• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calena's quest for healthy living - advice welcome!

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
:flower: Hi everyone on WISH. I am 40, married with three kids, 10,8,5. I work part-time.
I feel like I have struggled with weight/size issues all my life, but in reality things have been bad for about 13 years since I broke my foot and was in a cast for awhile and had to have two surgeries, so a lot of time in a foot cast. Three pregnancies, the complacency of a happy marriage, a love of food and an unwillingness to stick to an exercise program have me where I am today, which is 35 lbs from where I would like to be.
I am also having borderline high blood pressure for a couple of years and I want to make some healthy lifestyle changes. I know if I am at a healthier place physically I will also be at a better place emotionally and a better wife/mom/friend/daughter/worker etc.

I know this will be a process... and these are the goals I have set now. They may change and evolve. We'll see.

LONG TERM GOALS -
:) Weight - 140
:) Exercise - 6 days a week
:) Food - Limit caffeine, salt and sugar, white flour products
:) Spiritual - Daily Bible reading

Short term goals
:sunny: Compete in Spring Fling - Jog 5K (May 29) I CAN DO THIS!!!!

Weekly goals
:) Jog/walk program 4 times this week
:) Weights 2 times
:) T-Tapp 2 times
:) No caffeine
:) No eating after 7 p.m.
:) 8 glasses of water

So, I begin this journey. For health. For me.
The sun is out. I will go for a jog/run today. Goal - walk 3 minutes jog 3 minutes! :flower:

Welcome to WISH!!! :wave:

Your goals look great--very sensible and healthy.

Best of luck on your journey!!!

Hi Calena! Welcome to WISH! Glad to have you here. You have great goals! I look forward to reading about your progress!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Hiya Calena!! Sounds like you have a wonderful plan and now a willingness to stick to it. Best of luck to ya! Go onward, look upward! You can do this, the WISH boards are GREAT inspiration! :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:

WELCOME to the WISH journals! :wave:

Everyone here is great and you will find that journaling goes along way in keeping you accountable. Good luck on your journey. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Thanks for the welcome!
I feel good that I am making a difference in my wellness!
I met some of my goals, and didn't meet others last week so this is a new week and I'm off again. I had a fall and hit my head (not while exercising) so I took it easy for two days during the week and it sort of got me off my schedule. Slight bruising on one ankle, but I kept stretching and doing my 5k training and that was good! It was a stupid fall, just slipped on some stuff, but it did take the wind out of my sails and scared me quite a bit too!

Short term goals
:sunny: Compete in Spring Fling - Jog 5K (May 29) I CAN DO THIS!!!!
update - pulled out my sponsorship form and got a sponsor so now I am even more committed!

Weekly goals
:sunny: Jog/walk program 4 times this week - I DID IT!
:sunny: Weights 2 times - Not even once :guilty:
:sunny: T-Tapp 2 times - Not even once :guilty:
:sunny: No caffeine - I did it :flower:
:sunny: No eating after 7 p.m. :rolleyes: Well - except for the Marje's party - and a couple of late nights, but did not snack in front of TV at night!
:sunny: 8 glasses of water :sunny: I DID IT!

So - new week. Same goals for this week. I am feelng good about my preparation for the 5K. Last week I would walk for 3 minutes and run for 4. I am also doing 40 minutes when I go out instead of 30 like I used to! :cool1:

GOALS THIS WEEK
:sunny: Jog/walk program 4 times this week
:sunny: Weights 2 times
:sunny: T-Tapp 2 times
:sunny: No caffeine
:sunny: No eating after 7 p.m.
:sunny: 8 glasses of water
:sunny: Memorize a verse of scripture

Hi Calena! Glad to hear from you. You're policing yourself. Very nice!!! I can't even do that yet!
What is T-Tapp? I'm thinking
"dancing due to cold-medicine delirium" when you say that!

Hi Calena!!!

Great job on keeping up with those goals and exercising self discipline!! How are you feeling after your fall?

T-Tapp is an exercise program which works your muscles from inside out. It promises a leaner body. I ordered the tapes last year. The moves are low impact but I am DRENCHED in sweat when I finish the 45 minute workout. I have done it sporatically and would love to do it more frequently. My issue is fighting for the use of the TV, but I just need to do this for ME!
There is a big website on T-Tapp and there are even exercises you can learn online without buying anything.

I'm doing good after my silly fall. No bad bruising so I am ready for a better workout week. I also signed up for the May exercise challenge so that will help!

I need to go for a jog this afternoon, and should be able to before the kids get home from school! Tonight is the mother/daughter at church so DD and I are making cookies later to take! :rolleyes:

calena said:
T-Tapp is an exercise program which works your muscles from inside out. It promises a leaner body. I ordered the tapes last year. The moves are low impact but I am DRENCHED in sweat when I finish the 45 minute workout. I have done it sporatically and would love to do it more frequently. My issue is fighting for the use of the TV, but I just need to do this for ME!
There is a big website on T-Tapp and there are even exercises you can learn online without buying anything.

I'm doing good after my silly fall. No bad bruising so I am ready for a better workout week. I also signed up for the May exercise challenge so that will help!

I need to go for a jog this afternoon, and should be able to before the kids get home from school! Tonight is the mother/daughter at church so DD and I are making cookies later to take! :rolleyes:

Sounds fun. I need to change up my workout. Thanks, and have a great day!

Sounds like you have GREAT goals and are really determined to make them. KUDOS!!! Hard to keep up with kids, but don't give up. We must just keep going!

Good job at meeting some of your goals. Glad to hear that you are recovering well from the fall. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Great exercise time so far this week. Tuesday jog/run for 40 minutes. I jog 4 minutes/ run 2. I feel GOOD about this. Wednesday biked 5.5 miles and 15 minutes of weights - total 35 minutes. :cool1:
Food - not the best but ok. Went to mother/daughter on Tuesday night at church and that was a late supper but I did not overindulge. Making healthy meals for the family helps!
:sad1: Complicated emotional stuff going on. Family garbage that just brings me down. I am so easily affected/influenced by the things going on around me. I feel stressed and unhappy. I usually turn to food about now, but that will just make my health/self-esteem worse, so I am NOT doing that! I need to learn to become more resilient and not let myself be so troubled by negative stuff. There are some things I cannot change, but I worry about them and just get all worked up. "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about these things" Philipians 4:8
:flower: My lesson - I don't need to think about the garbage and the negative junk. I need to think on the good things and all the blessings I have in my life. New goal - memorize Philipians 4:8
I was also reading last night about living in the present! So much of my time I worry about the future and re-live the past in negative memories. Life will be over and I will have spent it worrrying about the future and agonizing over the past. I need to get real!
So, today is a new day. On goal for exercise this week continues! Today I will do my jog again!

You are doing good. Writing about your feelings instead of turning to food will help you alot.

Have bad things happened in the past? Sure, they happen to all of us, but you can't change that, it is over and done with, so learn to see what good did happen. If you look hard enough it is there. Can we change what will happen in the future? No, but we can be informed so that we make good decisions. I always figure that if you can live with the consequences then you are prepared for what will come from your choices for the future. Many times we worry about what will happen so much only to find out it wasn't necessary. It's that old saying, "God grant me the strength to change the things I can and the patience to accept the things I cannot change." :angel:

Hang in there. Coming to the boards is much more fulfiling than eating. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

I love that verse Calena...such an excellent reminder for our lives!! I think I'm gonna write that on an index card and put it on my fridge and pantry doors. Thanks for posting it! I'm so glad to see that you're breaking out of the habit of emotional eating. You're gonna start feeling so much better and ready to tackle those stressful situations! Keep on going, girl! :)

:sunny: Having issues with my computer and have been wanting to post! I have been doing great with my exercise and feel so motivated! I want to have my 800 minutes in and want to do well on the 5k!
So, last week -

:sunny: jog/walk four times - I DID IT! :cool1: :cool1:
:sunny: weights two times - I DID IT! :cool1:
:sunny: T-Tapp two times - I did it once - ;)
:sunny: No caffeine - I did it and I had headaches this week?
:sunny: No eating after 7 p.m. Most of the time ;)
:sunny: 8 glasses of water I DID IT!
:sunny: Scripture for the week - Phil 4:8 Whatever is pure, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is right, whatever is admirable, - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about these things.

SO - I feel good about the week. I loved my T-Tapp session. Need to do that more this week. I just feel drenched in sweat and really use different muscles! I also did great work in the garden with the kids etc. The pool is open at my inlaws so we went for a swim and that is great for me. I love the water.

So - New week
:sunny: Jog/run - 4 times
:sunny: T-Tapp - 2 times
:sunny: Weights - 2 times
:sunny: No caffeine
:sunny: 8 glasses of water a day
:sunny: Memorize scripture

Great job meeting your goals. Keep up the good work. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

Way to go! :cool1: Sounds like you're doing a great job meeting your goals!

Don't worry about the headaches--that's very normal when you stop drinking caffeine--it will go away in a few days. In the meantime, lots of water!!!

Have a great day. Keep up the good work!

Did 30 minutes jog last night. Great day outside - hot. Plan on swimming with the kids this afternoon. Unfortunately it suppossed to get cooler later in the week.
Bit stressed out about the meeting tonight, but will do my best. My kids have been involved in a swimming lessons summer program in our neighboring municipality for several years. I have helped out as a parent coordinator, well it looks like they are planning on closing the swim program which I think is disappointing and short-sighted (money issues) so tonight is a public meeting. Unfortunately I don't anticipate many there, just because our swim club has been dwindling in numbers so much. I find it such a shame because as I struggle with fitness issues I want to equip my kids to be healthy and fit and part of that is learning to swim!

They always seem to do away with the good stuff. :wizard: Hope the meeting goes better than you are expecting. Have a good day! ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter