• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Camcorder 101?

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
I don't know if we'll take this plunge or not, but after reading all the threads recommending taking one and seeing how much prices have come down over the years PERHAPS we might purchase/rent/borrow one. Can anyone give me the condensed idiot's guide to buying a Camcorder these days? There's got to be a reason why some are SO much cheaper now. W

Sorry folks, I posted somehow in mid-sentence!

Anyway, we know nothing about them. Have 4 kids & are thinking small is best given all else we'll be lugging & keeping dry in the parks. This will be our only trip to Walt Disney World.

Thanks for any advice.

Go to somewhere like Future Shop. They are really good at answering questions. We just bought a new one (a Sony), and while we were in the parks last year, we both agreed (my twin sis and I) that we would definatly get a calmcorder with the mini tv screen view finder. Just beware because they will probally try to up sell you, so ask differerances...eg the one we bought didn't have it where if your shaking and recording it might pick that up...but for an extra $100. you could get one that minimizes that. We looked at each other and said we don't shake that much. We have not used it yet, a friend borrowed it on his vacation, and he liked it.
Hope this helps. Remember ask questions.
Twinz

Disnee Dad Says................................Can't help you tech wise, but here is just a little advice for at the parks. I wouldn't bring it everyday, and I would do a lot of filming outside the parks, where the admissions meter isn't running!! Hotel stuff, DD stuff. If there is a parade you want to tape, go ahead and film some park stuff on the day you tape the parade. I know they aren't that big,but if I bring mine 3 times and you bring yours seven you have a 233% greater chance of it getting damaged or stolen. Ours is pretty small but old, and you would be surprized how heavy just a couple extra pounds can be.
My only other advice, is to start planning for a second trip, even if it is a few years off!!

Thank you for the replies so far.
LOL! Plan ANOTHER trip! I already don't have a life because I'm on these DIS boards too much :) I don't think my family wants another year to go by where they can't get on the computer at all because of my new obsession!

I replied on the other board but I'll add some of it here. I have the Sharp Viewcam and I love it. I have many hours of Disney World tape. If you can afford it, get one with the screen that flips out on the side. That way you don't have to hold the camera up to your eye all the time. You can actually walk and tape without running into things, but then you can close the screen if you tape in a dark place so you won't see the light from the screen. Also look for one that you can tape in very low light. Some of the other features are nice, but if you are going to take normal family pictures all of those extra's cost too much.They really are light now so they're not too heavy to carry around. Of course I'm sure someone will tell you to get a digital camera that can also take still shots, but you're talking about a lot more money. Check out the sale ads, you might find a great deal and get more camera for less money.

Only suggest one camcorder for the parks, will fit in your pocket, fannypack smaller than my hand, has a flip our screen and weighs LESS than 12 oz! Its Sonys Micro MV Dcr-Ip5
I just bought one for our trip, kinda spendy 1299.99 new at best buy, but you can get new ones at Ebay for around 800.00:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I agree with disneefamily and only take your camcorder a few times. I got a great deal on a camcorder and some cameras at Ebay. Ritz camera store has auctions on Ebay and you can get some great deals. I got 3 cameras for $9.99 and a $299.99 Sharp Viewcam camcorder for $190.00 + $10 shipping. I got these specifically for WDW. You can find these auctions by typing in ritzauctions in the search engine. Sometimes the auction will say the model was a store display, but every item I have purchased has been brand new in the box.

I was advised not to take a camcorder to the parks for the first time and to take a day or two towards the end of your vacation to go back and do your favorites again. This is the time to take a camcorder. You would not believe how much extra weight a small camcorder can be after walking all day.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great trip!!!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter