Buying prescription glasse on line

Have you ever done it? Have you been happy with the results?

I don't like the glasses in most of the places near me and they're expensive. While I do have a regular use pair from my doctor (which I don't need to wear all the time), I don't want to pay a fortune for a pair of reading glasses that I'll use in the bedroom or around the house, so I was thinking of just getting a pair from a discount online company, but then they start with the questions like "what's your 'PD'?" I don't know and the doctor isn't legally allowed to tell me,

While I want the discounted glasses, I still don't want to pay $100 for something I can't wear anyway.

My very expensive eye Dr told me to just get the ones at the dollar store because the close up aren't as finely tuned as something you need for driving a car, I don't think the PD is a big deal for readers unless you use them a lot. My prescription is only a 1 and I only use a reader when getting a splinter or reading the really tiny print on a Motrin bottle so they are fine for the 2 times I used them.

I used Zenni recommended on here for backup regular glasses because I lose mine all the time (only use for some things) and they are great to leave in my car and to use when I'm looking for my good ones, which I can't find without glasses. So anyway if you don't like the idea of dollar tree glasses Zenni is good.

I wear contacts most of the time, but need glasses every now and then. I got a pair this summer from Zenni and they are fine for the price. I got super basic ones with no extra stuff on the lenses and they were only $20.

I have astigmatism and use readers from Walmart. My doctor told me eventually they would stop “working.” He said something about seeing “shadows” on the letters. I can already tell that he is right. I’m currently at +200 for the readers. I know I will have to breakdown and spend the money on a couple pairs real reading glasses. Keep one pair at home and one at work. I wear my readers more than my distance glasses.
Yes! Shadows. That's what it looks like. People always ask if it's blurry and it's not really blurry, just that there are little shadows of the letters.

I did Zenni too, friend loaned me a tool to measure pd, which apparently I got wrong. Be very careful with this measurement, have someone else help or double check your measurement.

If you have a complicated prescription (which you don't), I would not go online. I have bad astigmatisms in each eye, plus I need bifocals. Better to leave that to the professionals. I ended up not using my zenni glasses for long because I could read music in them.

But for simple reading glasses, I think Zenni would be fine as long as the pd measurement is accurate.
Do you know where you get this magical tool? What does it look like?

I have used eyebuydirect and 39dollarglasses (most are not $39) for years.

I doubt I’ll ever buy glasses at a store again. I used to pay $350 at the store for polarized RX sunglasses. At 39dollarglasses - they’re about $120.

Have you ever done it? Have you been happy with the results?

I don't like the glasses in most of the places near me and they're expensive. While I do have a regular use pair from my doctor (which I don't need to wear all the time), I don't want to pay a fortune for a pair of reading glasses that I'll use in the bedroom or around the house, so I was thinking of just getting a pair from a discount online company, but then they start with the questions like "what's your 'PD'?" I don't know and the doctor isn't legally allowed to tell me,

While I want the discounted glasses, I still don't want to pay $100 for something I can't wear anyway.
Your eye doctor is giving you incorrect information. You are absolutely entitled to a copy of your prescription and, by federal law, he/she/they must give it to you. Two seconds of research turned this up.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-eyeglass-rule
The first sentence on that page--the official FTC page--says: The Federal Trade Commission enforces the Eyeglass Rule. It requires eye doctors — ophthalmologists and optometrists — to give patients a copy of their prescription – whether they ask for it or not. It’s the law.

Your eye doctor is giving you incorrect information. You are absolutely entitled to a copy of your prescription and, by federal law, he/she/they must give it to you. Two seconds of research turned this up.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-eyeglass-rule
The first sentence on that page--the official FTC page--says: The Federal Trade Commission enforces the Eyeglass Rule. It requires eye doctors — ophthalmologists and optometrists — to give patients a copy of their prescription – whether they ask for it or not. It’s the law.
Hmm... Except I'm in Canada. I wish we had a rule like that. I have the prescription, but not the PD number

I wear my readers more than my distance glasses.

Yep, so do I. If I'm not at the computer I'm either doing some sort of craft which requires close work or even reading. I just got the notice from my eye doctor today to come in for an exam, and will probably ask what a new pair of readers will cost me since I'm starting to squint a bit through these.

Hmm... Except I'm in Canada. I wish we had a rule like that. I have the prescription, but not the PD number

In the US the PD isn't part of the Rx, it is normally measured by the optician when getting your glasses fitted. Is it possible you could call the last place you got your glasses and see if they have your PD measurement on file?

I have purchased a couple pair of readers from Zenni and have been happy with them.
I'm at a point where I could use progressives and I am hesitant to order online. I used to work for an eye doctor and I know the mark-up on glasses is insane but I do feel better about having them actually fitted.

In the US the PD isn't part of the Rx, it is normally measured by the optician when getting your glasses fitted. Is it possible you could call the last place you got your glasses and see if they have your PD measurement on file?

I have purchased a couple pair of readers from Zenni and have been happy with them.
I'm at a point where I could use progressives and I am hesitant to order online. I used to work for an eye doctor and I know the mark-up on glasses is insane but I do feel better about having them actually fitted.
Hmm. I wonder if they'd do that, since they'd be losing business.

My most recent pair are from Warby Parker. I went into one of their brick and mortar stores and they measured it for me. I went in a few months later to have my sunglasses adjusted and asked if they could buff out a small scratch I had gotten on my regular glasses. They couldn't, but the optician told me that they had a one year guarantee. They could replace the lenses immediately, or he would suggest I wait until closer to the one year mark and get a fresh new pair. I did wait and went in February. The type of glasses I had were unable to have just the lenses replaced and they no longer carried that frame, so an employee called me and we picked out 5 pair to be sent for me to try. I picked a new frame and sent them all back. I got a new pair of $349 glasses (metal frame, bifocal) free. That is what I call customer service and I will definitely go back when I need another pair.

Zenni Optical. Paid less than $20 for mine shipped, including a glasses case and cloth. No issues, I love them. I used their measuring tool and they fit perfectly! Never paying absurd amounts for glasses ever again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter