bus schedule at DXL

Belle72

Mouseketeer
We're staying at Dixie Landings. My sister is in a wheelchair and her health problems don't give her much stamina even in the wheelchair (lung/heart issues). Are all the buses that come to take guests to the parks wheelchair accessible or will we have a longer wait until one comes by? How long would you guess we'll wait? Do they go from the resort directly to a designated park or do they hit several in which case she could be in for a long ride? How long should it take to get to a park? Thanks so much!

No not all the buses will have lifts. 95% of Disney's buses are lift equipped though so it isn't often when you get one that isn't equipped.
Only once did I get really stuck and actually rudely treated on my past trip. First bus not equipped, 2nd bus stpped then drove off without me, 3rd bus full and boy was the driver nasty when I commented that he was the 3rd bus to pass, finally a 4th bus picked me up and was very apologetic that I had to wait so long.
Buses run every 20 minutes. There are 4 or 5 different buses that will come in the 20 minutes before the next one for the park you want.
I would suggest you request building 14, 15 or 16 which are close to the main building and the first stop for DxL. That way you have less a chance of the 2 wheelchair spots being filled before it gets to you. It only stops at PO before getting to that spot. It also avoids having to cross any of the bridges to get to the main building and those bridges and rough and uncomfortable to ride over.
Most of the time you won't wait more than about 20 minutes. Figure another 5 - 15 to get to your park of choice once you are on the bus. The longest it has taken me to get anywhere in WDW has been 1 hour and that was from Ft W to Boardwalk via TTC early in the am and transportation had to call the bus for Boardwalk to come pick me up.

Pooh

I posted last night, but the post didn't stay posted. I agree with what lisapooh has to say.
95% or more of the busses are lift equipped, so it's not often that you have to wait longer. If you are at one of the parks or at DD, there is usually a transport control C M someplace who can help you. We've only has a few times where we had to wait extra. One was at DD at closing time. The first bus was not a lift bus, the CM radio'd the next bus to find out when it would be there and I forgot if it also didn't have a lift or if the lift was broken. Anyway, the third bus finally was OK. In about 11 years of using WDW transportation, I can't say we've had many problems.
The bus stops all have roofs, so you will most likely be able to park her out of the sun while you are waiting.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
—

[This message was edited by SueM in MN on 02-05-01 at 06:21 PM.]

I dont know much about the WDW bus system cuz Ive only used it once on a WDW day w Dan Murphy...it was good tho...

What I do know about is DxL.....I was supposed to stay there for 5 days in Dec....I had to be moved the night got there.... the room was SOOOOOO inaccessible its not even funny... (IMHO) I need a roll in shower....there was one...but you had to be able to walk around the toilet to get to it...I cant :(

On top of that...to me anyways... the layout of the property at Dxl is FAAAAARRRR from wheelchair accesible....but again IMHO :)

I needed a king bed instead of 2 fulls becuz I will roll off the other side becuz of balalnce problems...NADA!!! The king beds are in regualr or non roll in shower rooms...they dont have both in one room...

We were movoed to the Contemp.....Dont get me even started there!!! *shudders*

Like I said....just my own .02 :D

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif
dischat.gif

Obviously the same architech worked on DXL as worked on the wheelchair accessible sinks in the hospital I work at. They work fine for someone in a wheelchair who can stand up or is 7 feet tall. For everyone else, they are set so far back in the counter that you can't even wash your hands.
The idea of a roll in shower that you have to walk to get to is pretty ridiculous, though.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter