• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boma or Jiko?

SandrainNC

DIS Veteran
Even though I am a very picky eater I am wanting to try something new. I'm not sure whether to try Boma or Jiko (and I'm trying not to let price decide for me). I will have a 3.5 year old in tow if that makes a difference in where we should go. Thanks!! Any information will be very appreciated! Sandra

Absolutely Boma. My DD4 loved it. There is a huge selection. The food is wonderful. The soups and salads are great and the desserts are awesome. Boma is my favorite restaurant in all of WDW (at least out of all those I've tried). It is now a must-do for us each trip. I haven't been to Jiko and would like to try it, but I don't think it's a place for children.

Jiko is a super restaurant, our favorite on property, and is just fine for kids (we have been taking our kids, now 10 and 5, there since it opened in 2001 or 2). You can't go wrong at either place, it just depends if you want the informal buffet at Boma or the more formal, sit down meal at Jiko. Both are great!

As the previous poster stated, both are fine restaurants. One consideration might be that if your child tends to get restless waiting for food, then a buffet (Boma) might be better since you can get food in front of them as soon as you get to your table.
Been there - done that....

You mentioned that you are a picky eater, so I would probably recommend Boma so you can select several things to find what you like. If you get something on your plate that you don't like, you don't have to eat it! However, if you order something at Jiko and you don't like it...that is still your dinner. We have been to Boma a few times for dinner and are looking forward to trying Jiko, but I will miss grazing at Boma, especially the soups. Maybe I can work them both into our dinner schedule. :)
enjoy! dawn

DH is a picky eater. We are going to try Boma this trip. The menu looks fabulous so I'm sure DH and the kids can find something they will like.

Thank you so much for your replies! I was kind of leaning towards Boma, but I saw that filet mignon on the menu at Jiko and knew I would eat that!! Maybe this trip we will try Boma and if we like it then next trip we can try Jiko. Thanks again!

:earsboy:

Sandra

Just an idea for your 3.5 year old - consider letting your child go to Simba's Club house while you eat. The cost for an hour at Simba's club house is about the same as the child's buffet cost - and they get sandwichs or chicken nuggets - which is all my DD will eat anyway - and you get a nice, quiet adult meal. Simba's club house is close to Boma's (or Jinkos) and since Boma's is buffet - you can easily plan your meal time to fit in 1 hour.

We've done this our last couple of visits to Boma's and it is great. My DD enjoys a little free time at Simba's while my DH and I enjoy each other's company with out the competition of a 7 year old.

Just an idea...

Morganne's Mommy

Sandra
I'm glad you asked about Boma I to was wondering about that Buffet I think will try it out also.
My husband and I will be going in Nov with our 5yr old son .
when are you going looks close to when we are ?go:Pinkbounc ::MickeyMo pirate:

I'm with DawnAK. If you are somewhat picky yourself and find you don't like your selection(s) at Boma, you can just walk up and get something else from the buffet. At Jiko you won't have that option. Also, while you will see children at Jiko, you will see many, many more of them at Boma.

Unfortunately, I don't think Simba's Clubhouse is an option for you, since children must be 4 years old to take part in the children's clubs.

Both are great restaurants, but if I could only choose one of them, it would be the great buffet at Boma!

Thanks again everybody!

We are going to be there from Nov. 25 until Dec. 4. We have PS for Les Chefs de France (I know I probably have the name wrong) on Sunday, Nov 28 . We have Boma on Tuesday the 30 and Chef Mickey's on Dec. 3. I am very excited about finally making a decision!

Sandra

Went to BOMA last fall and loved it!!! I actually enjoyed our time there more than the AK park for this reason. Before/after dinner, take a walk out to the Savannahs. We went after dinner and there was only one other family there. The guide who was there held my son up high on the fence so he could see the animals. Man, did he ever. We got such an unbelievable view. We've been to AK twice (both during slow times) and each time never saw what we did that night at AKL. At the park there were always so many people pushing towards a small window. I guess we just never hit it at the right time. Anyway the man spent so much time with us. He was from Africa; here for a year. My DH and I had just as much fun as our son! It ended up being one of the highlights of our entire trip.
Hope you enjoy it as well.

That sounds like you had a great time! We will definitely check out the Savannahs while we are there. I am hoping that one day we will get to actually stay at the AK Lodge. We haven't been to WDW since 1996, so have never been to Animal Kingdom. We are really looking forward to it!!

Sandra :earsboy:

Thanks for asking this question. I've been trying to decide which one to try. Looks like Boma for us. We love the buffet style meals at WDW. A question for those of you who have taken kids...my dd is 11 and a very discriminating (aka picky!) eater. Do they have the usual kid's offerings? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter