• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Buying Disney cards vs, straight savings

EllenMurphy

Mouseketeer
Hi,

Is buying Disney cards over time worth it for your Disney vacation? I am not staying onsite but is it worth buying them over time to use towards the parks? Is there any benefit to that strategy vs. just saving money?

I like to use them as you don't have to pay additional exchange fees, they are exchanged at the rate the day you use them (which obviously fluctuates). My credit cards charge a fee and the rate seems higher even without that fee. I also like to spread out the cost and will buy them over time. I used them to pay for my onsite stay in 2019, including tickets and meal plan at the time. I then had additional ones for anything else I would need. I did take some cash (USD) with me but try to limit that as the exchange rate is never as good as the gift card rate. If you are buying tickets directly from Disney you could use them for that. And I believe the mobile ordering app finally allows you to use them on there now (used to only be credit card or dining plan).

At the time I was getting them I was actually able to use petro points to redeem for them as well, but I don't believe they allow that any more. You can try to get them with Airmiles or PC Points, even just adding them to your purchase of groceries or whatever and using the points program to help pay (you aren't directly paying for the gift card that way but it's basically a shell game style switch if that makes sense).

I won't say I don't buy them, I will if I have a MC target spend and I won't reach the total otherwise. I also have cashed in points for them. We have a DCL family cruise coming up and it is going to take a lot of $$ so I know I will use them. Having said that, I normally don't put money into them. I purchase a bit of US here and there instead. That way I can use it anywhere and I'm not locked into Disney spending.

Lots of people don't like this idea, they prefer Disney GC's so you have to make your choice. Consider everything before putting a lot into the GC's. I just like knowing that my US is bought and paid for and I don't have to wonder what rate I will get when I use them. You could get a rate of $1.10 per Dollar when you use BUT you could get a rate of $1.50 per dollar. You just don't know. I'd rather know that I have $100 US as a for sure instead of having a $100 GC that could be worth $80...or $85...or $90, who knows??

Well, given the fact that Disney cards tie your money up with Disney (not necessarily a good thing right now!), I would only go with straight savings. What if the border stays closed? What if you decide you want to go somewhere else? What if an emergency comes up and you need the cash? Savings is the way to go.

I personally would never do it.
If I get a Disney gift card for Christmas or my birthday awesome but I am not going to buy a bunch for a tiny discount and think that its saving me much. (Usually its a 5% savings. You'd have to buy $1,000 just to save $50.)
I read all too often where people bought gift cards and then have to cancel the trip. You don't get a cash refund that way. You get Disney gift cards...
Do you potentially want hundreds or thousands of dollars in Disney gift cards or would you rather have that money put back into a bank account or on a credit card where you can then use it for something else?

I do it because I save at a minimum 5% sometimes as much as 20% on Disney gift cards. To me, it's worth the effort.

I do it because I save at a minimum 5% sometimes as much as 20% on Disney gift cards. To me, it's worth the effort.

If you can actually save 20% and don't mind the potential for having to cancel and end up with the gift cards then that seems much more worth doing.
However with the usual 5% it seems like such a small amount to save to tie up all that money.

I like using them because it avoids the exchange fees and I find I get a much better exchange rate. You could always just put money in savings bit by bit. And then purchase some just before you need them. It would accomplish them same as buying them over time but your money isn’t tied up in cards.

Where are you saving 5%? I'd be interested to know that. I've never seen an offer for discounts on DGC in Canada.

I believe the exchange fee on credit cards is 2.5%. For cash from a bank most are probably 2-3%. So those are your savings. I have a credit card that gives 2.5% back in foreign purchases so essentially no fee. My buddy works in the US so I have no fees to get cash. I still buy some gift cards for birthdays and Christmas for the family. Makes life less stressful to know the kids purchases are covered and it sets a limit for them. I would not be comfortable having a significant amount tied to gift cards. Unless I was going to use it online to pay for park tickets soon thereafter maybe.

Hi Ellen
I have been thinking about this question.
My reasoning for buying and saving Disney Gift cards is I can always find a reason to spend a few extra dollars on my family.
The Disney Gift Cards once bought are kind of *MY* little treasure chest of savings.
I think a bit of both would be a good idea.
Hugs
Mel

I think it depends on if you have a concrete plan on how you are going to use them or not, and how you acquire them.

We do something Disney every few years for sure, whether it's a park trip or cruise. So even if we are waiting until 2022 to decide on the next trip, I know we're going at some point. If it was a "we've never gone, want to go, maybe at some point" type trip, I likely wouldn't put the $$ into gift cards.

I "use" my PC Points (buy the equivalent in groceries) to get my Disney GC right now. Again, if I wasn't sure how/when we were going, I wouldn't be putting "my" cash into them.

Last Disney Cruise we took, we knew we were going to spend a lot on excursions, so it was a great way to save up for them over time. So much to consider!

I have a USD account and put money in that when the rate is good. This way I know what the exchange rate is and not chance the rate will go down around my trip.
When I get to Disney I usually buy a GC to use on dining and another for suvies. This way I’m not whipping out my credit card multiple times a day. I feel it’s more secure, and helps me keep track of my spend. And even at WDW cards get compromised.

We use gift cards to pay our dvc dues and to pay for our meals on a trip.

I’d never use them to fund the whole trip. Don’t want the money tied up.

The dvc dues are a given expense. Don’t even need to leave home to pay those!

As for the cards for meals—I don’t buy them until a trip is imminent. So again, no money tied up.

I do like coming home to no credit card bill.

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I will buy a few for my boys to use for any souvenirs! I did not know that you could get a US account!

We use PC points and Airmiles and buy groceries to offset the cost of the Disney GC we are getting. We just get them throughout the year and it is a large part of the payment for our DVC dues each January. Then I try to wait till the dollar is at the best that I think it will be in the payment window. I then but a Disney GC for the remaining funds required and it has worked out the last couple years as a good savings. For our last trip I purchased some GC's before we left as the was ok at the time to pay for all our dinning and it also kept us to a budget. We have US accounts and US credit cards but this just has worked better for us overall so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter