Booking flights for June 2009

zogzig

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

We have booked the Viva Italia trip for June 2009. We finally got the renewed passports updated for our sons this week, so I was ready to book flights. I am very much in shock over the estimated costs that I received. The range from Wash DC is anywhere from $1600 to $3100 round trip. From all of you out there that have booked flights: How far in advance did you purchase your tickets, and I know we do not have crystal balls, but I can't help think that prices may come down?!! I do not want to wait too long, but what do you all think? Any preferences on airlines for this trip? I know we are not booking Air Italia since they are in and out of bankruptcy. Thanks for any advice/experience you might have about booking the flights.

I am sorry I have no answer for you but I was wondering what dates your trip was. We too are going in June and leaving from the Balto/Washington area.

We are leaving June 16th for the trip June 17th to the 26th. We are adding one day to the front of the trip.

My flights for Bella Italia (in to Naples and out of Florence) were $1650.00 per person for 6/2/09 - 6/12/09. When we booked our flights for France last year, we did it 10 months ahead and the prices were around the same. As we got closer to the trip, they were well over $2000.00.

For this trip, we're using Delta/AirFrance. I liked them on the last trip, and I didn't find Charles de Gaulle Airport too confusing.

I wish I had a clue if these will go up or down, but with the state of the economy and the rising fuel costs, it's hard to predict. With Alitalia almost out of the picture, the Boston flights are even more limited with no nonstops. I just quoted air for a Viva trip this morning for a client (July '09) and the best I could find, other than Iberia Airlines, was over $1600.00. Iberia has flights for $1222.00 but the online reviews aren't stellar. (Anyone have any experience with them?)

I use www.kayak.com to research flights. Some airlines don't show up there, but most do and it's a good place to start.

As always, one of my long answers to a simple question. :)

Dotti

We are doing the Viva Italia June 11-17. We booked our flights a month or two ago but used Delta points. Each flight was 160,000 points (these are business class tickets - yes, my husband travels THAT much), so I can only imagine the cost is huge. When he booked them, he originally had us flying from Orlando then to Charlotte (I think), then to Rome. But, he called to use the points and the agent told him to fly through Boston and the points went down considerably (from 250,000 points down to the 160,000). Maybe using that strategy will help?

When are you going? Maybe we'll be there at the same time...

By the way, and this probably belongs in another thread, but I believe you can add the pre- and post-nights now for Viva Italia. That was one of the three they were waiting on as they weren't in the system. Emerald Isle and Once Upon a Fairytale are still unavailable to book.

Dotti

Thanks everyone for your replies. I suspected that we might just have to go ahead and book tickets. Unfortunately we do not have any miles so that is not an option.

And we have added a pre-day to our trip. As I was talking to the agent yesterday at ABD she told me that the information was just added on Friday. That is also a little more expensive than I thought it would be. BUT this will be our second trip with ABD (Southwest Splendors last summer) so we are well aware of the value of these trips.

It does not sound like we will overlap with anyone that has posted to this thread, but I hope you all have a wonderful trip.

Kathy

We're going on the Australia trip in Jun 2009. I was considering going ahead and booking airfare now, just to get it over with. But I've decided to wait until January and charge it to my Discover Card, since they traditionally offer 5% cashback on airfare for the first quarter. They've done that for the last few years, so hopefully, it will be the same in 2009. Either way, I think I'm okay since I don't really expect the fare to go up or down before January. Anyway, thought I'd pass that along, since it's one way to save a little money.

I am actually going to wait to book my June 2009 Viva Italia. I thought I had read on these boards not to book a year ahead, that closer to 6 months prior to departure the rates tend to decrease. I know this is a gamble, but am hoping the rates drop. I noticed on Lufthansa they had special fares to Rome, but the flight dates were to be used by the beginning of the year. We'll see how this all works out??

I am actually going to wait to book my June 2009 Viva Italia. I thought I had read on these boards not to book a year ahead, that closer to 6 months prior to departure the rates tend to decrease. I know this is a gamble, but am hoping the rates drop. I noticed on Lufthansa they had special fares to Rome, but the flight dates were to be used by the beginning of the year. We'll see how this all works out??

We booked our Viva Italia flights about 10 months out. So that would have been last November. I can tell you that rates have definitely gone up since then. We left from Peoria and had connections in Atlanta. It cost about $1,250 each. I watched all the time to see if the rate went down. It never did. All our flights were completely sold out. The one to Rome was over booked. So I guess that is why the price only increased over the 10 months. If you are picky about where you sit or you want a number of people to sit together, I wouldn't wait too late. And I would check rates everyday to see the trend.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...my mom, niece and I are going to Ireland with ABD in June 2009. My mom and I have our passports but my niece does not have it yet...does that mean we can't book our flights without passport info? Didn't think that was the case.

Maybe I read your OP the wrong way, but it sounded like you can't book air without having a passport. (yes I am aware you need it for actual travel)

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...my mom, niece and I are going to Ireland with ABD in June 2009. My mom and I have our passports but my niece does not have it yet...does that mean we can't book our flights without passport info? Didn't think that was the case.

Maybe I read your OP the wrong way, but it sounded like you can't book air without having a passport. (yes I am aware you need it for actual travel)

I think perhaps the OP just did not want to book until she had all their passports in hand and was *sure* they'd be able to board. I've never heard of having to have your passport just to book.

Sayhello

We are doing the Viva Italia June 11-17. We booked our flights a month or two ago but used Delta points. Each flight was 160,000 points (these are business class tickets - yes, my husband travels THAT much), so I can only imagine the cost is huge. When he booked them, he originally had us flying from Orlando then to Charlotte (I think), then to Rome. But, he called to use the points and the agent told him to fly through Boston and the points went down considerably (from 250,000 points down to the 160,000). Maybe using that strategy will help?

Just FYI, but if your connection is in Rome, you are not flying Delta on the Boston-Rome leg, you are flying Alitalia. The reduced point usage might be because Alitalia's flights between Rome and Boston (and Chicago) use a very out-dated business class product (Think 1988.), as opposed to flights to Miami and New York City that use a modern business product.

Delta sells tickets using their own flight numbers on Alitalia's non-stop flights from Rome to Boston, Chicago, Miami, and New York City, so for you or anybody else who is weary of flying Alitalia, just remember that your Delta flight might be operated by them. Although Alitalia, in reality, isn't going anywhere. The government will never let them die.

Just to support the above poster. My ds just flew nonstop from Boston to Rome in August. The only nonstop between Boston and Rome currently is operated by Alitalia.

You don't need a passport to reserve your flight.

I am sorry if my post confused you. Getting the passports was what finally motivated me to start looking at flights. I thought I was allowing plenty of time, but after reading all the posts, and the trip being only 9 months away - I realize I need to get our tickets booked. Thanks everyone.

I booked my Jun 2009 trip in August and I've been checking the airfare regularly ever since. Today the fare on the flight I want went down by $8. Nothing to get excited about, but at least it didn't go up. I keep checking the seating chart to see if anybody else has booked, but so far it hasn't changed. I'm still planning to wait awhile before I book.

Our flights were $1,300 with taxes and everything for Viva Italia/Knights and Lights this year. We flew Orlando-London-Rome, Venice-London, Paris-Orlando (British Airways-great.) I booked about 10 months out and they went up about $400pp closer to the date.

I booked my Jun 2009 trip in August and I've been checking the airfare regularly ever since. Today the fare on the flight I want went down by $8. Nothing to get excited about, but at least it didn't go up. I keep checking the seating chart to see if anybody else has booked, but so far it hasn't changed. I'm still planning to wait awhile before I book.

Be careful. A number of people book flights and don't book a seat. Not sure why, but they do it all the time. Our flight looked half empty about 3 months out, but it was 90% full when I called to make a change to our flight from Peoria to Atlanta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter