Buying DVC or Renting Points- need advice please!

One other thing to think about is to run numbers with going down every other year. You may be able to extend the trip a bit when not going every year. If you were to go every other year for 10 days instead of say 5 days every year, your overall cost would be less. This is due to travel costs to get there as well as tickets being less with the longer trip.

I would only recommend buying if you can spare the cash to pay in full when purchasing without putting your cash reserve below say 6 months of cash flow needs if you were to lose all of your income.

We’ve owned since 2003 and never regretted our purchase-we were able to pay cash for our points (300 is plenty for us). We are fortunate that we can pay maintenance dues without thinking about it and could honestly sell the points for more than we paid for them.
What stood out for me is your comment that money is tight-my advice for what it’s worth, is give yourself some time before making such a big commitment.
Resales will be there next year and you’ll have a better feel for where you are financially.

My opinion would also be to wait, but for different reasons.
The resale market is the most expensive I've ever seen it right now.
What we bought 5 years ago is going for 50% more now than we paid in 2013-same property.
We would add on in a heartbeat, if the prices drop.

I agree that you should wait. A reason for waiting that hasn't been heavily discussed here is your bucket list of places to stay. If you have resorts and views that you are set on booking across properties, renting is the only way to be sure you can make that happen. For example, if you buy the poly you might not get beach club at 7 months.

The folks on the dvc boards will start every conversation with "dvc isn't an investment" and "dvc doesn't save money". Before you entertain buying spend some real time talking over there. They talked me out of buying a few months ago. I will someday, but the time isn't right.

P.S. Don't marry someone that doesn't love disney!

IMHO Cash is king for getting what you want (renting) and not being locked in. And for me locking into something that I wouldn't be saving money on till year 8 or year 12 would be too long a recovery period. Would I necessarily even be interested in going to Disney annually at the point in my life (the point where the savings kick in)? Would my kids necessarily be interested in going annually do Disney then? Maybe you know the answer is yes. Maybe you could rent points or sell if not fairly easily.

My son is older now and is a photographer. We have done many Disney trips, but instead of Disney for a big trip next year we are doing the Badlands/Custer State Park/Mount Rushmore for scenery and wildlife. And in 2020 for our main vacation we are off to Europe (we have a discount carrier that is flying out of our city now) and doing Paris and Belfast -- and yes we will go to Disney, but only a one day park hopper at Disneyland Paris. Shock, but as much as we love Disney, variety is the spice of life and we have other interests too.

And maybe it's not something you would ever consider, but perhaps your kids still want to do Orlando, but want to spend time at SeaWorld/Busch Gardens/Universal some year. Why pay a premium to be at Disney if you are mostly doing things offsite. You can rent a lovely offsite timeshare for about one third of the cost of DVC (at least that's what I found when I did the math -- I was looking at spring break).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter