Camping in Gatlinburg

Dreaming of Disney

Mouseketeer
Has anyone here ever camped in Gatlinburg. My DH and I are going there this weekend. We have never been to Gatlingburg and are hoping for a relaxing getaway. We don't have any must do's besides going horse back riding. Does anyone have any suggestions of must see places. We are nature people although we enjoy just about anything. Thanks!

Get your reservations early--it's a zoo especially this time of year!

Watch the traffic--it's a zoo especially this time of year!

Have a great time--it's pretty especially this time of year!

Barbara
240 days to go

Thanks Campingcorgi. We already have our reservations. We are staying at Le Conte Vista Campgrounds. We are tent camping and it's supposed to be cold, but we won't have the kids so I think we can keep warm. ;)

One of my favorite things to do in that area is to visit Cades Cove. It's an auto tour through a beautiful valley and allows you to see how people lived back when the area was first settled. It takes an hour or two to drive through, depending on how many other people are there and how often you stop to look around. If you like to hike, Laurel Falls is nice. If you decide not to stray too far from Gatlinburg, I heard the new aquarium is terrific. I haven't been there myself yet, but I have family near there and they all loved it.

I have actually stayed at Le Conte Vista. It was years ago, but it was really nice when we were there.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Shelly
1 week to WDW and counting!

I have never camped in Gatlinburg, but have been several times including Oct. If you've never been...get ready for such beauty.. Be sure to go into the park! And be sure to eat breakfast at the Pancake Pantry!!!! YUMMY!!! Also, a very nice restaurant to eat at is the Burning Bush-right on the edge of the park! Have a GREAT time!! I wish I were going.! The aquarium is nice!

Dreaming......

We are actually going camping at Gatlinburg this summer (2001) and then heading down to STone Mountain after that. Any information you can give me on your trip would be great. And esp. the campgrounds. YOu can email me if you want! OR anyone that has infor for me...thanks!

Also consider Townsend, TN on the other side of the Nat'l Park; which has several nice campgrounds. It's a little harder to get to but is much less crowded and commercial than Gatlinburg.

We enjoyed the campground during the times we were there, but I think next time we will take the kids and camp in the park. Probably at Cades Cove or Elkmont.

I just got through reading your trip report. Sounds like you had fun dispite the rain and dh having a tummy ache. Do you have any info on the camprounds you were talking about?

sltrawick, I found the campground we stayed at in the Gatlinburg Visitors Brochure. I got this off of the website. I think it is www.gatlinburg.com. They also have some listings of other campgrounds. If you are camping in a tent, you will need to call, because some of them don't allow tents.

As far as camping in the national park. You can get some more information on the park website at http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/home/

Just click on camping under recreational opportunities.

I hope this helps!

Dreaming,
We will be camping in a popup camper. Thanks for the web sites...I'll give them a look at. I'm always on the look out for a nice, clean campground. We love to camp...but we also like it nice (of course FW is our favorite place to camp)...anything like that in Gatlinburg? LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter