Buying Disney Pins in bulk on ebay

Has anyone ever wondered where and how these sellers are able to get these pins in bulk to sell on eBay? I just bought my first and only lot of 15 pins and although they look fine several of them are listed on pinpics as questionable. The seller I bought from had very high feedback and is at 100% but they also have many lots to sell and some as much as 100 pins. Where would they all come from if they weren't scrappers or counterfeits? I feel pretty dumb now in retrospect.

They buy them in bulk from the Chinese counterfeiters. But it is a losing battle to try to post that on every thread. People just want cheap pins to trade. They don't care if the pins are authentic, they don't care of other traders are going to end up with the counterfeit junk, they just want cheap pins. There is NO WAY to profit from selling an $8 pin on eBay for $2. Pretty simple.

This is a very sore subject for me. I have read so many posts where people are whining that authentic pins are too expensive, their kids should be able to trade pins, so they are going to buy counterfeits and their kids are going to trade!

Then when they get called out on it they claim it is "too hard" to tell real pins from the fakes. Hello? If the seller has THOUSANDS of the SAME PINS they are counterfeit! It DOES NOT MATTER if the seller has good feedback and it DOES NOT MATTER if the pins have a Disney back stamp! :headache: People who are leaving positive feedback wouldn't know a fake pin if it bit them. And of course the fake pins have a Disney back stamp! The POINT of a counterfeit object is for it to look real enough to pass off as authentic! :mad:

They are not necessarily counterfeit or scrappers when bought in bulk from eBay. But if they are all newer pins, LE, CM, and/or HM, they are more than likely unauthorized overruns which have been sold is massive amounts to redistributors. This bypasses Disney, and their markup. It also bypasses checks that ensure QUALITY CONTROL, as well as ensuring that pins are not produced over the maximum allowed, in the case of limited edition pins.
I can say from being involved in some fibreglass construction for Disney hotels, the master molds are not sent back to Disney, or ordered destroyed by Disney. I'm guessing it may be similar with the dies involved in pin maufacturing.
I would really, really encourage you not to by in bulk off eBay, even though they probably are tradable, it really hurts the hobby by 1. turning limited edition pins into unlimited edition, and 2. by flooding the market with lower quality pins.

Does anyone know of any legitimate sellers on ebay (i.e. no counterfeits)?

Thanks.

WOW! When I saw your thread, I was really excited to tell you about my recent purchase of 100 pins for $162.50 (no shipping). My kids and I got the shipment this past weekend. We sorted through them and each of us picked out the ones that went with our individual collections. I thought I was getting a really great buy and was very happy to share this with you. Now, the past few posters have really rained on my parade. I guess I will not be doing it again.:eek:

WOW! When I saw your thread, I was really excited to tell you about my recent purchase of 100 pins for $162.50 (no shipping). My kids and I got the shipment this past weekend. We sorted through them and each of us picked out the ones that went with our individual collections. I thought I was getting a really great buy and was very happy to share this with you. Now, the past few posters have really rained on my parade. I guess I will not be doing it again.:eek:

I've only recently gotten into the pin trading. Previously, I've only bought a few pins here and there that just appealed to me. I thought that pin trading would be something new and fun I could do and try to expand my collection after reading lots about it on various different boards.

After reading the pin collecting boards and such, I learned about the scrappers and overrun pins. I have bought in bulk before and some of the pins I bought were indeed on these lists. So I thought, okay, I'll see how I can tell a "good" pin from a "bad" pin. After reading all the information, I have to conclude that for the great majority of these pins, there is no way to tell a "good" one from a "bad" one. The only way to avoid getting a "scrapper" or an overrun pin is to not buy or trade those particular pins at all -- because they've been made from the same molds as the "legitimate" ones. I did see in some places where they said that with some pins if you have a legitimate one and set it next to a "bad" one, the differences then can be seen. But with most of them ... effectively there is NO difference. So there is no way to verify whether you have a legitimate pin or not.

For me, a difference that is no difference is no difference. If the intent is to trade pins and to have fun, especially for kids (but even for adults -- I am an adult and childless and thought the point was to have fun) then let people have fun. The heavy duty collectors who are interested in value and appreciation and investment have identified which pins this is happening with and should know to avoid them. I don't have that knowledge, for the most part (not having committed the "bad" pins to memory), and I can guarantee that kids don't know or probably even care.

I traded pins last weekend at the Food & Wine Festival for the very first time and had a fantastic time. All of the CMs I met were excited to let me see their pins, some of them claiming they had "better" pins than their compatriots! LOL! It was fantastic fun and I decided I just wouldn't worry about whether or not the pins I got were "worth" anything. I traded for pins I liked and wanted for my collection.

I traded pins last weekend at the Food & Wine Festival for the very first time and had a fantastic time. All of the CMs I met were excited to let me see their pins, some of them claiming they had "better" pins than their compatriots! LOL! It was fantastic fun and I decided I just wouldn't worry about whether or not the pins I got were "worth" anything. I traded for pins I liked and wanted for my collection.

I agree. Any Disney pin has a potential to be a scrapper pin. When I first started trading, I worried about scrappers and constantly checked my pins on pinpics.com. That get old real fast because most of the pins listed have scrapper warnings. I finally decided not to worry about the "value" of pins and just traded for whatever I like, whether it be a small cutie pin, a eurodisney pin, or a hidden mickey pin. My advice is just to trade for fun. You can worry about the scrapper problem if you want but it won't be fixed as long as Disney looks the other way.

:cheer2: GREAT PINS! OVER 100+ they are $2 Disney Discount Trading Pins /prices are Over $6.99 at the parks!

PAGES Of Disney Trading Pins Priced at $2 Each. .
At all The Disney parks. Pins start at $6.99 ea up ward in price into the hundreds.
So you can save a lot over the park prices here.

it's a great way to stock up for your next trip or start a collection!

Disney Pin Trading is an exciting, interactive experience It's fun for the whole family Start a new collection or exchange pins for the ones you've always wanted.

It's simple and fun! Just visit Walt Disney World, the Disneyland Resort or Disneyland Paris, locate a Cast Member wearing a lanyard with Disney pins and find a pin you'd like. Then present another Disney pin to the Cast Member in trade. Bringing home the magic is that simple
(( Listed On Facebook .))
>>> Disney Discount Trading Pins <<<

Thank You And Have A Great Disney Day !pirate::flower3::cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter