California DVC Owners Group

It seems that everyone seems to forget that when Disneyland first opened you had to pay for each attraction separately and the "E" ticket attractions cost more than the "A" tickets (and that was after paying an entrance fee). So it seems like its going back to the old ways. I don't know if I'll pay extra for a single attraction, but it's possible if we haven't been able to get on it during a trip and if we have people with us that don't get to the parks as frequently as we do.
Yes, but even a few years before the A-E ticket books were replaced by "Magic Key" tickets (each universal), the park entry price was ~$6/adult. So park entry was cheap ... and rides were priced separately. Currently, with park entry remaining high ... there is no means for those who simply wish to "join the family for a sit-down dinner" to do so w/out forking out the high entry fee. We can't simply talk A-E tickets w/out also recalling the differential in entry costs.

Yes, but even a few years before the A-E ticket books were replaced by "Magic Key" tickets (each universal), the park entry price was ~$6/adult. So park entry was cheap ... and rides were priced separately. Currently, with park entry remaining high ... there is no means for those who simply wish to "join the family for a sit-down dinner" to do so w/out forking out the high entry fee. We can't simply talk A-E tickets w/out also recalling the differential in entry costs.

Good point. The cost to just get into the park is much higher (even when counting in inflation).

Ah, the good old days! Except we‘re forgetting about inflation. If we account for that, the cost would’ve been about $220 in 1955.

I don‘t think I can post the link here, but there’s a really good, fairly recent article that gives a nuts and bolts breakdown on the calculations. It’s very interesting reading and helps put things in perspective.😊

Tomorrow is the day and I’m ready! Ready for what might you ask? The first day we can actually have our DL passes back! We won’t be AP holders, I guess we’re being referred to as Keyholders now? Whatever, it’s an annual pass to me and I’m so excited! Took the day off with my son, so we’re heading to Disneyland tomorrow to enjoy the day. Anyone else? 😃

Tomorrow is the day and I’m ready! Ready for what might you ask? The first day we can actually have our DL passes back! We won’t be AP holders, I guess we’re being referred to as Keyholders now? Whatever, it’s an annual pass to me and I’m so excited! Took the day off with my son, so we’re heading to Disneyland tomorrow to enjoy the day. Anyone else? 😃

View attachment 599601

We considered going this afternoon after school/work, but we’ve decided to wait a bit. Hope the day is great, and please let us know how everything goes!

View attachment 599601
How long did you wait online to get your AP/MK? We went to go to ticket booths at 7:00 AM but were told passes only sold online. Also, no credits for unused tickets could be applied towards your new AP/MK even at ticket booth. We were hoping to upgrade at ticket booth and head into parks near rope drop. We left with our sad faces on.

We considered going this afternoon after school/work, but we’ve decided to wait a bit. Hope the day is great, and please let us know how everything goes!

The day has been amazing, dare I say just like old times or just about!
@Castillo Mom, Hope your day was a roaring success! Your outfit it adorable :)
So ... how was the Magic Key lounge??

We’ve had an amazing day! Plan was to take it easy and mainly soak up the atmosphere sprinkled with a few rides in between. We arrived around 10:00, scanned into DL and then had breakfast at Jolly Holiday. After that, we jumped into the virtual queue for Key Passes then decided to hit up SM, ST and Buzz. After those we were still in the queue but noticed we were able to purchase via the app which wasn’t available when we initially tried. Took all of five minutes to upgrade our single day tickets to the Dream Key. After Rise, we hopped over to DCA for lunch, more rides and are now back at DL for dinner at Bengal BBQ and we’ll end the evening with Indy. Perfect day!😬

As for the lounge, we didn’t get to check it out this time but will soon!
How long did you wait online to get your AP/MK? We went to go to ticket booths at 7:00 AM but were told passes only sold online. Also, no credits for unused tickets could be applied towards your new AP/MK even at ticket booth. We were hoping to upgrade at ticket booth and head into parks near rope drop. We left with our sad faces on.
Sorry you had trouble. Disney posted instructions for upgrading so we knew to bypass the ticket booths. Hope you get your passes soon!🙏😊

Last edited:
Sorry you had trouble. Disney posted instructions for upgrading so we knew to bypass the ticket booths. Hope you get your passes soon!🙏😊
We went to City Hall today and they very graciously refunded the money spent on my two 2-day passes that I couldn't apply to my new Magic Key pass on "opening sale day". I thought that to be excellent customer service (and I admit to being a little surprised, over the years when similar happened they would NEVER issue a refund). Thank you, Disney!!

Came by to see if any of my California neighbors had any thoughts on the announcement of WDW APs. To get to the point, I’m fine with the prices. We’re paying $1,400 for the Dream Key so the Sorcerer pass at $899 will work just fine for us and we‘ll get at least two trips out of it, possibly three. Since we had already purchased regular tickets via a 3rd party authorized retailer, we‘ll end up paying the difference of about $275 as long as Disney still allows bridging of discounts like they have in the past. Either way, I’m happy the wait for APs is finally over. Three more weeks to go for our trip!

Last edited:
Came by to see if any of my California neighbors had any thoughts on the announcement of WDW APs. To get to the point, I’m fine with the prices. We’re paying $1,400 for the Dream Key so the Sorcerer pass at $899 will work just fine for us and we‘ll get at least two trips out of it, possibly three. Since we had already purchased regular tickets via a 3rd party authorized retailer, we‘ll end up paying the difference of about $275 as long as Disney still allows bridging of discounts like they have in the past. Either way, I’m happy the wait is finally over, Three more weeks to go for our trip!
Is there any hope for DVC discount?

Edited: oops, I see that IS the DVC pass!☺

Came by to see if any of my California neighbors had any thoughts on the announcement of WDW APs. To get to the point, I’m fine with the prices. We’re paying $1,400 for the Dream Key so the Sorcerer pass at $899 will work just fine for us and we‘ll get at least two trips out of it, possibly three. Since we had already purchased regular tickets via a 3rd party authorized retailer, we‘ll end up paying the difference of about $275 as long as Disney still allows bridging of discounts like they have in the past. Either way, I’m happy the wait for APs is finally over. Three more weeks to go for our trip!

Not the worst. Came about four months too late to be helpful to us, as we visited in May and have another trip planned in November but likely won't be back until January 2023 or later. The new blackout dates won't affect us either way as we don't travel at the holidays. I can certainly see how these changes will be a tough pill to swallow for many fellow DVCers.

I'm considering buying a pass at this price to activate when the time is right...but would probably be more fun to just dive in and get a Magic Key already.

I know a lot of people weren't happy with the prices, but I'm totally cool with it. Paying $899 for the sorcerer's pass isn't bad at all considering the value is there by just going twice in 12 months.

I am like you. Price did not bother me at all. I still have a Gold pass that I got since I renewed to that when my Premier pass was cancelled. I assumed the passes (for bother WDW and DL) would go up, so I was pleasantly surprised about the DL price and the WDW one is fine with me. I do wish it still included the photopass, but I only have to add it to one pass in the future, so not so bad.

Not the worst. Came about four months too late to be helpful to us, as we visited in May and have another trip planned in November but likely won't be back until January 2023 or later. The new blackout dates won't affect us either way as we don't travel at the holidays. I can certainly see how these changes will be a tough pill to swallow for many fellow DVCers.

I'm considering buying a pass at this price to activate when the time is right...but would probably be more fun to just dive in and get a Magic Key already.

Yup, we ended up getting Dream keys because we just couldn’t wait to get back to DLR.

I know a lot of people weren't happy with the prices, but I'm totally cool with it. Paying $899 for the sorcerer's pass isn't bad at all considering the value is there by just going twice in 12 months.

Right! After our September/October trip we’ll be back in WDW in February for nine days and I’m considering adding a third trip. 😬

I am like you. Price did not bother me at all. I still have a Gold pass that I got since I renewed to that when my Premier pass was cancelled. I assumed the passes (for bother WDW and DL) would go up, so I was pleasantly surprised about the DL price and the WDW one is fine with me. I do wish it still included the photopass, but I only have to add it to one pass in the future, so not so bad.

Ok, I’m sensing a pattern here. I’m wondering whether the cost of APs out here in comparison to WDW is what’s making the price increase a bit more palatable, $1,299 for two parks with no block out dates vs $899 for four parks with minimal blockout dates? I’ll take it!😉

Made a little visit to Napa Rose last night hoping to take advantage of the 5 hours validated parking to walk over to the ticketing booths and apply our $20 discount to a new Magic Key. Arrived about 55 minutes before our reservation and after making it through security and standing in line for 25 minutes, we gave up knowing we would never make it the counter and complete the transaction by dinner time. Walked back after we ate and even at 8:15, the CM told us to expect at least a 45 minute wait. We bailed, and my brilliant plan to spend $$$ on dinner to get free parking and $20 off went down in flames LOL. I wish there were an easier way for us DL DVCers!

The good news was that my first meal at Napa Rose was wonderful, and I found a Member spirit jersey at Acorns in my size.

Have a great week, y'all and thanks for listening to my little vent session!

We bailed, and my brilliant plan to spend $$$ on dinner to get free parking and $20 off went down in flames LOL. I wish there were an easier way for us DL DVCers!
Awwwww, sorry! We ordered online and didn't bother with the $20 discount given the ridiculous logistics of trying to make that work given parking, park reservation, etc.

Awwwww, sorry! We ordered online and didn't bother with the $20 discount given the ridiculous logistics of trying to make that work given parking, park reservation, etc.

We also just got them online. The hassle for the $20 discount did not seem worth it to me either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter