Bridge at OKW ??

abner1776

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a great long weekend at OKW. It was our first visit to OKW having stayed at VWL, BLT and BWV previously.

OKW was was very different that the other DVC resorts but we had a great time and would very much consider a return visit in the future.

Since we stayed in bldg 46, it was a good walk to hospitality unless we scooted over to South Point and waited for a bus to come by, but return trips from Hospitality to our room always involved a very long walk and I was wondering if DVC has ever considered a pedestrian bridge over the canal from say bldg 28 over to the main pool area. It would certainly shorten the long walk.

Maybe the long walk was only an issue for us because we used ME and it seemed like just about everyone else at OKW had a car and were staying for much longer than a normal 7 day vacation.

We just returned from a great long weekend at OKW. It was our first visit to OKW having stayed at VWL, BLT and BWV previously.

OKW was was very different that the other DVC resorts but we had a great time and would very much consider a return visit in the future.

Since we stayed in bldg 46, it was a good walk to hospitality unless we scooted over to South Point and waited for a bus to come by, but return trips from Hospitality to our room always involved a very long walk and I was wondering if DVC has ever considered a pedestrian bridge over the canal from say bldg 28 over to the main pool area. It would certainly shorten the long walk.

Maybe the long walk was only an issue for us because we used ME and it seemed like just about everyone else at OKW had a car and were staying for much longer than a normal 7 day vacation.

It would have to be pretty high so that the boats could go under. I think it would ruin the view of the canal.

And members would probably have to pay for it. I'd bet most OKW members wouldn't want to do it anyway. We've owned there since 1997 and stayed there maybe twelve times. I see no need for that at all. There is already a bridge, plus you can take any bus from Peninsular Road back to your area if you really don't want to walk. But the walk is so nice.

...Since we stayed in bldg 46, it was a good walk to hospitality unless we scooted over to South Point and waited for a bus to come by, but return trips from Hospitality to our room always involved a very long walk ...

There is an internal bus from HH that will take you back to South Point (or any other bus stop). You could also walk to Peninsular Road and catch any bus - the next stop will be South Point.

A bridge across the canal would only save about 200 yards of walking and would still require additional infrastructure along the busy roadway where you'd need to cross to get back onto the sidewalk. That's a lot of expense for such a little distance - especially when transportation is already provided to all areas of the resort.

Why would Disney see a need for one, as it has been 21 years since OKW opened, and bus transportation is available? If members want this bridge, members will pay for it.

As far as the actual length the bridge from bldg 29 across the canal and up to the pool would save less than 1000 feet of walking, less than 1/5 of a mile, at least according to the pathing feature on Google Earth. Pool area to bldg 29 using the current bridge (Yellow path) is about 1456 feet. A bridge crossing at bldg 29 (Red Path) 746 feet, so the costly proposal would cut off 710 feet, and a great deal less when you consider the long and costly ramps needed to make it compliant with wheelchairs and scooters to get to the height required for boats to pass under it. Then add the cost of lighting the bridge for night time use.

To put the length in perspective, the bridge would save approximately the distance from the Living Seas to the Imagination pavilion. A minor walk when put into the perspective of a WDW vacation.

Then there is the permitting issues, as it would be considered construction in a wetland area.

OKW_Bridge1.jpg

All monetary, zoning, historical issues aside it looks like it would create a nice little loop OP.

My understanding is they did consider one in the mid to late 90's but it didn't go forward. At this point I wouldn't expect anything to be done.

It would have to be pretty high so that the boats could go under. I think it would ruin the view of the canal.

I agree, and I disagree that it's long walk. I've spent far more time walking the halls of Kidani than the time it takes to walk from building 46 to HH. I can walk that in about 6 minutes. I've done it many times, and I'm "old" (pushing 70).

OK, OK ...I'm getting the feeling that no one thinks this is a good idea, but I am glad to hear that it was considered years ago and then shot down... and I really could use the exercise anyway.

I agree, and I disagree that it's long walk. I've spent far more time walking the halls of Kidani than the time it takes to walk from building 46 to HH. I can walk that in about 6 minutes. I've done it many times, and I'm "old" (pushing 70).

I agree (not the part about being old)! I like the layout of OKW, much prefer it to a hotel type setting with long hallways etc. I understand the AKV layout, the long halls are necessary to maximize views of the Savannah but I much prefer to walk amidst the beautiful landscaping of OKW, than the hallways of Kidani (though I only really mind it when I'm schlepping groceries, thank goodness for 16 year old boys).

As a side note, so many suggest changes to OKW like the bridge, or the addition of more drink refill stations, or adding a food court, well not only do I like it the way it is, I bought into it for the way it is, a true timeshare!

I agree (not the part about being old)! I like the layout of OKW, much prefer it to a hotel type setting with long hallways etc. I understand the AKV layout, the long halls are necessary to maximize views of the Savannah but I much prefer to walk amidst the beautiful landscaping of OKW, than the hallways of Kidani (though I only really mind it when I'm schlepping groceries, thank goodness for 16 year old boys).

As a side note, so many suggest changes to OKW like the bridge, or the addition of more drink refill stations, or adding a food court, well not only do I like it the way it is, I bought into it for the way it is, a true timeshare!

Here, here! Totally agree.

OK, OK ...I'm getting the feeling that no one thinks this is a good idea, but I am glad to hear that it was considered years ago and then shot down... and I really could use the exercise anyway.

I'm kind of glad you asked the question. I always wondered about this also. We weren't members in the mid to late 90s, so I didn't know. Since we're birders, I can relate to protecting wetlands. From now on, when we wonder why there's no shorter way to the HH, I'll just say "protecting the wetlands, protecting the wetlands" under my breath. That'll work. Then I'll justify an extra muffin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter