Breakfast options on MK Monorial loop

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Traveling to WDW in August and may decide to do an early entry to MK one morning , then taking a break mid-late morning to get out of the sun for breakfast or brunch. Other than character breakfasts (4 adults, so no need:) what are your best recommendations for a late morning meal anywhere on the MK resort monorail loop?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I like grand Floridian cafe. It's generally quieter then other stops, the autmosphere is lovely and above all the food is good. My favorite is the eggs Benedict. They also have a nice selection of teas- I'm not really a coffee drinker, but like some caffeine.

On Sundays, brunch at the Cali Grill is unbelievable, but it's definitely a splurge. Lovely everything, though.

If I'm in the mood for a buffet, I like the Wave. They also have non-buffet entrees, but a lot of the same items are on the buffet. Whole wheat Mickey waffles are surprisingly tasty, and I'm a boring white bread person.

My wife likes the buffet at The Wave, and I like my breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe'. We were a little disappointed at the Tonga Toast at Kona. It seemed a little skimpy from what it used to be.

Last edited:

We also like The Wave. Both the buffet and the a la carte selections are great.

Kona is good too but I agree that the Tonga Toast has changed and not for the better.

Last edited:
aw, that is disappointing that the Tonga Toast has changed. We were looking forward to enjoying it again this trip. It has been several years since we've had it.

The Wave has a great buffet and you can order from the menu as well. Kona is also a great choice

Agree with PPs. Kona and The Wave are both good options. Both are a nice break from MK and both have good food. I've had some really great service at Kona. I've only eaten at the bar at The Wave but the bartenders were great.

Seat of your pants: Capt. Cook's
ADR: Kona Cafe

The Poly would make a nice midday break spot. My fave at Kona is the Loco Moco. Sooooo good!!

Somehow we've never eaten at the Polynesian despite multiple trips over the past 20 years (with the exception of the dinner show). So this will be a fun outing to get out of the mid-day heat!

Hi all,

Traveling to WDW in August and may decide to do an early entry to MK one morning , then taking a break mid-late morning to get out of the sun for breakfast or brunch. Other than character breakfasts (4 adults, so no need:) what are your best recommendations for a late morning meal anywhere on the MK resort monorail loop?

Many thanks!
Polynesian:
Best all-around 3-meal/day restaurant at Disney is Kona. In your case, either breakfast or lunch reservation is good food.

Contemporary:
Wave is the 3-meal place here. We stay at Contemporary, but we have never really enjoyed the food. The buffet breakfast is recommended by many.

Grand Floridian:
-- 1900 Park Fare is a 'better' buffet and you can also meet Characters. Grand Floridian also has a few shops for adults to stroll around (much better than Contemporary). We prefer here to.....
-- Grand Floridian Cafe - a charming spot for both breakfast and lunch. Food is alright.

I feel like my husband and I are the only people who hate Kona. Based on several past experiences in the past couple years, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless I really disliked them. :upsidedow

All our meals there have been mediocre to just plain bad. Overcooked, underseasoned, blah. We kept giving it a chance based on all the amazing reviews I see on the internet but we eventually gave up. The servers are always salty and seem like you're really bothering them by being there too. No thanks.

I'd recommend the Wave if you want a buffet option. I feel like I need to add "The Wave is the best breakfast on property, hands-down" to my signature since I say it so much on these boards. :rolleyes: Grand Floridian Cafe is excellent too, though. Nice coffee and tea selections and a good menu. I'd recommend either.

I feel like my husband and I are the only people who hate Kona. Based on several past experiences in the past couple years, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless I really disliked them. :upsidedow

All our meals there have been mediocre to just plain bad. Overcooked, underseasoned, blah. We kept giving it a chance based on all the amazing reviews I see on the internet but we eventually gave up. The servers are always salty and seem like you're really bothering them by being there too. No thanks.

I'd recommend the Wave if you want a buffet option. I feel like I need to add "The Wave is the best breakfast on property, hands-down" to my signature since I say it so much on these boards. :rolleyes: Grand Floridian Cafe is excellent too, though. Nice coffee and tea selections and a good menu. I'd recommend either.

Thanks for the fair warning....going to risk it and will try to remember to report back! Have stayed at GF villas so have eaten there and want to try something new. Also I prefer the theming of Polynesian for this particular group over the Contemporary's (not to mention that I and one of our guests are anti-buffet people!).

Kona Cafe at the Poly for the amazing Tonga Toast. It's a banana stuffed french toast that is fabulous. It is also available at Capt Cooks if you wanted to do quick service instead of table service.
I would agree on both choices

You can also order off the regular menu at the Wave as opposed to doing the buffet, FYI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter