chance of getting the SV studio via the waitlist. If it were me, I'd call back on Monday and book the 6th night as standard (Hopefully, it is still available). Then I'd waitlist for the 5th night (May4). It will take some patience, but I believe it will happen for you. If you have enough points, I'd keep the last two nights in the PV booked until the SV night comes through (so you don't have to move twice if it doesn't). No need to give up on the SV waitlist until at least the 31 day mark.

Best wishes -

Just an update...I got my waitlist (in 2 days), so now I have one studio for 6 nights standard for my daughter, along with the 13 nights studio standard I got for us right away. I thought this was great since I called after the 7 month window considering how hard it is to get standard....woo hoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter