Booking window for transferred points

DVCSunDevil

DIS Veteran
I have a question for your veterans out there regarding using transferred points. If I have contracts at two different home resorts and transfer points from one to the other, can I use the transferred points to book at 11 months? For example, if I am booking at 11 months but I’m 75 points shy of the points required to get a 2 BDRM can I transfer 75 points from another contract and use them to book the reservation? Or are those 75 transferred points not able to be used until the 7 month window? Thank you in advance!

Transfer points maintain their home booking priority so they would need to be the same resort if booking at 11 months.

Transfer points maintain their home booking priority so they would need to be the same resort if booking at 11 months.
Here is the example I am thinking about:
- I own 200 points at BCV
- I also own 100 points at BLT
- I want to reserve a 2 BDR at BCV that costs 266 points
- I transfer 66 points from my BLT contract to my BCV contract
Would I be able to make the reservation at the 11 month window once I transfer the points? I have a contract at BCV so I should be able to make a reservation at 11 months, correct?

Only the 200 BC points could be used at 11 months. The BLT points could only be used for a BC reservation at 7 months, even if transferred.
Think about it like this. Someone could have a small GFV contract and transfer in 500 SSR points. They wouldn’t get 11 month home resort privilege for 500 pts to use at GF.

Greetings from the UK. Our use year at Boulder Ridge is September. Due to being unable to travel in 2021, we have banked our 2021 allocation to 2022. Out of a dozen other UK owners that we know, 100% have done the same. I suspect the ratio might be as high with all overseas owners together with a large percentage of US owners. My point is that next year will be chaotic in the extreme with unused banked points or cheap rental points everywhere if we are still unable to travel. My question is- will DVC give overseas owners a once only extension of banking year availability ?

Only the 200 BC points could be used at 11 months. The BLT points could only be used for a BC reservation at 7 months, even if transferred.
Think about it like this. Someone could have a small GFV contract and transfer in 500 SSR points. They wouldn’t get 11 month home resort privilege for 500 pts to use at GF.
Thank you for the example! That's what I figured, although I wasn't 100% sure. Considering we can book future stays with zero points in our account (have zero in account now but can book a future stay that will take place after the new UY when points will become available) I wasn't sure if the reservation would be allowed. I can swear I read another comment on here where someone said they were allowed to make the reservation in a similar circumstance, but I can't find the comment.

Transferred points are about a membership and not contracts.

So you transfer points in or out of your membership. A temporary contract is created. It doesn’t actually add to contracts you own.

If all your contracts are under the same membership, regardless of home resort, there is no transferring

So BLT points get used at BLT only until 7 months out and BCV points get used only at BCV until 7 months out. Once you are at 7 months you can used points from both to book any resort available.

Points can never change home resort priority. Even if your contracts were in different memberships and you had to transfer to use, it doesn’t change that aspect.

For example, I have RIV in my Aug UY and some BLT in my Dec UY. I can transfer some to the other but they still can’t be used anywhere else until 7 months. It doesn’t matter what else I own. .

My question is- will DVC give overseas owners a once only extension of banking year availability ?
I strongly doubt it. (Of course, that is only my opinion. None of us know for sure). The previous extensions were granted due to the resort closures. That is no longer the case.

Greetings from the UK. Our use year at Boulder Ridge is September. Due to being unable to travel in 2021, we have banked our 2021 allocation to 2022. Out of a dozen other UK owners that we know, 100% have done the same. I suspect the ratio might be as high with all overseas owners together with a large percentage of US owners. My point is that next year will be chaotic in the extreme with unused banked points or cheap rental points everywhere if we are still unable to travel. My question is- will DVC give overseas owners a once only extension of banking year availability ?

They are currently giving international owners an extension of points until May 2022, but you have to call, explain your situation and have a request filled out.

Is it possible you mean you banked 2020 points into 2021 since it is not yet at the start of the Sept 2021 UY and you can’t bank until the UY starts?

So, maybe this will at least allow them to be extended a little longer.

Thank you for the example! That's what I figured, although I wasn't 100% sure. Considering we can book future stays with zero points in our account (have zero in account now but can book a future stay that will take place after the new UY when points will become available) I wasn't sure if the reservation would be allowed. I can swear I read another comment on here where someone said they were allowed to make the reservation in a similar circumstance, but I can't find the comment.

The same answer covers whether you own the points yourself in a single membership or multiple memberships - transferred points retain their home resort. So a BLT point cannot be used at BCV at 11 months and vice versa.

There was a time, many, many, many years ago where DVC seemed unable to track home resort's of transferred points so what you were talking about could end up happening but it's been years since they corrected that flaw in the software.

Transferred points are about a membership and not contracts.

So you transfer points in or out of your membership. A temporary contract is created. It doesn’t actually add to contracts you own.

If all your contracts are under the same membership, regardless of home resort, there is no transferring

So BLT points get used at BLT only until 7 months out and BCV points get used only at BCV until 7 months out. Once you are at 7 months you can used points from both to book any resort available.

Points can never change home resort priority. Even if your contracts were in different memberships and you had to transfer to use, it doesn’t change that aspect.

For example, I have RIV in my Aug UY and some BLT in my Dec UY. I can transfer some to the other but they still can’t be used anywhere else until 7 months. It doesn’t matter what else I own. .
Thank you so much for that explanation! I read through the transfer rules several times, but they don't go into detail like you just did. So if I understand you correctly, if I owned BLT and BCV contracts under my single DVC membership I would not be able to transfer points between contracts. That makes sense. It sounds like points are meant to be transferred between different owners, which is why it is not contract related but rather membership related. So if I wanted to "pool" my points from two different resorts to reserve a more expensive room I would need to wait until the 7 month mark (again, if I understand you correctly).

Thank you again for the clarification. It's the in's and outs of stuff like transferring and renting (things I haven't had to do yet) where I have questions. You seriously are a great asset! :)

The same answer covers whether you own the points yourself in a single membership or multiple memberships - transferred points retain their home resort. So a BLT point cannot be used at BCV at 11 months and vice versa.

There was a time, many, many, many years ago where DVC seemed unable to track home resort's of transferred points so what you were talking about could end up happening but it's been years since they corrected that flaw in the software.
Thank you! Between you and Sandisw my question is answered. It sounds like I would need to wait until 7 months to be able to "pool" my points for a larger reservation. That stinks, but it is totally understandable and I would have the same rules in place if I were running DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter